Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 01:44 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,296,828 times

Advertisements

Well, I don't think I've ever been so depressed about having to leave a place at the end of a vacation... we LOVED Portland (and Oregon in general). It is a beautiful city and Oregon has the most spectacular scenery our eyes have ever seen (and we only saw a small part of the state). The coast was like something out of a fairy tale, and Mt. Hood was simply magical. Portland itself was much more urban than I was expecting and the focus on public transit, cycling and pedestrians was very refreshing. We loved the weather there (it stayed around 60-degrees the entire time) and we did not find the cloudy skies depressing in the least. If that's what Portland is like 9-months out of the year then it must be heaven on earth! I found the light rain very refreshing and I've never wanted to be outdoors so much as I did there. It was a drastic difference from Austin where it's so hot that all you can do is stay inside with the A/C on. Here are a few things that stuck out:

1. I wasn't sure about the area at first because it was just so drastically different from what I'm used to, though it grew on me quickly.

2. The people was SO nice and SO polite! They were also very laid back and low-key. It was like someone turned the "volume" knob down to "1" when we got off the airplane at PDX. People here in Texas are very loud and in your face, while people in Oregon were quieter, calmer and much more reserved. It was very peaceful.

3. I live in the city with the worst drivers in the nation, and Portland probably has the BEST drivers in the nation! Everyone kept their space, drove calmly, paid attention to their surroundings, would let you change lanes immediately after turning on your blinker, etc. The most incredible thing I saw was when we were trying to turn onto a highway in Beaverton that was backed up for miles. We needed to turn left, but traffic was so bad going to the right that we decided to try to turn right and then just make a U-turn down the street. To our surprise, all the cars just stopped (two lanes worth) and made a hole for us to drive through and make our left turn. That would NEVER happen here... ever...

4. There is a very strict difference in people and culture between Portland and the rural areas around it. We stopped at a general store where 53 and 26 intersect out toward the coast, and the whole place was full of lumberjack/redneck types with guns and hunting photos on the wall. Country music was also a lot more popular in rural Oregon than anywhere in Texas. They were all very nice people, though

5. A big surprise to me that NOBODY has ever mentioned about Portland or Oregon was all of the tunnels along the highways and freeways! That was so cool! We don't have tunnels here and it was so much fun to drive through them

6. The food was wonderful. Best burgers I've ever had. All the produce was very fresh as well.

7. I used to think that Austin had the best tap water I'd ever tasted until I had the tap water in Portland. Definitely no reason to ever buy bottled water there.

8. There were a lot of homeless in downtown Portland but they didn't seem to bother anyone and weren't nearly as aggressive as what I'm used to. I found all the ratty street kids a bit annoying (you could tell many of them grew up in the suburbs and were living on the street just to be "cool"), but not enough to be much of a concern.

9. I found that there was quite a bit of diversity in downtown Portland.. it was not as "white" as you hear it is. There are plenty of people from all different ethnicities/races and it felt very multicultural.

10. We did have a hard time finding neighborhoods in Portland that would fit our budget/desires. Everything was either outrageously expensive, or cheap and somewhat scary/run-down. We never did figure out where the safer, middle-class neighborhoods are located. BTW, that stretch of E. Burnside between Gresham and Portland (where the MAX line runs down the center of the street) was pretty wretched. Maybe it isn't really as bad as it looks, but it didn't look so great, lol.

Overall, it was a wonderful experience and we fell madly in love with Portland and the Oregon countryside. We definitely want to live there... the problem is just finding jobs and somewhere to live.

We took many pictures with our cheapo digital camera, and while they don't even come close to doing the place justice, they give you an idea of just how amazing it really is. Follow the link below to see the first picture and click "Next" on the upper-right to scroll through the rest. I also tried to add captions to everything to provide a bit of narrative. If you want to see a larger, higher-resolution version of any of the photos, just click on them and they'll expand to full size. Click the picture again to go back. Enjoy!

Image of Downtown Portland - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 02:13 PM

21 posts, read 130,692 times
I'm glad you had such a great time! Sounds like you will really like PDX.

Old 09-24-2008, 03:08 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,483,568 times
jread - I can't thank you enough for all those great photos. It was a lot of fun to 'take the trip' along with you folks! Sometimes, living here, I think we can get complacent about what we have. It's so refreshing to see the natural beauty of Oregon from someone else's perspective who is new to the area. What an excellent job you did of sharing your experience.

Hopefully, you'll be able to make it back here fairly soon - for good. Oh, and there are many, many places towards the coast similar to what you found at Hwy 43 x Hwy 26 junction. They're almost like another place in time!

If you can, try checking out the Linnton neighborhood, and the St. John's Bridge area. It's on old Highway 30, running along the Columbia River. Now, that's an area that reminds me of "The Goonies."

So glad you had a wonderful time...

PS: Forgot to add how your "trip to Washington" gave me a good laugh! Well done..

Last edited by Wicked Felina; 09-24-2008 at 03:20 PM.. Reason: additional

Old 09-24-2008, 04:35 PM

Thanks for the responses. I also want to thank janb for all her advice on areas we should visit. Our trip wouldn't have been nearly as awesome if it weren't for her great suggestions.

Those of you who are fortunate enough to live in Oregon should NEVER become complacent with the majestic landscape around you. I envy you so much! Never in my life have I visited a place so beautiful. My wife and I would give anything to move there tomorrow (I wish). Hopefully we will find a way (getting a job will be the hardest part). Oregon is the home we've always wanted... it's where our hearts have always been and we just didn't know it.

Old 09-24-2008, 05:21 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,162,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
10. We did have a hard time finding neighborhoods in Portland that would fit our budget/desires. Everything was either outrageously expensive, or cheap and somewhat scary/run-down. We never did figure out where the safer, middle-class neighborhoods are located. BTW, that stretch of E. Burnside between Gresham and Portland (where the MAX line runs down the center of the street) was pretty wretched. Maybe it isn't really as bad as it looks, but it didn't look so great, lol.
No, you're right. E. Burnside out towards Gresham is pretty wretched. It wouldn't be my choice of where to live. It's the land of cheap apartments, and that brings more crime, etc., with it. I grew up in North Clackamas County, so the SE is more familiar to me. I think out towards Milwaukie is pretty affordable, and an easier commute into town. I tend not to like the Beaverton/Hillsboro area, but it's also more affordable, though I'd hate the commute. I've not lived there, but I like the vibe of St. Johns and Kenton, both up in North Portland.

But I really just wanted to say that I loved your phoots. I looked at every one ... it's great to see things from a visitors' point-of-view. And while I missed whatever rain we had while you were here, I feel safe in saying that when it rains, it will be heavier ... or at least, more constant, in the winter.

But then. It can't get green without it. I was surprised, in your pictures, at how little water is running in the waterfalls and rivers. And next to no snow on the mountain. You can tell it's the end of summer. They're be much more "roaring" in the spring.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:22 AM

2,091 posts, read 9,056,659 times
How wonderful that you enjoyed your trip so much! Im glad it was a good experience. What was your very favorite part?
I love your pictures! What a great variety you took. Thanks so much for sharing.
Believe me, ive lived here all my life, and most of our scenery still takes my breath away. Its a glorious feeling, living here in Oregon. I could never be bored with what my eyes have to feast upon living here.
HOpe you make it here soon!! Sounds like you belong...
Tiffany

Old 09-26-2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffela74 View Post
What was your very favorite part?
I honestly thought it was going to be the coast, and it was at the time, but I was surprised to find that our trip through the Columbia River Gorge was even more exciting (to both of us). If I had to pick one favorite moment from the entire trip, it would have to be when I walked down the trail to Latourell Falls and saw the entire waterfall for the first time. It was so green, mossy and misty around it and the waterfall was so beautiful! I grew up loving fantasy movies and playing fantasy video games, and Latourell took me back to that time in my life. It was like I was really in one of these magical places in person. I think that was the moment when it went from a "vacation to a cool place" to "holy crap I HAVE to move here!"

Old 10-06-2008, 07:49 AM

86 posts, read 318,814 times
You honestly sound like my wife and I who were out in PDX about a month ago. I swear that i could have ( and did ) write something the same as you so it's not a coincidence that I found everyone so nice and friendly and the natural beauty awe inspiring especially the columbia river gorge. We enver did make it to the beach THIS trip but we will. I had thought that california was the most diverse state in terms of geography (arguably so) but can see that oregon certainly gives it a strong run for the money. It's gorgeous and we were inspired and motivated even more to get out there as soon as we can. Hoping the economy turns around in the next year or so so we can begin planning our journey back west!

Old 10-06-2008, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylegs5150 View Post
You honestly sound like my wife and I who were out in PDX about a month ago. I swear that i could have ( and did ) write something the same as you so it's not a coincidence that I found everyone so nice and friendly and the natural beauty awe inspiring especially the columbia river gorge. We enver did make it to the beach THIS trip but we will. I had thought that california was the most diverse state in terms of geography (arguably so) but can see that oregon certainly gives it a strong run for the money. It's gorgeous and we were inspired and motivated even more to get out there as soon as we can. Hoping the economy turns around in the next year or so so we can begin planning our journey back west!
Another coincidence: my wife is from Ocala

Old 10-08-2008, 09:34 PM

295 posts, read 1,180,117 times
Thank you so much for sharing these!

Sometimes it is easy to forget how beautiful this state is until you see it like this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland