Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 08:34 PM

852 posts, read 1,367,611 times

Advertisements

I've never heard the overweight explanation before, and anecdotally, not a single one of the women I know who had a C section could be described as overweight. About half of the women I know have had C sections, all of them at the doctor's insistence.

The US C section rate is high, and there are plenty of theories behind it, the most prevailing one is it is part of the increased medicalization of childbirth. In my own experience, I agree. With my second child, my OB wanted to schedule an induction a week before my due date, and she made it clear to me that she was quite unhappy with me when I refused. Then, I had to tell the nurse at the hospital three times that I did not want an epidural. After my daughter was born, I looked up at the IV stand and noticed a bag of pitocin that I had not agreed to. Both of my girls were born naturally and within two hours of me arriving at the hospital. No distress. No gestational diabetes. No pre-eclampsia. No reason whatsoever to push interventions, and yet the interventions were pushed on me repeatedly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 08:41 PM

502 posts, read 1,253,682 times
Default C-Section Rates: Obesity to Blame?

C-Section Rates: Obesity to Blame?

Old 02-12-2011, 08:55 PM

852 posts, read 1,367,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCInMyMind View Post
Yes, but this article is five years old, and it discusses women who are obese rather than overweight (there is a difference).

Regardless, it's interesting.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:17 PM

502 posts, read 1,253,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucygirl951 View Post
Yes, but this article is five years old, and it discusses women who are obese rather than overweight (there is a difference).

Regardless, it's interesting.
True, the article is a tad old. However, obesity rates are steadily rising. There are many (recent) articles that take this position.

One reason that I had not thought of was the increasing age of mothers as well as the rise in multiples.

Definitely an interesting topic, as a c-section is a pretty invasive surgery.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:21 PM

37,162 posts, read 42,326,823 times
Not a single person I know who had a C-section would describe it as "easier" than a vaganial delivery. In fact, two had long drawn out recovery periods while I was out grocery shopping with my 3 day old baby in a sling. I can't imagine wanting a C-section. My delivery nurse said I was thisclose to needing one, and had already called to have an instrument tray brought in (they lady before me used the one that was in there before me) but thankfully we managed to get him out.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:30 AM

1,100 posts, read 3,016,606 times
I don't know why anybody would want a c-section for convenience. It is major abdominal surgery. I had one with my son 12 years ago due to very high blood pressure. I was 38 weeks along, and my son wasn't dropping yet. So for my safety (and ultimately his) I had one. Plus my doc said that my pelvis was extremely narrow. So either way, I probably would have ended up having one anyway.

I am not sure how other women recover from a c-section. But for me, it took me a good year to finally feel like myself again. I had tremendous pain, and numbness. I couldn't even breastfeed my son because no matter what position he was in, I was in too much pain. If I had a choice, I would have much rather had a vaginal delivery.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:34 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,542,743 times
Another thread were we are suppose to judge others very personal choices when it comes to parenting.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:01 AM

88,831 posts, read 85,240,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Not a single person I know who had a C-section would describe it as "easier" than a vaganial delivery. In fact, two had long drawn out recovery periods while I was out grocery shopping with my 3 day old baby in a sling. I can't imagine wanting a C-section. My delivery nurse said I was thisclose to needing one, and had already called to have an instrument tray brought in (they lady before me used the one that was in there before me) but thankfully we managed to get him out.
My daughter is alive only because I had a C-Section.

Never had a vaginal delivery, but I can't imagine that a C-section is easier, just by virtue of the fact that it is actual surgery. Laughing, taking deep breaths, or coughing without pain is out of the question for the first few days. You have no idea how much you use those abdominal muscles until they are cut! I can remember lying there after the surgery, floating on my morphine high, and realizing that I could feel the start of the pain deep down inside and thinking, "Damn, if I'm on morphine and I can FEEL this, it's really gonna hurt when the morphine wears off." And it did.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:05 AM

88,831 posts, read 85,240,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2justynsarah View Post
I don't know why anybody would want a c-section for convenience. It is major abdominal surgery. I had one with my son 12 years ago due to very high blood pressure. I was 38 weeks along, and my son wasn't dropping yet. So for my safety (and ultimately his) I had one. Plus my doc said that my pelvis was extremely narrow. So either way, I probably would have ended up having one anyway.

I am not sure how other women recover from a c-section. But for me, it took me a good year to finally feel like myself again. I had tremendous pain, and numbness. I couldn't even breastfeed my son because no matter what position he was in, I was in too much pain. If I had a choice, I would have much rather had a vaginal delivery.
That sounds about right--it took a good year to heal completely. Even now, almost 20 years later, there are numb spots along the cut line/scar. You are never really the same after. I didn't have any problems breastfeeding, though.

A month after my daughter was born I went to a friend's wedding. Got up to dance, lasted about half a minute and went and sat back down.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:20 AM

90,296 posts, read 121,020,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucygirl951 View Post
I've never heard the overweight explanation before, and anecdotally, not a single one of the women I know who had a C section could be described as overweight. About half of the women I know have had C sections, all of them at the doctor's insistence.

The US C section rate is high, and there are plenty of theories behind it, the most prevailing one is it is part of the increased medicalization of childbirth. In my own experience, I agree. With my second child, my OB wanted to schedule an induction a week before my due date, and she made it clear to me that she was quite unhappy with me when I refused. Then, I had to tell the nurse at the hospital three times that I did not want an epidural. After my daughter was born, I looked up at the IV stand and noticed a bag of pitocin that I had not agreed to. Both of my girls were born naturally and within two hours of me arriving at the hospital. No distress. No gestational diabetes. No pre-eclampsia. No reason whatsoever to push interventions, and yet the interventions were pushed on me repeatedly.
Pitocin can be an appopriate intervention; it helps the uterus to contract. It also bugs me for people to blame nurses for stuff that happens in the hospital, where everything is directed by the doctors. The nurse would not be the one to administer the epidural, in any case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Another thread were we are suppose to judge others very personal choices when it comes to parenting.
I don't see C-section as a "choice". I don't think it should be offered as a choice. I haven't worked in OB for a long time, so I'm not up on what exactly is the latest thinking, but I think the need for a C-section should be a medical need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy