Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2023, 09:01 PM

8,805 posts, read 10,257,310 times

Advertisements

Someone on SiriusXM predicted that the league is going to expand the playoffs again before too much longer, basically adding that 8 seed.

As much as some won't like it, there's too much money left on the table to not go ahead with this, between ad revenue and betting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2023, 09:26 PM

4,671 posts, read 3,871,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Someone on SiriusXM predicted that the league is going to expand the playoffs again before too much longer, basically adding that 8 seed.
How would that work? Have #1 vs #8 seed in the wildcard, so no team would even get a bye? I'd prefer they go back to 6 teams with 2 byes. The 7 seeds have never won a playoff game in the 3 years since it's been 7 teams, so I'd imagine the 8 seed would do even worse.

Old 01-15-2023, 09:43 PM

8,805 posts, read 10,257,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
How would that work? Have #1 vs #8 seed in the wildcard, so no team would even get a bye?.
Correct.

Again, I'm not saying this is a done deal but this person (some insider I guess) seems to think it's going to be at the very least talked about in the league office, which will lead to reality because again, it will make money. We'll all watch and the betters will bet and the advertisers will pay.

Old 01-16-2023, 05:48 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,357,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post

As much as some won't like it, there's too much money left on the table to not go ahead with this, between ad revenue and betting.
I think adding an 18th regular season game and an 8th playoff team in each conference is pretty much inevitable, it might take another 10+ years, but it will happen, like you said, the money is just too enormous by now!

Old 01-16-2023, 09:57 PM

26,231 posts, read 49,107,208 times
Tonight was another of those "never seen it before" moments. The Dallas kicker missed four straight PAT kicks. That's five misses in a row if counting he missed one in the prior game. Unbelievable!
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-17-2023, 03:26 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,580,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Tonight was another of those "never seen it before" moments. The Dallas kicker missed four straight PAT kicks. That's five misses in a row if counting he missed one in the prior game. Unbelievable!

ESPN (TV) just showed a guy's social media post/video where he refers to all of those as missed field goals rather than missed PATs .

Old 01-17-2023, 01:04 PM

6,794 posts, read 5,670,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post

ESPN (TV) just showed a guy's social media post/video where he refers to all of those as missed field goals rather than missed PATs .
I read that...

I would be all for expanding the playoffs to 8 teams per Conf. but i want the top 8 teams so no divisions... similar to the NBA.

I am sure philly and KC fans would have loved a chance to sit at home or at the stadium and watch their team beat up on an 8 seed in the first round.... 1st round byes are not always a good thing..

Old 01-19-2023, 06:26 AM

9,525 posts, read 9,848,359 times
Going back to the first post, 36 balls for an outdoor game or 24 for an indoor game...when does the REF change the ball out and what are the reasons for that?

I've heard that players are charged the cost of a ball if they give it to fan, is that true?

Old 01-19-2023, 08:30 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,833,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I read that...

I would be all for expanding the playoffs to 8 teams per Conf. but i want the top 8 teams so no divisions... similar to the NBA.

I am sure philly and KC fans would have loved a chance to sit at home or at the stadium and watch their team beat up on an 8 seed in the first round.... 1st round byes are not always a good thing..
Byes are never a bad thing.

100% of teams with a bye get to play in the next; less than 100% of teams without a bye move on.

Old 01-19-2023, 06:23 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,783,535 times
Default Interesting things about gridiron football goal-posts

I did not realize this thread existed. I created a thread about football goal-posts back in the general Sports forum and no one is paying attention to it. Anyways, I just wanted to show some interesting trivia about goal-posts that I had read about.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/06/21/hi...nfl-goal-posts

Nowadays in all levels of American football, the goal-posts are all behind the endzone. American colleges and universities have kept their goal-posts behind the end zone since 1927. Yet between 1933 and 1974, the NFL actually put the goal-posts in front of the end zone and players had used the position of the goal posts to their advantage during that time period. The CFL still has the goal-posts in front of the end zone (what they call the goal area) and that's because their field is so big it would be a lot harder to kick a field goal had the post been at the back of the endzone.

The modern day U-shaped goal-post also happens to be a Canadian invention. Prior to its invention, goal-posts were H-shaped.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?i...=1734%2C836099
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football