Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 09:14 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,358,757 times

Advertisements

That total darkness at 4:30 is one of the things I love. It makes it so easy to go into "cozy" mode after work (or play). I light lots of candles around the living room to add to the atmosphere. Even better if it's pouring rain outside - I love listening to it. If you loved it in November, you'll adore living here! I can't wait for the blustery, brilliant days of autumn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 12:25 PM

70 posts, read 212,272 times
saluita,
couldn't have said it any better.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:14 PM

353 posts, read 934,843 times
mdvaden - a beautiful picture!

Old 07-01-2009, 10:00 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,176,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Please do elaborate on this part please, what do you mean the city gets paralyzed with ice/snow?

YouTube - Portland drivers in the snow

Old 07-02-2009, 12:26 AM

3,341 posts, read 5,561,148 times
What that video doesn't show is the steepness of the streets there. Of course, that's no excuse but it's not like people in PDX CAN'T drive in snow. I've done it for a week and only saw one spinner.

Funny video nonetheless...

Old 07-02-2009, 02:16 AM

3,804 posts, read 9,325,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbug View Post

Dude you have got to be kidding me. Who was driving that first car, Johnny Knoxville??

I thought Texans had the lock on bad driving on snow and ice.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:16 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,368,508 times
Well that certainly is reminicent of home...On days like that unless you have 4wd AND chains...stay inside!

Old 07-02-2009, 07:44 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,358,757 times
Yeah, that's how it is. Great video! It's the kind of video that all the "First Alert Storm Teams" on TV play over and over again to scare the bejabbers out of everyone. Of course it's not like that all over the city, but it can be pretty dicey. Before I retired, my employer would still insist that we report to work, as did so many other employers. If all but absolutely necessary workers could stay home, the problems would be greatly minimized. Add to the mix schools closing and parents having to arrange child care so they could get to their jobs - well it's usually chaos for a couple days. Then after it's over, everyone talks about what happened to them during the storm.
I guess the lesson for folks planning to move here is that all the disruption and breathless newscasts about the weather is because it happens so rarely. Same with heat waves in the summer.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:09 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,210,300 times
Part of the snow problem is they don't use salt and aren't equipped to deal with snow.

I grew up in Michigan, where it snows all the time...but the salt trucks are out on the roads constantly during that time. The salt continually absorbs the snow from turning to ice.

In Portland, they throw a gravel out there. They don't want the salt to rust their cars or have the possibility of it.

Anyways, when I lived in Portland, I was amazed that when the news forecasted snow, it was NORMAL for people to leave work immediately to get home...or not go to work. The city just isn't equipped for it. I even remember a Portland person asking me if Michigan gets shut down for 5 months because of all the snow. NO...snow is normal there, and the government knows how to handle it quickly and efficiently!

Great video though..reminds me of the first snow storm I saw in Portland...I saw the highway from Beaverton to PDX just completely littered with abandoned cars everywhere...and people just walking off the freeway leaving their cars there...complete madness. Never saw anything like it before.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:13 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,176,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle View Post
What that video doesn't show is the steepness of the streets there. Of course, that's no excuse but it's not like people in PDX CAN'T drive in snow. I've done it for a week and only saw one spinner.

Funny video nonetheless...
I imagine there was a lot of ice under that snow - even without being used to driving in snow, I can't imagine that many cars sliding around that badly under normal snowy street conditions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland