Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2023, 03:39 PM

8,525 posts, read 4,766,063 times

Advertisements

More of a rant/rave than a real topic for debate

I inherited a love of the Oakland Raiders from my Pa. Let me tell you, games were sometimes as raucous as their reputation implied, and yes, Oakland Coliseum was terrible. There was something about the team and place that went together. I am apathetic about the Raiders since they moved. I don’t really have a team to root for anymore, aside from “I want the more western team to win”.

I’m not even a big football fan, but it’s to the point where I don’t even bother with super bowl anymore. It’s weird!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2023, 06:58 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,782,409 times
Take a break from the NFL and watch some CFL, XFL, or amateur football for a change. I still root for my home team, the N.E. Patriots, but I am not glued to them anymore either. I enjoy cheering for a variety of teams but more often I like to root for underdogs, teams that haven't won SBs yet, and smaller market teams. The Superbowl is still exciting but I agree that the glamor factor, the performances, the lame commercials, etc. drag it down. Beyond the NFL however, there is plenty more exciting football variety to watch though, without the NFL glamor.

Old 04-08-2023, 03:04 AM

3,741 posts, read 2,572,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Oakland Raiders from my Pa. Let me tell you, games were sometimes as raucous as their reputation implied.. don’t even bother with super bowl anymore. It’s weird!
I still follow the NFL, but don't really support a specific team anymore. And I find fanatic sports fandom repulsive. Stuff like the Black Hole and Cleveland's ol' Dawg Pound seem dumber and dumber to me as time goes by.. grown men eating dog biscuits and spending every fall Sunday like it's Halloween..
As far as the Stupor Bowl, you're not missing much.. all the blowouts of the 80s & early 90s.. terrible, overhyped halftime shows, cultural propaganda etc.
I'm still hopefully awaiting George R R Martin's prophetic Last Super Bowl..

Like the previous poster mentioned, I'm enjoying the spring leagues to dilute my dependence on the NFL.

Old 04-08-2023, 12:42 PM

19,731 posts, read 10,150,448 times
I usually watch the Chiefs since I have met a couple of the players. They moved to KC when I was a kid. But the Superbowl is hard for me to watch even when they are playing. I no longer watch any of the 6-8 hour pregame and the lame ads and horrible halftime make it hard to watch the game. The day will come when it will be on a pay site and it will die off.

Old 04-10-2023, 09:31 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,629 posts, read 81,333,263 times
We actually switched to being 49er fans after attending a Raiders game at the coliseum. The venue sucks, but it was more of the attitudes of the raucous and belligerent fans that put us off. After having beer spilled on us 2-3 times and not being able to see from people standing up, we left in the 3rd quarter. That was in about 1985, and in 1993 we moved to Washington and became Seahawk fans. Just yesterday we watched a Seattle Sea Dragon XFL game. It was actually enjoyable, with different rules, and even the opportunity to get 3 extra points after a touchdown.

As for the Superbowl, we watch only if we care about one of the teams, either like on or hate one. We used to watch the commercials but they have not been very good the last few years, and lately we have changed the channel at halftime when we didn't like the performers. There have not been any good ones lately, since 2011.

Old 04-10-2023, 10:26 AM

17,616 posts, read 15,305,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
I still follow the NFL, but don't really support a specific team anymore. And I find fanatic sports fandom repulsive. Stuff like the Black Hole and Cleveland's ol' Dawg Pound seem dumber and dumber to me as time goes by.. grown men eating dog biscuits and spending every fall Sunday like it's Halloween..
As far as the Stupor Bowl, you're not missing much.. all the blowouts of the 80s & early 90s.. terrible, overhyped halftime shows, cultural propaganda etc.
I'm still hopefully awaiting George R R Martin's prophetic Last Super Bowl..

Like the previous poster mentioned, I'm enjoying the spring leagues to dilute my dependence on the NFL.

I'm just something of a Redskins fan who's put it on the back burner and is waiting for a new owner to hopefully rekindle my love for the team.

Weird situation. Because, I just can't support that moron who owns it now, but we SEEM to have some light at the end of the tunnel. And it's not entirely because of what he's done that is wrong.. It's more how horrible he is at owning a damn football team. Winning covers up a lot of blemishes, you know? Having people apologize when you say you're a Washington fan.. I've had enough of that. I'd bet Detroit fans understand this sentiment.

It does give you a different view, not having a favorite team or anything. I mean, I enjoy seeing Baltimore do well, which is something that never would have happened before. I still take perverse joy in watching the Dallas fans who think they're going to the Super Bowl every year crash and burn. Which.. Honestly, back in the day, was me with Washington.

I'm not even upset about the team name change. Just kinda in the mindset of "Hey, it's a distraction eliminated". Though, I do say that the new owner needs to scrap the Commanders and go another direction.. Which.. I would still put my vote behind Washington Football Team or similar.

Old 04-10-2023, 12:21 PM

26,231 posts, read 49,100,094 times
Quote:
... I am apathetic about ...
I know the feeling. I've been apathetic about football since one night in 1985 when the Baltimore Colts packed up seven Mayflower moving vans full of team gear and drove away in the middle of the night. I grew up with this team and because two people at the top have huge egos this was the result. Millions of my fellow fans were in shock.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-10-2023, 01:03 PM

602 posts, read 506,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I've been apathetic about football since one night in 1985 when the Baltimore Colts packed up seven Mayflower moving vans full of team gear and drove away in the middle of the night.
Actually it was in 1984.

Old 04-11-2023, 02:48 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,779,199 times
Quote:
More of a rant/rave than a real topic for debate

I inherited a love of the Oakland Raiders from my Pa. Let me tell you, games were sometimes as raucous as their reputation implied, and yes, Oakland Coliseum was terrible. There was something about the team and place that went together. I am apathetic about the Raiders since they moved. I don’t really have a team to root for anymore, aside from “I want the more western team to win”.

I’m not even a big football fan, but it’s to the point where I don’t even bother with super bowl anymore. It’s weird!
I totally get the different feel about the Raiders since they left Oakland. While the Raiders have been mostly god-awful since their SB appearance against Tampa, the fact they played in Oakland made them an entertaining team to root for. Yes the stadium in Oakland was crappy. However, with my visit in Oakland a couple of years ago, I think it was the perfect football town. Gritty, counted-out, but real loyal people who won’t let you disrespect them without reprisal. That is what I liked about the Oakland fan base at large. Them in Vegas and not Oakland will never feel right to me. That move along with Al Davis passing on kind of sucked the soul of the franchise.

Old 04-11-2023, 02:52 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,981,389 times
Now that Raiders are in LV, are people in Oakland or LA still following? Are LV Raiders fans just as bad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football