Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2021, 09:07 PM

1,381 posts, read 1,772,904 times

Advertisements

I've read on forums like GenderDreaming.com that men with poor fertility are more likely to sire daughters than sons, but is there any truth to this?

My sperm count is adequate (though not astronomically high) at 40ish million. My motility is low, which is why they recommended I take vitamins.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2021, 04:52 AM

Location: Whatcom County, WA/Cherokee County, NC/Pike County, KY
447 posts, read 332,504 times
I don't think that's true at all. The logic probably comes from the idea that female sperms are faster. But also, what do you mean by "poor sperm"? That could mean poor dna or low sperm count or low motility.

I think vitamins are good, but work the best with a better diet. All the things that make a person healthy helps sperm health.

Less red meat
More vegetables (salads)
Cut out GMOs (sugar, junk food, soda, corn products, vegetable oil < olive oil, artificial sweeteners)
Loose briefs
Great sleep
Less wireless products
Regular exercise
Plenty of water
No soy products
Less stress
Vitamin C
Cut out toxic soaps - I believe no soap is better than toxic soap

Limit milk, cheese, coffee to 1 big glass/2 slices/mug per day (but don't cut those out)

Obviously don't drink alcohol, smoke, or smoke pot.. kid may come out with birth defects.

Pray to God even if you don't believe in God

Have sex during ovulation when her fluids are there to help

Old 03-29-2021, 08:08 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
No, male sperm are faster. The female sperm are slower, but live longer. That's why it's estimated that if a couple has sex at the exact peak moment, a boy is more likely, but if they have sex a couple of days before ovulation, a girl is more likely. The female sperm tend to be the ones that survive that long.

It still evens out to more or less 50-50 in the big picture. I have no idea how a less-than-exceptional sperm count or motility would factor in. Plus, my feeling is that it doesn't matter whether your child is a boy or a girl. All that matters is that they are your child. If you're not going to be happy with a girl because she is not a boy, please don't have children.

Old 03-29-2021, 04:18 PM

Location: Whatcom County, WA/Cherokee County, NC/Pike County, KY
447 posts, read 332,504 times
Yeah, the male is faster but dies quicker. Its still close to 50/50 chance. I don't think sex is something we control without paying a lab, etc.

Old 03-31-2021, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
If you're not going to be happy with a girl because she is not a boy, please don't have children.
I'm glad you said this, because it's the exact opposite!

I'm yearning for a baby girl, although I'll love the kid no matter what it ends up being.

It's funny how both men and women automatically assume that a guy wishes for a boy. I have male friends and co-workers -- none of whom have had sons themselves -- who insist they just know I'll be having a son, and are convinced that's what I want. How would they know? When did they become psychics?

Well, even though I would love a son like I would a daughter, it isn't my preference. I don't think there's anything wrong with preferring one over the other, especially since given my wife's age (35) we'll probably be one and done.

There are myriad reasons I'd prefer a daughter. I grew up around wonderful women (mom, grandma, 2 sisters) who were very good to me, so I see being a great dad to a little girl as paying it forward in a way. My relationship with my dad, however, has been volatile. He's the main reason my parents divorced when I was 3 and why I had a crappy childhood in many ways.

I just wish people stopped assuming that men don't want daughters. I'd be over the moon if I had one.

Old 03-31-2021, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
If you're not going to be happy with a girl because she is not a boy, please don't have children.
I'm glad you said this, because it's the exact opposite!

I'm yearning for a baby girl, although I'll love the kid no matter what it ends up being. And before gender comes health -- that's what's most important to us.

It's funny how both men and women automatically assume that a guy wishes for a boy. I have male friends and co-workers -- none of whom have had sons themselves -- who insist they just know I'll have a son, and are convinced that's what I truly want. Uh, how would they know? When did they become psychics?

I get the feeling those guys simply want to experience being a father to a son vicariously through me.

Well, even though I would love a son like I would a daughter, it isn't my preference. I don't think there's anything wrong with preferring one over the other, especially since given my wife's age (35) we'll probably be one and done.

There are a few reasons I'd prefer a daughter. I grew up around wonderful women (mom, grandma, 2 sisters) who were very good to me, so I see being a great dad to a little girl as paying it forward in a way. My relationship with my dad, however, has been volatile. He's the main reason my parents divorced when I was 3 and why I had a crappy childhood in many ways.

I just wish people stopped assuming that men don't want daughters. I'd be over the moon if I had one. I suppose this social expectation is a chief reason I'm praying my kid is in fact a healthy girl.

Old 03-04-2023, 03:49 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,570,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
There are a few reasons I'd prefer a daughter. I grew up around wonderful women (mom, grandma, 2 sisters) who were very good to me, so I see being a great dad to a little girl as paying it forward in a way. My relationship with my dad, however, has been volatile. He's the main reason my parents divorced when I was 3 and why I had a crappy childhood in many ways.

I’m sorry you had a poor childhood because of your dad, but I so hope you’re healed enough from that if you are planning to have a baby or did have a baby. A healthy parent can be a good parent to a boy or a girl. I hope you aren’t holding all boys responsible for your dad’s behavior. It kinda sounds like you are in a way…because you are saying it’s a reason you prefer a girl.

Any update O.P.?

Quote:
My motility is low, which is why they recommended I take vitamins.
Did they tell you the percentage of motile & progressive sperm cells? How “low”?

Last edited by TashaPosh; 03-04-2023 at 04:20 PM..

Old 03-21-2023, 05:19 AM

83 posts, read 67,780 times
There's a lot of speculation there when it comes to gender selection and fertility. While there may be some anecdotal evidence to suggest that men with poor fertility are more likely to have daughters, it's important to remember that the sex of a baby is ultimately determined by a complex interplay between genetics and chance. While there are some techniques like sperm sorting and IVF that can help increase the chances of having a child of a certain gender, there's no sure way to guarantee the sex of your child.In addition to what jerzdevil mentioned, it's worth noting that the latest research suggests that a healthy man should engage in 30 minutes of physical activity daily, three times per week.

Old 03-21-2023, 12:04 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,570,402 times
Quote:
Do poor sperm suggest a couple is more likely to have a girl?

The production of sperm decreases with age. When a man is over 50 or 55, his daily sperm production can decrease like 30% & the number of sperm carrying the Y chromosome will decrease too. So…that will decrease their chances of having a boy. My husband is only in his 40s so I can’t count on that BUT, I’d still like to have a girl.

Old 12-16-2023, 12:05 PM

83 posts, read 67,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
The production of sperm decreases with age. When a man is over 50 or 55, his daily sperm production can decrease like 30% & the number of sperm carrying the Y chromosome will decrease too. So…that will decrease their chances of having a boy. My husband is only in his 40s so I can’t count on that BUT, I’d still like to have a girl.

I'm not an expert, but it's worth noting that sperm quality tends to decline with age, potentially leading to challenges in pregnancy or implantation. Ian Stones recommends that men stay proactive and well-informed about these matters. If issues with conception arise due to male factors, doctors may suggest options like IVF with PGD or the consideration of donor sperm. While uncertainties remain about whether sperm quality influences the sex of a baby, staying informed and seeking professional advice can be crucial in navigating fertility concerns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy