Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2021, 09:55 AM

45,579 posts, read 27,180,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
On place kicks for PATs and Field Goals I've noted that they always place the ball 8 yards behind the line of scrimmage. That it's always 8 yards had me wondering if that a hard fast NFL rule or just a rule of thumb. I just went through the rule book and cannot find anything on where the ball must be placed on such kicks, so it must be a general rule of thumb, or did I miss something in the NFL rulebook.
It would be to be an optimal distance when taking into considering getting the ball over the defensive line. But you don't want it too far away to make the kick longer than it needs to be.

I thought it was 7 yards technically speaking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2022, 09:22 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Default The Field Goal Kicker

Hello fans, the season is about to start, finally.

Today, the CBS TV show 60 Minutes ran a 13-minute segment on the life of a field goal kicker. Primary focus was on Raven kicker Justin Tucker, as well as others. I found it quite enjoyable and thought you would to.

Tucker kicked the league-record 66 yard field goal. About a third of all points are scored by the kickers.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-05-2022, 07:26 AM

14,321 posts, read 14,618,819 times
Hi, Mike, nice to "see" you and thanks for the link! You're right about points, Packers point leaders are kickers.

Mason Crosby, 38, drafted in '07 heads up the list! I hope Mason is o.k. this year, dealing with a knee issue and missed TC. They are adding a kicker to the PS, he was with them for pre-season games.

Old 09-05-2022, 09:56 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,084,935 times
Lions' all time leading scorers.

Barry Sanders is #4.

Three kickers ahead of him on the list.

Pat Summerall #22 on the Cards' list; Fitz is #2.

Old 09-05-2022, 09:59 AM
YAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Hello fans, the season is about to start, finally.

Today, the CBS TV show 60 Minutes ran a 13-minute segment on the life of a field goal kicker. Primary focus was on Raven kicker Justin Tucker, as well as others. I found it quite enjoyable and thought you would to.

Tucker kicked the league-record 66 yard field goal. About a third of all points are scored by the kickers.
Tucker's kick was against my luvable Lions.

Old 09-05-2022, 10:01 AM
YAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
It would be to be an optimal distance when taking into considering getting the ball over the defensive line. But you don't want it too far away to make the kick longer than it needs to be.

I thought it was 7 yards technically speaking.
My impression as well. And for statistical purposes, included in the yardage.

Old 09-08-2022, 06:39 PM

45,579 posts, read 27,180,466 times
I hope the NFL does not start screwing around w/ the anthem again and become political activists while on the clock. They aren't off to a good start.

They have lost a decent chunk of their viewership over the last few years. You can see it in the number of posters here.

Old 09-11-2022, 12:39 PM

Here's an item for the First Time for Everything category.

SF at Chicago where the skies opened up this morning; the field is a soggy mess. As Chicago was setting up to attempt a field goal, the ball holder used a jersey to pat the field dry and soak up some of the slop so the ball could have better placement. Turns out that this is a 15-yard penalty, took the Bears out of field goal territory. Never seen that before; never knew it was an infraction.

Old 01-08-2023, 05:37 PM

Here's another item for the First Time for Everything category. At least the first time I've seen it.

Saw back to back "delay of game" penalties today by the NY Giants. They were 2nd and goal from the 4 yard line and committed two straight non-intentional delay penalties. Never seen that one before.

Old 01-11-2023, 03:49 PM

Default Injuries on turf versus on grass.

Article in the NY Times today about the players raising objections to playing on turf as they believe turf causes a lot more injuries than on real grass.

Excerpts: "Before players start warming up ahead of Los Angeles Rams home games, Reggie Scott walks the field. The Rams’ senior director of sports medicine and performance, Scott inches his way across the surface at SoFi Stadium, pressing his feet down in the space between hash marks, scuffing his toe in places, using his hands to feel certain spots. He is checking for imperfections — divots, air pockets, even issues with the layers of sub-surface material underneath — which experts say are harder to spot on turf fields than they would be on natural grass. Players can’t see which areas to avoid until they are right on top of them. “You don’t know where a hole is,” said the University of Michigan’s Jason DeMink, who sits on the board of directors for the Sports Field Management Association. “You have to walk the whole thing.” ... The debate between natural playing surfaces versus turf caught fire again this season after a slew of high-profile non-contact injuries. ... “There’s no way to navigate it,” he continued. “Yeah, you’re gonna have ate-up parts of grass. But what happens there, most of the time, is you just fall. The problem with turf is that if you land a little wrong on turf, there’s no give. It’s immediate. And immediate stopping and starting is where people get hurt.” ... A 2018 study for the American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine (AOSSM) found a 16 percent increase in lower-extremity injuries on turf versus grass using data collected from 2012 to 2018. The American Journal of Sports Medicine ascertained that “playing on artificial turf increases the risk of lower-body injury” and that “field surface has a causal effect on injury rates due to synthetic turf’s lack of ability to release an athlete’s shoe” in a 2019 study using data collected from 2012 to 2016. ... "

The article is very long and has a lot of comments from players and team personnel, charts, graphs, etc.

Expect the player's union will get involved. We haven't heard the last of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football