Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 07:14 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,603,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
We already figured out that the OP's state calculates the family finances to determine eligability for Medicaid for pregnant daugthers. There are links somewhere. And the OP already came here knowing that was the case. She's seeking other options than Medicaid.
Actually she said they think she won't be eligable. The need to call and check first. Really all they can do is say no, but if they do I'm sure they can point the family in the direction of where they can get help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 07:31 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,373,081 times
There are differnt Medicaid programs, one is specifically for pregnant women, this one is very low cost, even if you have to pay for it. You apply for this one at the health department. Of course, the teen could always get a job...with insurance, and work while pregnant. What about the Daddy? Does he have health insurance? If so, the birth maybe covered, just not the prenatal care.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:39 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,129,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
I have never heard of an agency that provides diapers, state or federal. Unless you are talking about cash assistance such as TANF (AFDC) or GA, with which she could buy diapers.

I agree with the others that say that you should call your local offices of DHHS and ask what is available.
Many hospitals also have charity care for patients who do not qualify for Medicaid but do not have the means or income to pay, with the bills being on a sliding scale.

I am talking about cash assistance which she would qualify for, AFDC/TANF/CALWORKS or whatever it is called in NC.

Once the baby is here it will get medical coverage through the state SCHIP programs I would think, also the mom can get cash for diapers and other things food stamps won't cover.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:22 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,916,614 times
In my state (Florida) there is a health insurance program that is run by the state that is open to all kids under 19. I don't know if it covers prenatal care but I know that there is health insurance available in FL for all children under 19 regardless of income (those with money pay premiums but it's available to all).

OP-does your state have a program like this?

Old 11-17-2010, 07:35 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,864,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
She has no income (and I assume the father does not either) and would qualify for not only medical coverage but formula, milk, and diapers etc once the baby is here. They will want the name of the father on the paperwork to verify his income. I am sure you can out unknown to get out of it, but that is pretty rude to do to your kid.

I would think that her not having an income makes a difference. Now maybe they can have her say they threw her out of the house, she would qualify regardless of what her parents make because she is not residing with them. Seems extreme, but my last child cost 38K for just the labor, delivery, and 2 days in the nicu.

You just never know how much this could end up costing. Might be worth it to set her up with an apt. or something.

Here is a link

North Carolina WIC - Eligibility

It does.....even that link you gives shows you that. If her families income is above the threshold she won't be eligible for any programs.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:45 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
She has no income (and I assume the father does not either) and would qualify for not only medical coverage but formula, milk, and diapers etc once the baby is here. They will want the name of the father on the paperwork to verify his income. I am sure you can out unknown to get out of it, but that is pretty rude to do to your kid.

I would think that her not having an income makes a difference. Now maybe they can have her say they threw her out of the house, she would qualify regardless of what her parents make because she is not residing with them. Seems extreme, but my last child cost 38K for just the labor, delivery, and 2 days in the nicu.

You just never know how much this could end up costing. Might be worth it to set her up with an apt. or something.

Here is a link

North Carolina WIC - Eligibility
Her lack of income is irrelevant. Household income is what's calculated.

That means the income of her mother and father are used. It's in the very link you posted. Here's the quote:

Quote:
** A household (or economic unit) is defined as a person or group of persons, related or nonrelated, who usually (although not necessarily) live together, and whose production of income and consumption of goods or services are related. The income of everyone in the economic unit is counted to determine eligibility.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:21 AM

175 posts, read 750,453 times
^^^that should be thrown out, I mean what if she was sharing an apartment with a roomate, now the roommates finances are used to see if she qualifies. That rule is stupid!

Old 11-17-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Her lack of income is irrelevant. Household income is what's calculated.

That means the income of her mother and father are used. It's in the very link you posted. Here's the quote:

You are not reading what I wrote
"Now maybe they can have her say they threw her out of the house, she would qualify regardless of what her parents make because she is not residing with them".

Old 11-17-2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
It does.....even that link you gives shows you that. If her families income is above the threshold she won't be eligible for any programs.

Yes, and I wrote, " Now maybe they can have her say they threw her out of the house, she would qualify regardless of what her parents make because she is not residing with them"

Did she write what amount her parents make after taxes, they are talking about your take home amount, what are their deductions?

Besides, If she gets an apartment while pregnant like I already posted, it would change the household income.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:33 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times
I think she should be encouraged to make an adoption plan for her child.

Even if she decides to make an adoption plan, the agency will immediately have her sign up with Medicaid, if she is eligible. If the parents don't want to pay these expenses, they should do everything they can do to ensure she is eligible. Whatever it takes.

I for one do not like my tax money being used to pay the expenses of unwanted or unplanned pregnancies , especially if the parents or other family are in a position to shoulder these costs but just don't want to.

I recently helped a 25 year old family friend make adoption plan and the agency we chose immediately had her register for medicaid. Now of course the agency also figured in the medical costs be charged to the adoptive family even tho the state (thru Medicaid) paid for it. That was not in N.C.

Whatever she does I hope she does not agree to adoption just so she can have her medical costs paid for and then reneg after the baby is born. That happens more often than you would believe and sometimes more than once to the same family. It is heartbreaking for everybody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy