Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2010, 12:13 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,149,944 times

Advertisements

3-Leon Lett being stripped of the ball as he got near the end zone.
2-Dan Marinos fake spike for the winner vs. the Jets.
1-The IMMACULATE RECEPTION!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 11:35 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,093,726 times
The "Heidi" game.

Old 10-09-2010, 12:10 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,793,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
A friend of mine attended that game in the 700 level, and was so drunk he jumped from the aisle down into the tunnel of one of the sections after that Hail mary score at the end of the half, and the incredible thing is that a bunch of people caught him and were throwing him up in the air, like HE had scored. I wasn't at the game, but from what my friends described, being in attendance at that game was magical, like a bunch of long lost friends reuniting.
The 700 level The linc needs a level like that to make games more miserable for opposing fans

Old 10-10-2010, 07:37 PM

377 posts, read 1,082,960 times
Hmmmm. I'd say last year. San Diego vs. NY Giants. I still remember it. November 8, 2009. The Chargers were looking for thier 2nd game win streak. They got it in the last second.

In the 2nd, the Chargers led seven to zip with 14:54 left in the game. To tie the game at 7-7 was 6 yds (Smith). Then was the halftime score. 7 to 7.

In the 3rd, Kris Wilson caught the touchdown. It made the score at 14-7. San Diego with the lead now.

In the 4th, New York scored the following: field goal, touchdown, field goal. The New York Giants were leading the Chargers 20-14. I remember myself going up, knowing the Chargers lost.

Oh, but no, siree. The Chargers looked ahead to thier win, and boy they did. With 5 seconds in the game, I looked in to the TV, but slowly. Seeing that the Chargers were leading 21-20, I watched the rest of the game.

This is how I recapped the game: San Diego Chargers vs. New York Giants - Recap - November 08, 2009 - ESPN

Old 10-10-2010, 08:08 PM

362 posts, read 392,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
For me, it was the 1958 NFL Championship Game between the Baltimore Colts and the New York Giants. This game is referred to as The Greatest Game Ever Played. IMO it was indeed the stuff of legends. At least 17 of those players are now enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. That game really fired things up for the NFL and begat the AFL the next year to cash in on football fever.

It was 28 December 1958 and I sat home in front of a black and white TV to watch it. I recall Alan "The Horse" Ameche storming across the goal line, he had the ball wrapped in his arms like his life depended on it. That image became an iconic vision in Baltimore for decades.

Alan Ameche and another player (Gino Marchetti) went on to start a burger chain in Baltimore (Gino's) that prospered for years until they sold out and it got lost in the corporate buy/sell mania of our times. But I worked at two of those places during HS and CC days, and their double decker sandwich (The Gino Giant) beat the pants off the Big Mac and other such offerings.

Tons of Baltimore Colts fan still have their 45RPM recordings of the Colts fight song and the last two minutes of that game.

More Links:

Pro Football HOF page on the game, with links to other sources, photo's, etc. Photo 9 of 11 shows Ameche's head down 1-yard run that capped an 80-yard drive in Sudden Death.

Here's a 50th anniversary tribute page, with many quotes, including this one from Tom Landry: "I consider it to be the greatest game because of its impact."

The NFL site has a 6-minute video with highlights and interviews.
The immaculate reception. I still say the Raiders got cheated and should have been in the SB. And don't get me started on the tuck game. Why does the NFL hate the Raiders so much.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:26 AM

3,520 posts, read 9,243,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeepoRsheep View Post
The immaculate reception. I still say the Raiders got cheated and should have been in the SB. And don't get me started on the tuck game. Why does the NFL hate the Raiders so much.
I'm not sure the NFL "hates" the Raiders, but if it does, Al Davis' efforts to fight against the NFL during his brief tenure as AFL Commissioner in 1967 before the merger was announced probably plays a factor historically.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:37 AM

582 posts, read 2,039,791 times
The 1994 nfc championship between the cowboys and 49ers. What a game!!! Even though the boys lost the game it was real hard nosed football. My boy's fought until the end.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:28 AM

9,376 posts, read 20,814,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flburgos View Post
The 1994 nfc championship between the cowboys and 49ers. What a game!!! Even though the boys lost the game it was real hard nosed football. My boy's fought until the end.
This is the game where I make my case prevented the Dallas Cowboys from becoming the greatest NFL team in the history of the league. They essentially had one bad quarter in 4 years, and it occurred in the first quarter of this game. Had those 3 turnovers not occurred, the Cowboys would have won four consecutive Super Bowls. When Aikman threw the interception return for a TD on the opening play of the game to Eric Davis, that set the tempo the Cowboys couldn't quite recover from, though they almost very nearly did. The Cowboys also fumbled a kick off, and I think it was the 49ers kicker who actually recovered it, and it was 21-0 after only 7 minutes of football. Then, Emmitt Smith left the game after aggravating a hamstring injury. Even with these factors going against them, they would have pulled to within 3 if the refs threw the flag on Deion Sanders who absolutely mauled Michael Irvin going down the left sideline. Instead, Barry Switzer couldn't control himself, ran onto the field, and drew a 15 yard penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct, which effectively ended the game.

The 49ers went on to destroy the Chargers, but the real Super Bowl was this game at Candlestick. The early 1990s were to the Cowboys and the 49ers to what the mid 2000s were to the Patriots and the Colts, except for the fact that in my opinion, both the Cowboys and 49ers would have manhandled the Patriots or the Colts. The Cowboys team that went on to win the Super Bowl the following year in 1995 was actually poorer than the other 3 previous years. They beat the Steelers with their 'C' game and still won by 10 points.

Great call by flburgos by mentioning this game.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:31 AM

Location: When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic
1,132 posts, read 2,105,898 times
Default 2000 game was one of a kind

Stapleton: Looking for a Meadowlands miracle - NorthJersey.com

Old 10-12-2010, 11:48 AM

582 posts, read 2,039,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
This is the game where I make my case prevented the Dallas Cowboys from becoming the greatest NFL team in the history of the league. They essentially had one bad quarter in 4 years, and it occurred in the first quarter of this game. Had those 3 turnovers not occurred, the Cowboys would have won four consecutive Super Bowls. When Aikman threw the interception return for a TD on the opening play of the game to Eric Davis, that set the tempo the Cowboys couldn't quite recover from, though they almost very nearly did. The Cowboys also fumbled a kick off, and I think it was the 49ers kicker who actually recovered it, and it was 21-0 after only 7 minutes of football. Then, Emmitt Smith left the game after aggravating a hamstring injury. Even with these factors going against them, they would have pulled to within 3 if the refs threw the flag on Deion Sanders who absolutely mauled Michael Irvin going down the left sideline. Instead, Barry Switzer couldn't control himself, ran onto the field, and drew a 15 yard penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct, which effectively ended the game.

The 49ers went on to destroy the Chargers, but the real Super Bowl was this game at Candlestick. The early 1990s were to the Cowboys and the 49ers to what the mid 2000s were to the Patriots and the Colts, except for the fact that in my opinion, both the Cowboys and 49ers would have manhandled the Patriots or the Colts. The Cowboys team that went on to win the Super Bowl the following year in 1995 was actually poorer than the other 3 previous years. They beat the Steelers with their 'C' game and still won by 10 points.

Great call by flburgos by mentioning this game.
No doubt that those teams would manhandle any super bowl team that has won in the last 10 years or so. If you watch the game it was so physical and the refs let the guys play. The boy's came close at the end if they had called that pass interference on Deion covering Irvin late in the game the Boy's might of pulled it off despite spotting them 21 points..Switzer also made a lot of mistakes like throwing the ball on 3 straight downs before the half when the boys were only down 10 and the bleeding had stopped. They should of taken a knee and regroup for the second half instead they end up punting and the niners score again before the half.Larry Allen also had no business playing he was si injured he could not block and Troy had pressure all day from that side of the line.Switzer should of put a back up in the game he would of at least blocked just enough to give Troy Aikman more time. There is also no doubt that if Jimmy had stayed the boy's would of won defintely 4 but possibly 5 in a row. I believe that this was the greatest team of all time.I mean they won without a coach in 95.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football