Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 04:27 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,585,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
Well, it's like asking why people use local or general anesthesia for dental procedures. Certainly you don't NEED it... ever... it just makes it much more pleasant.

I'm thinking of C-section for myself since I'll probably need a tummy tuck afterward. I haven't made up my mind yet. And who knows, I might not have a choice at the end. My mom had 3 C-sections, all elective. I think it is a personal choice. Some people like doing things naturally and some people like to have everything neat and scheduled.
Are you serious?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 04:49 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,190,788 times
Quote:
Well, it's like asking why people use local or general anesthesia for dental procedures. Certainly you don't NEED it... ever... it just makes it much more pleasant.

I'm thinking of C-section for myself since I'll probably need a tummy tuck afterward. I haven't made up my mind yet. And who knows, I might not have a choice at the end. My mom had 3 C-sections, all elective. I think it is a personal choice. Some people like doing things naturally and some people like to have everything neat and scheduled. The question is safety. I think the safety record for C-section is pretty good.
Have you done any research as to the safety of cesarean sections? It's major surgery.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:00 PM

1,100 posts, read 3,014,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Have you done any research as to the safety of cesarean sections? It's major surgery.
EXACTLY! My sister had an emergency C-Section when she started to push and the nurses felt feet! My nephew turned himself into a breech position. Everything happened so fast after that. They took my nephew out and he wasn't breathing. In the hurry of the c-section, her doc left bleeders in her uterus. So she needed to go under the knife again to fix it.

She was put under general anesthesia, vomited, and breathed it in her lungs. The Pulmonologist stayed with her all night. He thought for sure she was going to die. Thank goodness she recovered and so did my nephew. I am telling this story because a c-section isn't all just "neat and scheduled."

Old 02-14-2011, 08:25 PM

1,149 posts, read 4,209,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2justynsarah View Post
EXACTLY! My sister had an emergency C-Section when she started to push and the nurses felt feet! My nephew turned himself into a breech position. Everything happened so fast after that. They took my nephew out and he wasn't breathing. In the hurry of the c-section, her doc left bleeders in her uterus. So she needed to go under the knife again to fix it.

She was put under general anesthesia, vomited, and breathed it in her lungs. The Pulmonologist stayed with her all night. He thought for sure she was going to die. Thank goodness she recovered and so did my nephew. I am telling this story because a c-section isn't all just "neat and scheduled."
While I agree that c-sections are major surgery and shouldn't just be chosen for silly reasons, there is a huge difference between scheduled and emergency. There are also risks to vaginal delivery - ask my friend who pees herself whenever she laughs, and she is only 32.

A lot of women refuse to research c-sections, adamant that they will give birth naturally, refuse to listen to the doctors when they advise a section, and then end up with an emergency c/s with complications.

I think those who completely eschew their doctors' advice are just as ridiculous as those who elect for a c/s for no good reason whatsoever.

Edit to clarify - in no way was I referring to your sister, btw. I just feel that if many women listened to their OB's advice instead of being stubborn, the risk to the mother and baby would be dropped. They're the ones with the medical degree and expertise, not us.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:34 PM

6,885 posts, read 11,261,837 times
Smile C Sections

I had 2 - my first child was 10 pounds. I was going for vaginal delivery; after 12 hours of that, they made the decision to do the C section.

With my second child, also a 10 pounder, I had an epidural - cadillac of all births!!

But I tried. I'd do again in a second. Loved being pregnant with my kids; loved the whole experience!!

Old 02-15-2011, 06:21 AM

4 posts, read 6,014 times
Default convience

we will eventually have a drive thru for infant delivery, we are a people of ease....to busy doing nothing important to realize what is important, Mother nature will correct the problem in some fashion...

Old 02-15-2011, 06:41 AM

30,598 posts, read 16,281,037 times
I doubt an insurance company would pay for a c-section just for convenience. there are a some women who can't deliver vaginally and those sections are scheduled but for the most part, c-sections are not planned.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:52 AM

30,598 posts, read 16,281,037 times
Quote:

I'm thinking of C-section for myself since I'll probably need a tummy tuck afterward. I haven't made up my mind yet. And who knows, I might not have a choice at the end. My mom had 3 C-sections, all elective. I think it is a personal choice. Some people like doing things naturally and some people like to have everything neat and scheduled. The question is safety. I think the safety record for C-section is pretty good.

no, it's not like a dental procedure.

A c-section is a major surgery involving 2 (at least) lives. Okay, I stand corrected. I guess they are done for convenience more than I thought.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:29 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,546,051 times
I'm glad I was able to have vaginal births with my 2 kids because the recovery from a c-section doesn't sound fun. That being said, if there was any possibility my baby was in danger, I would gladly have a c-section. The safety of my baby is not something I would be willing to mess around with for the sake of an easier recovery for me.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:51 AM

1,100 posts, read 3,014,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbd78 View Post
I'm glad I was able to have vaginal births with my 2 kids because the recovery from a c-section doesn't sound fun. That being said, if there was any possibility my baby was in danger, I would gladly have a c-section. The safety of my baby is not something I would be willing to mess around with for the sake of an easier recovery for me.
A c-section is absolutely warranted if it comes down to the safety of the baby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy