Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2023, 07:20 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,812,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
I agree. And stop using your hands. Its football for gods sake. Also why the oblong ball, just use a round ball. And why kick it over the post, make a box under the post 120 yards apart. I guess one guy using his hands right in front of the goalpost would be okay, but otherwise just feet. If you use your hand, it should be a foul or a penalty or something. And no need for pads. At even the slightest touch you should throw yourself to the ground writhing in pain, then get up and be completely fine 10 seconds after the foul is either called or rejected. Thats NFL football. Lets do it. the World has never seen something like this.
I think you are on to something here. My guess though is it would be very popular in places other than the US. Although, you may be able to get American children to play it in organized leagues around the nation, but once the kids are old enough, my feeling is that most of them will stop enjoying this game you mention.

You should also pitch it to one of those TV streaming services, like Apple TV. I bet they could make a very funny half hour comedy on something like this. I can see an American going to England and trying to coach a bunch of misfit players. I bet that would be funny.

Old 05-09-2023, 10:35 AM

8,414 posts, read 7,409,375 times
"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games."
--Ernest Hemingway.

Old 05-09-2023, 12:41 PM

2,208 posts, read 2,152,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I think you are on to something here. My guess though is it would be very popular in places other than the US. Although, you may be able to get American children to play it in organized leagues around the nation, but once the kids are old enough, my feeling is that most of them will stop enjoying this game you mention.

You should also pitch it to one of those TV streaming services, like Apple TV. I bet they could make a very funny half hour comedy on something like this. I can see an American going to England and trying to coach a bunch of misfit players. I bet that would be funny.
These are great ideas. I think we are onto something. Maybe once every four years we can hold some sort of worldwide tournament whereby all the world outside of America will love it and the Americans will be trounced every 4 years by countries 1/5 their size and with terrible economies.

Old 05-09-2023, 05:59 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptunepenguins View Post
In my opinion the NFL has become a sport in which anyone can basically play, even if they are completely frail. Look no further than Patrick Mahomes winning Super Bowl MVP without much of an ankle. See the NFL is just too easy and is not a real a gladiator sport like UFC, Hockey, or even Rugby. You see in those sports they either don't wear any padding, they are fighting each other, or they play 82 games a season. In the NFL fighting is not allowed, they wear pads, and only play 17 games a season. Not a real tough sport at all. In my opinion the NFL should do one of three things if not all. 1. Allow fighting 2. Ban helmets and padding 3. Play 82 games in a season. That way the NFL can get the true glory of being a worldly sport, and Europeans, Asians, and Canadians won't laugh at us anymore for being wimps.
Why is this obvious troll thread still here?

Old 05-09-2023, 06:05 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games."
--Ernest Hemingway.
Way to quote Hemingway, I will too.

Quote:
A woman ruined Scott. … But why couldn’t he have told her to go to hell? Because she was sick. It’s being sick makes them act so bloody awful usually and it’s because they’re sick you can’t treat them as you should. The first great gift for a man is to be healthy and the second, maybe greater, is to fall [in] with healthy women. You can always trade one healthy woman in on another. But start with a sick woman and see where you get. … Anyway let’s leave the subject. If you leave a woman, though, you probably ought to shoot her. It would save enough trouble in the end, even if they hanged you.
It was a Different Time: 15 Wildly Offensive Quotes from Your Favorite Authors — The Airship

Old 05-09-2023, 07:28 PM

11,460 posts, read 5,980,816 times
You have a $40 million per year investment. Yeah, just throw him to wolves. Great idea.

Not a gladiator sport. So how did Mahomes wreck his ankle, taking a selfie?

Old 05-09-2023, 07:40 PM

9,977 posts, read 5,675,804 times
On the contrary, the pads and helmets enable them to hit each other so hard as to make it one of the most injury-prone and dangerous pro sports in the world. If anything, THAT should be the reason for getting rid of pads and helmets, so the person doing the trucking feels it as much as much as the person being trucked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
I especially liked the observation about how the NFL, because players use helmets and pads, is not a real gladiator sport such as hockey, where players use helmets and pads.
His argument is, at least hockey players shed their gloves and punch the s*#t out of each other once in a while thus making it an actual "gladiator" sport. Of course, that's really only true in the NHL; every other league I know of the refs will break up fights almost immediately and the offenders get ejected and/or fined rather than told merely to go sit down for a few minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football