Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 11:56 AM

134 posts, read 634,034 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are expecting a child in August and we are struggling to pick unique baby names for our child. We do not want common names except for Grace, Renee, and Hayden. We have a list of first and middle names for both genders and we would love to hear your opinions/thoughts even negative ones. If you happen to have any suggestions of better names to go with other names listed, please feel free to share.

For a boy...

Rene Laurent
Amsterdam Lloyd
Hayden Lloyd

For a girl....

Haylei Grace
Haylei Genevieve
Emmalin Grace
Uma Renee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 12:03 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Buddy you don't want my opinion. Does that help you out? Amsterdam? Really? Please read the thread posted about parents regretting their baby name choices.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:05 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,010,718 times
Rene Laurent (are you of french decent?)
Amsterdam Lloyd: Amsterdam? seriously? you know kids are just going to call him "Damn Lloyd" not a great choice
Hayden Lloyd: Hayden is a terribly overrused name for both genders

Haylei is on the same overrused list as hayden goofing with the spelling won't change that.
Grace is a classic name
Emmalin sounds very Texas-y...if thats what you're going for...
Uma Renee? It's very Kill Bill huh?

It sounds like you are trying to honor family members with some of the names, but also some names sound like you are trying too hard.

As someone who has a totally original name, (which of course I won't share here) I can tell you that you must must must keep in mind that your child will have to constantly explain their overly original name, it's annoying and then they may eventually blow off the original name for the middle name. also keep in mind that kids make nicknames out of ANYTHING...if you can find a name that is suitable that is difficult to "pick on" then you have succeeded.

Good luck, you have a lot of work ahead of you.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:17 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Buddy you don't want my opinion. Does that help you out? Amsterdam? Really? Please read the thread posted about parents regretting their baby name choices.

oh your killin me !!!!!!!!!!! hahahahahhaha

seriously, you also have to think about what other children at school will call them as well.

somehow I do not think the name Amsterdam will go over to well at school.

kids can be mean and cruel.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:28 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,932,095 times
How do you say "Haylei"?

hay-lay
hay-lie
hay-lee
?

I like Rene for a boy's name, but understand your son will be ruthlessly teased his entire childhood. Might as well name him 'Sue'.

I would avoid "unique" spellings. That just invites behind-the-back snickering.

Honestly, I like the middle names far better than the first names.

(This from the guy who was going to name his son 'Lysander').

Old 05-14-2010, 12:32 PM

I kinda expect more negative comments above. That's why I'm struggling with my wife with names because she wants unique names only.

Anyway, my parents are French-Americans so I came up with Rene Laurent. My wife likes it so it's our top choice for a boy.

I married a Dutch lady from Amsterdam so go figure! She likes Amsterdam and she thinks it's better than names after a city such as Houston, Orlando, and Dallas, etc. I warned kids will tease based on the ultra liberal environment in Amsterdam. LOL!

One more thing I would like to add is that my wife is very fond of Uma Thurman as Poison Ivy and as an actress in Kill Bill movies.

Hopefully, we will have a boy and his name is more likely to be Rene Laurent.

Any suggestions for first name to go with Renee as a girl's middle name?

I thought about Renee Michelle and Renee Leigh.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
How do you say "Haylei"?

hay-lay
hay-lie
hay-lee
?

I like Rene for a boy's name, but understand your son will be ruthlessly teased his entire childhood. Might as well name him 'Sue'.

I would avoid "unique" spellings. That just invites behind-the-back snickering.

Honestly, I like the middle names far better than the first names.

(This from the guy who was going to name his son 'Lysander').
It's pronounced hay-lee, by the way. I thank you for your honest post.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:36 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,063,398 times
Oh dear....sometimes there's something nice about ordinary and common.

I'll just tell you my name story. My mom had an uncommon name picked out for me. My dad didn't like it and while she was knocked out he filled out my birth certificate. Unfortunately, in his haste, he left one letter out of my otherwise common name, leaving me with an uncommon spelling. I'm assuming they had a 'discussion' when she woke up and found what he had done.

When I was old enough to ask why my name was 'misspelled' and hear the story of how I got my name I was ever so grateful to my dad. I am glad I have a common name even if it doesn't have a common spelling.

Your child will be unique and an individual even if you give them a name people can pronounce and spell.

As to the names you have listed here....most are simple variations of otherwise common names- Laurent=Lawrence, Haylei = Hayley, Emmalin= Emma Lynn or even Emily.
Llyod and Genevieve aren't unique and I'd hope my dad were around to fill out the birth certificate if I was a boy and my mom wanted to name me Rene Laurent or Amsterdam. I'm not into naming kids after famous people so that would rule out Uma for me.

More importantly, Good luck and Congratulations!!

Old 05-14-2010, 12:41 PM

41 posts, read 121,979 times
I'd go with Hayden Lloyd or Hayden Laurent for a boy; and Emmalin Grace for a girl. I love "Emmalin", although I would probably spell it "Emmalyn". I'd never heard it until I started watching "Army Wives."

Old 05-14-2010, 12:52 PM

I would like to add something else.

What about Laurent Lloyd? Does it sound boring? To me, it sounds awful because you know English and French dislike each other. It doesn't go together.

Although I like Rene Laurent, I am somewhat concerned that he might be teased because French names aren't widely known in America plus Rene Laurent could be twisted by children in school and they might end up calling him the girl name "Lauree".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy