Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2021, 09:54 PM

282 posts, read 248,003 times

Advertisements

I would advise against bringing a child into this marriage. A woman who does not want to carry a child because of her "figure, or smoking", does NOT want a child. Period. Certainly her prerogative. Nothing wrong with that.
That being said, she is appeasing you by suggesting a surrogate. Sadly, these are the things that should have been discussed prior to marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2021, 10:04 AM

176 posts, read 134,354 times
Carrying a baby, nursing for two years, sleepless nights, etc etc all of these things require sacrifice and a woman to prioritize her children. If she’s worried about sacrificing her figure and her cigs, and you want children, you picked the wrong woman to marry. When marrying a woman or a man you should consider how they would be as a parent. Not only are you choosing a life partner for yourself but you should be choosing a mother or father for your future offspring. You made a bad choice. Let’s see what else she’s unwilling to sacrifice as a healthy marriage requires a lot of sacrifice as well.

Old 06-25-2021, 12:33 PM

10,106 posts, read 1,023,841 times
She sounds too selfish to be a mother

Old 07-20-2021, 04:20 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remar123456 View Post
My wife is very scared about pregnancy. She doesn't want the pain, doesn't, doesn't want to ruin the figure and she will not be able to quit smoking. She has proposed surrogacy. Do you think it is a good idea?
This is why i dont have any biological kids & its the best decision i ever made!

Old 07-20-2021, 08:01 PM

9 posts, read 8,508 times
I think some people here are being really judgmental. Addiction is a disease that is not easily resolvable and fears over pregnancy are not abnormal. Even if she is more worried than average, this doesn't mean something is seriously wrong with her or something. Maybe it does, but I think that's up to OP anyway to decide. Because your partner isn't the picture perfect image of what the squeaky clean American adult should look like means you should dump your wife because she is garbage, apparently. OP, this doesn't mean you shouldn't address these issues, I mean smoking is dangerous and my friend lost her mother all too soon due to smoking addiction, but you don't need to listen to all that internet strangers have to say if you don't find it helpful. That's between you and your wife. If it were me, I'd probably ensure I go to all my doctor's visits, talk about my symptoms to my doc, look into medications if recommended by the doctor if I was experiencing misery, and read books about the many stages of pregnancy so I can better understand what is happening to my body. If money is not an issue for you, and only you know your financial situation, then maybe you can look into surrogacy as an option.

Old 07-21-2021, 12:19 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertariansmovingtoidaho View Post
Carrying a baby, nursing for two years, sleepless nights, etc etc all of these things require sacrifice and a woman to prioritize her children. If she’s worried about sacrificing her figure and her cigs, and you want children, you picked the wrong woman to marry. When marrying a woman or a man you should consider how they would be as a parent. Not only are you choosing a life partner for yourself but you should be choosing a mother or father for your future offspring. You made a bad choice. Let’s see what else she’s unwilling to sacrifice as a healthy marriage requires a lot of sacrifice as well.
I will say - not sure if this was a planned pregnancy or not - but she should have thought about this before she became pregnant if planned. Hate to say it, but if still early enough, she can abort.

Old 07-25-2021, 05:09 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,006,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Tell her to quit smoking even if she doesn’t have a child. I know plenty of moms who had two or three kids and they have great bodies.
Her body is gonna go through changes regardless. Eventually her assets may start pointing south a bit more. Even if she doesn’t have children.

This, however tell her she needs to quit smoking ESPECIALLY if she has kids, either through surrogacy or biologically. It seems cruel to me to subject kids to second hand smoke in a home. Maybe that's just me but I feel really bad for kids whose parents smoke in the home since the kids don't get a choice whether or not to breath it in or not.

Old 07-29-2021, 08:25 PM

319 posts, read 199,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
This is why i dont have any biological kids & its the best decision i ever made!
I've had sciatica, shingles, multiple broken bones requiring surgery. I recently tripped over an ottoman, doing a faceplant that caused me to bite a huge chunk out of my bottom lip. Those were instances where a huge amount of pain occurred, lasting for months (shingles. If I ever have that pain again, I'm going to kill myself).

I also lost my lithe figure after menopause, though I go to the gym and run on a treadmill every day to avoid becoming the size of a shipping hazard.

It's been months since the OP responded, so we don't know the outcome of the situation. I do think that the objections and fears the wife raised were probably a mask over admitting something that is still relatively taboo: they don't want to be a mother. They really don't want to be a mother, despite saying so. That was probably out of fear of losing this guy. It does happen.

40 years ago, I was totally honest to any potential mate: I don't want to be a parent. Life is going to likely involve painful - sometimes horrifically painful - events. That wasn't a reason to reject pregnancy. Once I hit thirty and the scales began to go "ha ha! You ate that jelly donut and just gained two pounds!" I knew I'd eventually not be so skinny.

I remembered being a kid. I remembered my parents being ... parents. Even during the lulls of us not being so high maintenance, my parents didn't scintillate about their lives. I realized, even at the twerp stage of life that "being a parent" was not for me.

I really wish people could distill it to something as straight forward as that and not have to yammer over all these supposed excuses. You don't want to be a parent. That life path isn't for you. It's not about hating kids or vanity or the supposed freedoms of childfree people. It's a life role you can't picture yourself playing.

Old 03-02-2023, 02:57 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,577,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remar123456 View Post
My wife is very scared about pregnancy. She doesn't want the pain, doesn't, doesn't want to ruin the figure and she will not be able to quit smoking. She has proposed surrogacy. Do you think it is a good idea?

O.P…any update? She should quit smoking if you have a baby or not. That’s like saying she wants a surrogate because she can’t quit drinking or she can’t eat healthy. It’s part of being a responsible & healthy adult for yourself, your partner & your babies, if you have any. She’s being selfish so she can stay hidden in addiction & taking it way too far. IMO, she’s not mentally healthy enough to be a good parent.

Old 03-02-2023, 03:31 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
I suggest adoption. She won't ruin her figure and she is doing a good deed to society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy