Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2023, 03:02 PM

50 posts, read 87,103 times

Advertisements

Visiting Portland in mid-September. Which is a better day trip? Mt. Hood or Pacific Coast. Just want to see some great scenery. I am not an avid hiker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2023, 04:06 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,102,471 times
I'd suggest going to the coast. From Portland it's mostly easy to drive to Cannon Beach/Seaside or to Lincoln City. Stay in any of those towns, explore, eat, shop, and walk as long as you want on the beach (find some agates or seashells). If you want something more planned, then see what events are going on that interest you during your day trip anywhere from Astoria to Newport and head to the appropriate town. There are also many, many state or federal parks, and viewpoints along Hwy 101. You can slowly drive your way up/down the coast and stop as often as you want. Each pullout will have a great view and likely a great beach.

https://traveloregon.com/things-to-d...-oregon-coast/

Old 08-15-2023, 07:32 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Depends what you are used to and enjoy.

If you're coming from the mtns of Colorado, WY, MY, NM... then go to the coast.

If you are coming from the coast of the Mediterranean / South Pacific... you might like the mtns better.

Personally, I would do both. (They are only a couple hrs apart)

Nothing like the fresh, crisp morning air in the mtns. (The coast is often fogged in until noon), Be at Timberline for overnight / sunrise. Head down to Hood River to a coffee and nice drive to Portland via Columbia Gorge Scenic Highway and arrive by 10-11AM, Then head for Cannon Beach / Ecoloa. Arrive just in time to warm up in the sun.

Beach trips on the left coast are safest driving southbound (not crossing traffic at scenic pull-outs)
Afternoons and sunsets are great on the coast. I'd be at Hug Point on low tide. Or Pacific City, Manzanita, or Twin Rocks for long sandy beaches.

If you want to lodge at the coast, there is plenty to do for an entire day (or week).

If you like tide pools / sea life exploring, there are only a few places on the Oregon Coast with those features. but there are many good views. (Sept and Oct have really nice orange sunsets due to wildfire smoke).

I would stay at the coast or the mtns, but not Portland metro area. QUIET vacations can be very memorable. !

Old 08-16-2023, 03:51 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,044,643 times
Either one will be very nice. I'd choose a trip to the coast if you have the whole day to explore.

Old 08-18-2023, 05:13 AM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Depends what you are used to and enjoy.

If you're coming from the mtns of Colorado, WY, MY, NM... then go to the coast.

If you are coming from the coast of the Mediterranean / South Pacific... you might like the mtns better.

Personally, I would do both. (They are only a couple hrs apart)
In the same day? That's a three hour drive from Mt. Hood to the Coast. Probably 6 hours total driving. That wouldn't leave time to enjoy either place. Though I guess if the OP just wanted to take a long drive and not stop for more then short breaks it might work. Drive to Timberline Lodge for breakfast, then drive to the Coast and eat lunch and then drive back to Portland.

Old 08-18-2023, 05:42 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Or.... As I mentioned.... Start your day already at Mt Hood, then spend the afternoon and night at the coast. (Enjoy 8 hrs of daylight at the coast).
There are 24 hrs in my days. Seeing both in the one day available, saves the time of driving RT to either. If op must spend the night back in Portland.... stay at coast for sunset, go have a nice supper, then drive a car that has headlights back to Portland. You'll arrive long before midnight. Btdt many many times from Hood River area. Really quite simple and enjoyable. I seldom do my driving between vacation destinations burning precious daylight.

YLMV

Old 08-18-2023, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Or.... As I mentioned.... Start your day already at Mt Hood, then spend the afternoon and night at the coast. (Enjoy 8 hrs of daylight at the coast).
There are 24 hrs in my days. Seeing both in the one day available, saves the time of driving RT to either. If op must spend the night back in Portland.... stay at coast for sunset, go have a nice supper, then drive a car that has headlights back to Portland. You'll arrive long before midnight. Btdt many many times from Hood River area. Really quite simple and enjoyable. I seldom do my driving between vacation destinations burning precious daylight.

YLMV
The OP's post says that he is visiting Portland and wants to take a day trip. A day trip means you go there and come back to the place you started on the same day. I gave the suggestion how he could accomplish what you suggested. Take the 1 hour drive from Portland to Mt. Hood, and eat breakfast at the Timberline Lodge. Then take the 3 hour drive from Mt. Hood to the Coast, and eat lunch. Then when he is ready he can take the 2 hour drive back to Portland. That's a lot of driving for one day, but it's doable, as long as he doesn't spend too much time in any one place.

Old 08-19-2023, 08:18 AM

Where do you suggest having lunch on the Coast?

Old 08-19-2023, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titorivera View Post
Where do you suggest having lunch on the Coast?
It depends, where on the Coast? The Oregon Coast is 300 miles long. But there are lots of good places to eat. It's a tourist area.

Old 08-19-2023, 09:28 AM

No idea. Looking for the most direct place from Portland to the Coast. Never been there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland