Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 04:59 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,242,695 times

Advertisements

It's pretty clear from all medical literature that less stress during labour makes for a safer delivery, so it's a no brainer. It might suck for the man, but it is about the safest delivery for the baby, which means as little stress as possible for the one birthing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 06:57 AM

14,439 posts, read 14,389,692 times
My mother talked about her two pregnancies many years ago. Both my sister and I were born during the 1950's which was before all this "openness stuff" caught on. One day we talked, my sister seemed very eager to know where my father was during her deliveries.

The answer was out in the waiting room, waiting. That's exactly where Mom wanted him and that's exactly where he wanted to be.

The birth of a child is exactly that, a birth. Some people don't look at it as "theater" to be filmed and observed by the whole world. There are some families that want to bring all kinds of extended relatives to a birth now. Half of them probably have a cell phone or digital camera with them to record this "blessed event". If a mother really wants that and her OB is willing to agree to it, than that's her business. However, I can very easily see why other mothers choose to avoid this kind of a circus.

The truth is that I don't particularly care for a lot of modern cultural phenomena (really big weddings, huge baby showers). I think old ways weren't perfect, but probably served many a whole lot better. Its a very personal choice.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:59 AM

400 posts, read 795,476 times
Good. If the couple isn't together, it's probably for a reason. I've heard from many women how they don't want their abusive ex to be in the delivery room, but he'll probably show up anyway. This article isn't for healthy, happy couples.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:12 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,232,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
My mother talked about her two pregnancies many years ago. Both my sister and I were born during the 1950's which was before all this "openness stuff" caught on. One day we talked, my sister seemed very eager to know where my father was during her deliveries.

The answer was out in the waiting room, waiting. That's exactly where Mom wanted him and that's exactly where he wanted to be.

The birth of a child is exactly that, a birth. Some people don't look at it as "theater" to be filmed and observed by the whole world. There are some families that want to bring all kinds of extended relatives to a birth now. Half of them probably have a cell phone or digital camera with them to record this "blessed event". If a mother really wants that and her OB is willing to agree to it, than that's her business. However, I can very easily see why other mothers choose to avoid this kind of a circus.

The truth is that I don't particularly care for a lot of modern cultural phenomena (really big weddings, huge baby showers). I think old ways weren't perfect, but probably served many a whole lot better. Its a very personal choice.
I don't know how I would have managed the labor and birth of my daughter without my husband by my side. I needed him and that man stepped up to the plate. I did not need the doctor for 95% of it (9am-1:30am). My doctor wasn't even there, but an on call doc. I feel bad for women who have to go it alone, nor do I think fathers as a rule should be dismissed, but this ruling is about what's good for her and the baby first and foremost.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:24 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,225,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

That's where my father was when my siblings and I were born. When I was having my first child, my father would wander into the labor room every hour or so. The nurse tried to swoosh him away, but I didn't mind him wandering into the room. It wasn't like he was hanging out there looking. He was just checking in to see if everything was okay and he'd wander back out. As the day wore on, it became very obvious he was spending his time at in a bar instead of the waiting room. I didn't mind. I was glad he was there. My mother died while I was pregnant, and my first child was born on their wedding anniversary. It had to be a very difficult day for him.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:35 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,496,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Id be like "fine, you dont want me there while he's being born then i guess you dont want me here for the pregnancy. See you in 40 weeks".
That's certainly a mature reaction.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:36 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,788,480 times
In a relationship situtation like this the no vote should always win out.

Dont like it dudes? Keep your Anthony Wiener in your pants and negotiate that before you stick it in.

Yeah I'm a dude. My wife and I talked about all these things before she got preggo with our first child. She wanted me and only me there for the birth of each of our children. Had she not wanted me there I would have been just as happy outside smoking a cigar with Pops.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:35 PM

241 posts, read 172,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Id be like "fine, you dont want me there while he's being born then i guess you dont want me here for the pregnancy. See you in 40 weeks".
EXACTLY!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
That's certainly a mature reaction.
Bout as mature as banning the father from the room.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:42 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,701,009 times
I told my wife about this thread. She said that when she gave birth to her kids each time her husband would want to go get a snack. She said she told him in "no uncertain terms" that he was leaving over her dead body and that he was going into that delivery room with her whether he liked it or not.

Only time i can see the father not being welcome is if it was some sort of abusive relationship. To just say "i dont want you here" doesnt give a very supportive message to the Dad. Why cant we just simply ask the father if he wants to be in the room and if he says no then dont get all upset about it?

Old 04-02-2014, 09:00 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,819,675 times
My spouse was there and he helped emotionally - sure - but when things got real - I wanted medical personnel - trained and equipped. No joke. If he got in the way (especially of my epidural) it would have gotten ugly quick.
Point being - it is great to have a partner - if you want one there - but what is essential is the patient's medical needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy