Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 02:54 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,314,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltinjohn View Post
Count Bostonians in that mix also. People with cali plates are also not welcome in my homestate of MA for the most part. Honestly, I think its funny myself to try to bust someones balls with a cali plate.
What do Bostonians have against Californians, do you know? Just curious.

Old 09-20-2008, 02:58 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,294,608 times
LOL!! Inadvertantly came across this thread. I am laughing because of three reasons. One, a HUGE number of "Oregonians" are transplanted Californians within two generations back. Two, the emigration of Californians and others to Oregon, Colorado, Washington, Idaho, etc. has boostd their economies and added to hundreds of thousands of jobs and economic diversification. Three, many California communities decry the increase of non-California natives in exactly the same way.

To everyone: GET over it!! Instead, work on building healthy communities that are robust to shifts in migration.

S
P.S. The Boston comment was hilarious and the most far-fetched. Boston is a town of immigrants from all over. Unlike the Paciic NW, Californians are but a small part of their immigration. Far more from NY, the Eastern Seaboard, and overseas...

Old 09-20-2008, 04:56 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,157,398 times
I'll admit to a few angry anti-Californian moments. But I'll tell you, they all happen in traffic. And they're no different than the ant-Washingtonian moments. Or just the plain old, anti-idiot driver-moments. When I have someone tailgating me, or driving up my backside at twice the speed limit ... as they blow by me, and I can see they have out of state plates ... I'll give it an exasperated "pfft .... Californain." Which, I guess, is a lot better than the name I'd probably call the guy with the Oregon plates.

Does that mean I hate Californians? No ... just agressive drivers. Because realistically, that's the only place they stand out (otherwise, "they" look just like "us"). And who knows if they're really from California. It may be a used car they just bought.

Old 09-21-2008, 02:05 AM

544 posts, read 1,473,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
LOL!! Inadvertantly came across this thread. I am laughing because of three reasons. One, a HUGE number of "Oregonians" are transplanted Californians within two generations back. Two, the emigration of Californians and others to Oregon, Colorado, Washington, Idaho, etc. has boostd their economies and added to hundreds of thousands of jobs and economic diversification. Three, many California communities decry the increase of non-California natives in exactly the same way.

To everyone: GET over it!! Instead, work on building healthy communities that are robust to shifts in migration.

S
P.S. The Boston comment was hilarious and the most far-fetched. Boston is a town of immigrants from all over. Unlike the Paciic NW, Californians are but a small part of their immigration. Far more from NY, the Eastern Seaboard, and overseas...

I dunno dude it just sounds frikken idiotic how californian blooded people end up hating other californians. Its like do they not know their roots or took a match and lit part of their brain on fire through their ear when they've mistaken it for a q tip.
What part of what I said was far fetched? The busting balls part? I actually did it when I was out in Portland like when a cali car came close to me as i crossed and it kept rolling without letting me by, id turn around and make lil motions like id run towards the car and make faces or cross before they came then walk back the other way in an instant like i wanted to come up to the car and open the door on em.
Boston indeed is above Portland as far as city culture goes and funny thing is Portland was gonna become Boston. Be funny to imagine how it be if it went that way like if Beaverton would be Somerville also or the outer cities of the Boston OR being what they are in the NE today.

Old 09-21-2008, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
What do Bostonians have against Californians, do you know? Just curious.

Celtics and lakers.
Pretty much sports.
Altho as a whole they dont like L.A or Oakland but its mostly sports fueled.

Old 09-21-2008, 12:33 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,480,003 times
Since I most of my friends are native Oregonians, I hear this quite often from them. But I don't really know if they are serious or not. I have one friend who was born here who dislikes all potential transplantees no matter where they are from because she sees them as competition for jobs and housing.

Old 09-21-2008, 05:05 PM

Thats understandable as if some place was my homeland forever, I wouldnt like out of town people all of a sudden coming. I even got territorial when NH drivers or canadians came through the state lol or at least were ruder on the roads to em so I can understand how these people would feel. A few here and there wont kill but when its lots of em, it can.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:48 PM

3 posts, read 12,347 times
My husband and I recently moved up here from California and we heard from serveral friends that Oregonians do not like Californians. I have never heard of people getting their cars keyed or anything serious. I think it's really more of a joke than anything, because there are SOO many people living in OR from CA, and from everywhere else for that matter. What do you expect in a big city like Portland, anyway? I don't think being from CA made it any harder for us to find jobs so much as just being from out of state did (no one had ever heard of the companies we worked for or knew anything about the schools we went to).

Old 09-21-2008, 09:54 PM
GB1

116 posts, read 428,266 times
It's just plain xenophobia. It's clear enough when it occurs in an uptight Bible belt-ish community, but in a "progressive" place like Portland, it just takes on weirder, more self-defensive and self-justifying forms.

The comment by Minervah's friend ("who dislikes all potential transplantees no matter where they are from because she sees them as competition for jobs and housing") I've heard a few times from others, and I always wondered what they were afraid of. It seems directly oppositional to the way Oregonians like to see themselves -- open, friendly, pioneer-spirited.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:57 PM

I know right GB1, I think about that from time to time if I were to ever get a place there to rent. Im thinking the build internet relationship avenue is best to try to set something up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland