Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 03:02 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,932,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
They should be able to get a no-complications delivery and prenatal care for less than $13,000, though; I'd shop around and ask about other options. I don't remember what ours was supposed to cost if it was without complications, but it wasn't anywhere near that much. Perhaps check out options like midwives, too; things like epidurals are going to cost more, so a less "medicalized" birth is probably going to be a more affordable route.
I hope so. I am trying to help them investigate midwife care which is cheaper. I remember that the bill for delivery when I had my last baby was about $8000, and that was just for the delivery, not prenatal care. But I have good insurance and only had to pay $100.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 03:05 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,616,129 times
Just call social services. They're the only people how can tell you 100% either way. I can tell you I will be shocked with all of the push for prenatal care if the state leaves her and her baby uninsured if the parents policy doesn't cover the cost.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:07 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,932,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I am talking about those with the ability to pay. They can take a loan. People take loans to pay for cars, tvs, furniture, vacations, etc....They can take a loan to pay for medical care.
If they have to, they will take a loan against the equity in the house. But they would rather find health insurance.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:28 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,521,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
If they have to, they will take a loan against the equity in the house. But they would rather find health insurance.
Can they sign on as partial guardians of the baby after birth thus being allowed to possibly get the baby on their insurance? Wellbaby visits are not cheap

Old 11-16-2010, 04:30 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,132,681 times
Quote:
I know there are state programs if she was on her own, but since she is staying at home they don't think she will be eligible. Does anyone know about this?

She has no income (and I assume the father does not either) and would qualify for not only medical coverage but formula, milk, and diapers etc once the baby is here. They will want the name of the father on the paperwork to verify his income. I am sure you can out unknown to get out of it, but that is pretty rude to do to your kid.

I would think that her not having an income makes a difference. Now maybe they can have her say they threw her out of the house, she would qualify regardless of what her parents make because she is not residing with them. Seems extreme, but my last child cost 38K for just the labor, delivery, and 2 days in the nicu.

You just never know how much this could end up costing. Might be worth it to set her up with an apt. or something.

Here is a link

North Carolina WIC - Eligibility

Old 11-16-2010, 05:12 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,913,054 times
Quote:
We have a teen pregnancy situation in my family now. The teen wants to keep the baby. The parents are willing to support her and let her and the baby continue to live at home while she finishes school. Unfortunately, their health insurance does not cover maternity care for dependents, so her prenatal care and delivery will not be covered. Also, the baby won't be covered once born. Is there some other option for insurance for teen moms? I know there are state programs if she was on her own, but since she is staying at home they don't think she will be eligible. Does anyone know about this?
CD may not be the best place to get the correct information. Medicaid is different in every state. Some communities have programs for pregnant moms. I agree with all those who advise:

The pregnant teen should talk to her guidance counselor.

The family should talk to the medicaid office.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:24 PM

556 posts, read 798,957 times
She can become emancipated which would void her parents responsibility to her financially then their income would not be a factor.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:01 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,155,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
One quick point. It is illegal to exclude pregnancy in a pre-existing clause.
If it's against the law to exclude pregnancy as a pre-existing condition clause, why is it not against the law to exclude pregnancies of dependents? Doesn't make sense.

Regardless, one problem I've discovered in my own search for my daughter's friend is minors aren't allowed to have/buy their own private health insurance policies in my state. They can buy into the Chip program---anyone can buy into the Chip program in my state. If you're not low income, you pay full premium for Chip. But private insurance companies will not sell policies to minors. The parents would need to buy a family policy with her on it, making sure it covers pregnancies of dependents.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:02 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,907,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
She has no income (and I assume the father does not either) and would qualify for not only medical coverage but formula, milk, and diapers etc once the baby is here.
I have never heard of an agency that provides diapers, state or federal. Unless you are talking about cash assistance such as TANF (AFDC) or GA, with which she could buy diapers.

I agree with the others that say that you should call your local offices of DHHS and ask what is available.
Many hospitals also have charity care for patients who do not qualify for Medicaid but do not have the means or income to pay, with the bills being on a sliding scale.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:04 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,155,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
CD may not be the best place to get the correct information. Medicaid is different in every state. Some communities have programs for pregnant moms. I agree with all those who advise:

The pregnant teen should talk to her guidance counselor.

The family should talk to the medicaid office.
We already figured out that the OP's state calculates the family finances to determine eligability for Medicaid for pregnant daugthers. There are links somewhere. And the OP already came here knowing that was the case. She's seeking other options than Medicaid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy