Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 11:11 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,151,359 times

Advertisements

FIRST......go talk to an 8th grader....ask em what THEY think of the name and see how badly they mutilate it.....then you'll know what SHE will have to go thru
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 11:17 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,766,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
Who am I blaming????? The annoyance last all of 10 seconds. As I said. I do not regret the spelling. Sooooooo
You were the one who said you get annoyed when you make appointments having to spell out her name. You were the one who gave her that spelling, so deal with it, that's what you get for giving her a "unique" name.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:25 AM

869 posts, read 1,496,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
You were the one who said you get annoyed when you make appointments having to spell out her name. You were the one who gave her that spelling, so deal with it, that's what you get for giving her a "unique" name.
My name is Elizabeth. Obscenely common and old school and people still ask me how to spell it. My son is Cole Issac and people ask all the time how to spell his name. Having a unique name has no bearing on people asking. They ask to make sure they are correct.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:40 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,681,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post

I was merely pointing out the one small problem ive had. Which really isnt that much of a problem at all.

Last edited by JustJulia; 03-09-2012 at 11:50 AM..

Old 03-09-2012, 12:42 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,490,613 times
My daughter's name is unusual, and it doesn't look like it sounds. She and I have to constantly pronounce and spell it for people. I thought about changing the spelling, but felt that would have changed the original name and meaning. I don't mind correcting people, because I think it is a beautiful name, and it suits her. Her name means "one who succeeds." She is also proud of her name, and is happy to pronounce, spell, and explain the meaning. So taking a few extra moments to spell and say your name does not always have to be a problem.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:00 PM

2,719 posts, read 5,364,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
[sarcasm]
Let's see how outrageous we can be:

Aegmioureey
EmMary
M'RE:
H'aim-reigh

Basically, come up with the spelling you feel your child will have the most trouble learning to spell when she's young, so that all her classmates can make fun of her, and target her as a victim of their bullying.

And then, you can blame the teachers for not protecting your poor misspelled daughter (double bonus - you can blame them for not being able to spell her name right either).
[/sarcasm]

If you love your daughter-to-be, you will make her name something that people won't constantly question or criticize her spelling over.
I love this post.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:53 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,430,810 times
My DS is Lucas as well Some people wanted me to spell it Lukkas... uh no

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyezRule View Post
I agree w/ all of you. Our DS is Lucas, MIL's maiden name. He was named for his great uncle who passed way too early, w/ the last name of Lucas. Many in the family said they wanted to name a boy Lucas, we finally did it. &, kicker, I'm the IL, it was MY idea. lol But, he STILL gets it spelled LUCUS. I swear, some people are 'braindead'. We used the 'normal' spelling, like the surname. Idiots.

Our 2nd, I toyed w/ Emmaleigh, but, we both only agreed on Isabella (yes, common, but, we didn't know that in 2004, w/ 2003 findings to go on) . We call her Bella. We called her that before Twilight (I hate it, BTW) . We've called her Isabella, Isabelle, Belle, Bella, Izzy, Izzy-B. lol Or, 'pet' names, like BooBird, Boo-Da. lol

We have alot of unique names in my DD's class, but, they are 'Utah' names, so, not outlandish. lol I haven't seen 'odd' spellings in my DD or DS's classes.

I know some will be critical (those who use 'different' spellings, why do I look, care, etc. None of the above, I'm always just curious on names. =) . I'm just analytical (sp?) to a fault. lol

Old 03-09-2012, 09:42 PM

840 posts, read 782,663 times
We like Emoreigh the most right now.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:49 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,560,305 times
Here are some choices from the Utah Baby Namer that are similar to Emery:

Ember
Emberlee
Emelyn
Emerette
Emerlie

There are just too many amazing names on that site!!!

One of my favorites is Kaysional Tempest , but LaDonnaJosephrania is pretty good too. Or maybe Phakelikaydenicia .....

Old 03-10-2012, 06:16 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,878,555 times
Frankly, when I see a parents of kids with "unique" names or "unique" spelling of common names, I only think of one thing...........poor kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy