Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2023, 01:43 PM

8,480 posts, read 4,724,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Now that Raiders are in LV, are people in Oakland or LA still following? Are LV Raiders fans just as bad?
I think the fan base is just a bit hollowed out now. LV is probably proud that they inherited one of the most notorious teams in the NFL, but I don’t know how many “old timers” are really enthused that they left Oakland. LV is on a roll though; the Golden Knights are a real force in the NHL, and it looks like they’re sucking the other Oakland team (MLB Oakland A’s) into Vegas as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2023, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I totally get the different feel about the Raiders since they left Oakland. While the Raiders have been mostly god-awful since their SB appearance against Tampa, the fact they played in Oakland made them an entertaining team to root for. Yes the stadium in Oakland was crappy. However, with my visit in Oakland a couple of years ago, I think it was the perfect football town. Gritty, counted-out, but real loyal people who won’t let you disrespect them without reprisal. That is what I liked about the Oakland fan base at large. Them in Vegas and not Oakland will never feel right to me. That move along with Al Davis passing on kind of sucked the soul of the franchise.
Yes! To some extent I think it’s really close to why the Eagles have such a reputation. If they moved somewhere else, the fandom in the city and the game experience when you’re sitting at the stadium wouldn’t compare. Most cities with an NFL franchise kind of simply have a team. In Oakland, it was a cultural institution and I think the “bad boy” part of being at a Raiders game was this subjective x-factor you can’t recreate anywhere else. Oakland and the Raiders are this weird, beautifully ugly symbiotic relationship which had flair and notoriety and personality. Casual Raiders fans (like my friend here in WNY who was born here and has barely been out of NY state) can’t quite understand that and don’t understand why it just doesn’t “feel” the same with the Raiders gone from Oakland.

Old 04-20-2023, 04:24 PM

17,567 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Yes! To some extent I think it’s really close to why the Eagles have such a reputation. If they moved somewhere else, the fandom in the city and the game experience when you’re sitting at the stadium wouldn’t compare. Most cities with an NFL franchise kind of simply have a team. In Oakland, it was a cultural institution and I think the “bad boy” part of being at a Raiders game was this subjective x-factor you can’t recreate anywhere else. Oakland and the Raiders are this weird, beautifully ugly symbiotic relationship which had flair and notoriety and personality. Casual Raiders fans (like my friend here in WNY who was born here and has barely been out of NY state) can’t quite understand that and don’t understand why it just doesn’t “feel” the same with the Raiders gone from Oakland.

I'll only caution that the Raiders have always had a very widespread fanbase.

Philly.. I mean, come on.. Pretty much only Philly can love Philly. I would think that if you look at fanbases at a national level.. You have far more Raiders fans who had no association with Oakland, LV or LA than Philly fans with no association with Philly.

Raiders, Cowboys, Steelers, Packers and Patriots (Though the latter was likely due to a butt-ton of fair weather fans) I would guess would be the top 5 teams for.. "The Homeless".

Not saying I'm right here.. Just.. Theory.

Old 04-20-2023, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I'll only caution that the Raiders have always had a very widespread fanbase.

Philly.. I mean, come on.. Pretty much only Philly can love Philly. I would think that if you look at fanbases at a national level.. You have far more Raiders fans who had no association with Oakland, LV or LA than Philly fans with no association with Philly.

Raiders, Cowboys, Steelers, Packers and Patriots (Though the latter was likely due to a butt-ton of fair weather fans) I would guess would be the top 5 teams for.. "The Homeless".

Not saying I'm right here.. Just.. Theory.
Well, I think you actually made my point. Eagles fans have always been notorious for being salty, which is why I brought them up as a comparison, but unlike the Raiders, I don’t think folks in Philly would maintain their loyalty of the Eagles flew off. I guess you’d say I’m more like an Eagles fan than a Raiders fan in that respect
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football