Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2010, 07:47 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,935,813 times

Advertisements

As football stadiums go it was one of the least expensive built - $7.1 million. In today's dollars that's still somewhere around $40 mil. And just about everyone got to enjoy those aluminum benches as there were only about a dozen rows near midfield with actual chairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 12:53 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,009,771 times
Best game ever IMO...is the 1994-95 NFC Championship Dallas vs the 49ers

It was proably the combination of the best NFL team in history ...the 1995 49ers...against the best Dynasty of te 90's...the Cowboys

Old 08-29-2010, 03:39 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,877,648 times
Falcons vs. Vikings (1998)
Vikings vs. New Orleans (2009)
Oilers vs. Bufffalo (1992)

Old 08-29-2010, 07:00 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,127,170 times
I agree with ^^^west336 on Oilers vs Bills

Old 08-30-2010, 09:19 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
As football stadiums go it was one of the least expensive built - $7.1 million. In today's dollars that's still somewhere around $40 mil. And just about everyone got to enjoy those aluminum benches as there were only about a dozen rows near midfield with actual chairs.
The NFL "Lost Classics" series made by NFL films several years ago made a great one hour bio on that stadium, coupled with Denver's Mile High Stadium. Both stadiums were knocked down maybe a year apart from each other.

I've always referred to the Denver Broncos as the worst club of the AFL in its existence (it was). One thing it did have though was a field that they could always call home, Bears (later called Mile High) Stadium. It was the one thing that Denver had that Boston didn't have.

The Patriots played in several different stadiums in their first several years in the league, among them Harvard Stadium and Fenway Park. In fact, in one of the strangest situations I ever heard of, the Boston Patriots played the New York Jets in week one of the 1968 AFL season and the game was played at Legion Field in Birmingham, Alabama. The Patriots were the designated home team. The one thing the Patriots did have was a sellout at the gate as that was where Joe Namath played his college ball at was at Alabama.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:16 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,749,864 times
My most memorable NFL game was the 2003 Super Bowl; Tampa Bay Buccaneers vs the Oakland Raiders. I was never a true fan of football until I watched the Bucs win their first championship. Every since then, I was hooked.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:52 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
My most memorable NFL game was the 2003 Super Bowl; Tampa Bay Buccaneers vs the Oakland Raiders. I was never a true fan of football until I watched the Bucs win their first championship. Every since then, I was hooked.
I thought the NFC Championship game two weeks earlier, when Ronde Barber ran back McNabb's INT for a TD and Jurevicius's 71 yard catch and run down the sideline, in the old Vet's stadium, was much more memorable, only because I was living in South Jersey at the time, and the smugness of the Eagle's fans leading up to that game suggested the Super Bowl bid was already ordained before the game had started. Duce Staley scored on the first play of the game, and I thought there was no way the Bucs could come back from those circumstances, but they did. History was completely against the Bucs as they had not scored a TD in two previous playoff appearances against the Eagles. But the Bucs were able to counter with a long field goal, then the aforementioned Jurevicius play. Another play in that game that has gone forgotten was when McNabb was leading the Eagles back from 17-10 before the half, and I thought for sure they were going to tie it, but Simeon Rice was able cause McNabb to fumble.

I have never, ever, seen a city so cumulatively deflated after a football game as I did after the Eagles lost that game. Going into work the following morning was like witnessing a pallbearing competition.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:04 AM

2,413 posts, read 5,749,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I thought the NFC Championship game two weeks earlier, when Ronde Barber ran back McNabb's INT for a TD and Jurevicius's 71 yard catch and run down the sideline, in the old Vet's stadium, was much more memorable, only because I was living in South Jersey at the time, and the smugness of the Eagle's fans leading up to that game suggested the Super Bowl bid was already ordained before the game had started. Duce Staley scored on the first play of the game, and I thought there was no way the Bucs could come back from those circumstances, but they did. History was completely against the Bucs as they had not scored a TD in two previous playoff appearances against the Eagles. But the Bucs were able to counter with a long field goal, then the aforementioned Jurevicius play. Another play in that game that has gone forgotten was when McNabb was leading the Eagles back from 17-10 before the half, and I thought for sure they were going to tie it, but Simeon Rice was able cause McNabb to fumble.

I have never, ever, seen a city so cumulatively deflated after a football game as I did after the Eagles lost that game. Going into work the following morning was like witnessing a pallbearing competition.
That game was a very very VERY close second. That may be my all time favorite game because of all the reason you mentioned. But I don't even remember where I was when I saw that game. It's still not as memorable as watching the Bucs in the Superbowl. I remember where I was, what I was wearing, the cheering and hugs that spread around the room after a Bucs interception, and of course, the drive home at 1:30am when people were standing in the streets celebrating.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:23 PM

11,251 posts, read 11,022,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyDizzle23 View Post
Music City Miracle. 1/8/2000. Buffalo at Tennessee - "THERE ARE NO - FLAGS - ON THE FIELD! IT'S A MIRACLE!!!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyDizzle23 View Post
I had never watched or been a part of a game where a trick play worked to perfection at the end of a playoff game. They replayed the controversial play a thousand times from every angle after it happened and it couldn't have been closer to an illegal play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Buffalo - Houston 1993 - The Comeback. Houston with a 35-3 lead in the third quarter chokes and loses the game. Buffalo headed by Frank Reich at QB scores 38 points to Houstons 3 for the rest of the game and wins 41-38.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEH2010 View Post
the music city miracle in january of 2000 when tennessee beat buffalo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
The Buffalo-Houston 93 game, I didn't know until NFL classics showed it later on that the Oilers blew such a large lead. Being only 4 at the time, I couldn't comprehend everything other than the Bills won.
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Oilers vs. Bufffalo (1992)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFerrari View Post
I agree with ^^^west336 on Oilers vs Bills
As a Bills fan - There are two VERY memorable games. But they are memorable from two different extremes. Naturally, The Comeback against the Oilers was the ultimate thrill. But, on the flipside, you have the Music City Miracle against the Titans in 2000. That was by far the ultimate low I have ever experienced as a sports fan. This was the beginning of the end for my beloved Bills who have not been to the playoffs since. Looking at those two games, I find it ironic that the Tennessee Titans used to be the Houston Oilers. Is karma truly a b*tch? Some may say so. But the truth of the matter is that one win was earned while the other was given by the ref's. But, of course, that's just the viewpoint of a Bills fan.

YouTube - "The Music City Miracle" - Tennessee Titans vs. Buffalo Bills - January 8, 2000

Old 09-02-2010, 03:01 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
At least slightly. The Vikes were the Bills of the olden days at the Super Bowl. 23-7 Chiefs, as I seem to recall from my hours upon hours of slinging fries at Howdy Beefburger. A most memorable game for me even if I was working at the time - with the radio on. Waiter! Give me whatever Ghengis is having.

Man, I was a KC fan in those days. My best friend was siding with the Raiders and I was humbled twice by him/them during the regular season. But it all ended on a proverbial high note. Len Dawson for President!
I remember this game, as I was a big Bud Grant/Purple Gang fan. A long dismal day....in retrospect, a little too much of Hank Stram and "65 Toss-power trap"....

And I do remember the Daryle Lamonica/Ben Davidson Raiders beating the Chiefs twice during the season, only to lose to them in the AFL Title Game..

My favorites?

1969 Vikes/Rams NFL playoffs-Page, Eller, Kapp make big plays down the stretch..
1973-Vikes/Redskins playoffs, Grant vs. George Allen, Over-the-Hill Gang
1974 Vikes/Rams playoffs, Osborn over the top for the win
1975 Vikes/Redskins, a 31-30 Redskin win; Skins take 21-0 lead, Vikes come back, take 24-23 lead, lose the lead on Kilmer TD pass, miss GW field goal in last seconds..

Ironically, I don't really care all that much about the NFL today; it has lost quite a bit of its luster..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football