Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2023, 07:29 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,399,597 times

Advertisements

Well it has been a really long time since I started a thread but the decision to air one playoff game on livestream exclusively makes no sense! I just don’t understand this! This has to be one of the silliest moves ever. Any thoughts?

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/amp/...uujyxwhq3ppvxv

Last edited by Jonathan Ashbeck; 05-16-2023 at 08:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2023, 02:54 AM

3,741 posts, read 2,573,857 times
Jonathan, Good to see you back. I miss your posts in the Wisconsin football thread..

Moving non-Sunday afternoon games off free TV has become standard operating procedure (unfortunately). It's to compel NFL fans to purchase more pay channels (like Prime, ESPN, now Peacock etc). In fairness, it is a shrewd, understandable business decision.

Old 05-17-2023, 04:16 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,355,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
I just don’t understand this! This has to be one of the silliest moves ever. Any thoughts?
Not that hard to understand, NBC/Universal just paid $110 million to the NFL to broadcast a single playoff game, that's like $3.44 million per team!

For the fans not in the markets playing the game, it stinks, but for the NFL that's just crazy money for a single game.

I think NBC/Universal is going to charge $4.99 for the game if you want to stream it.

Old 05-17-2023, 07:11 AM

14,333 posts, read 14,638,702 times
Hi, Jonathan! Great to see you, and welcome back! I'm in Iowa now, still following the Packers.

I don't get it, find it somewhat annoying. I'm in apt. now, sold my house, TV is available through Mediacom Cable so that's what I have. I don't do streaming TV. I do know that it's all about the $$$$, of course!

Old 05-17-2023, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Hi, Jonathan! Great to see you, and welcome back! I'm in Iowa now, still following the Packers.

I don't get it, find it somewhat annoying. I'm in apt. now, sold my house, TV is available through Mediacom Cable so that's what I have. I don't do streaming TV. I do know that it's all about the $$$$, of course!
Thanks for the welcome! I have not been regular on this thread for a while but yeah this move just makes no sense for a playoff game to air exclusively on livestream. It just makes me shake my head.

Old 05-17-2023, 12:49 PM

68,343 posts, read 54,462,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
Well it has been a really long time since I started a thread but the decision to air one playoff game on livestream exclusively makes no sense! I just don’t understand this! This has to be one of the silliest moves ever. Any thoughts?

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/amp/...uujyxwhq3ppvxv

Mine would be: NFL=GREED

If they put all NFL games on some sort of paid-TV I'll likely become quite a soccer fan.

Old 05-17-2023, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Mine would be: NFL=GREED

If they put all NFL games on some sort of paid-TV I'll likely become quite a soccer fan.
I think the nfl has become greedy for quite a while now.

Old 05-18-2023, 09:24 AM

9,525 posts, read 9,844,973 times
This is getting a bit insane. In your thread OP, there is a tweet that shows the NFL being on 9 different networks this season - 10 if you included Sunday Ticket.

It's going to tough to follow your team, especially those who don't have these services.

Old 05-18-2023, 09:40 AM

9,525 posts, read 9,844,973 times
From Sportsnaut:

Each year, the league receives more than $10 billion from its broadcasting partners. Google paid $2 billion per season for the rights to Sunday Ticket, Amazon is providing the league with more than $1 billion per year for exclusive rights to Thursday Night Football, Disney pays $2.5 billion per year to broadcast Monday Night Football and playoff games, while NBC ($1.7 billion), FOX ($2 billion) and CBS ($1.85 billion) each pay for weekly games, playoff matchups and a Super Bowl.

Old 05-18-2023, 03:01 PM

17,616 posts, read 15,310,890 times
In reality.. This isn't that different from when they started putting the Thursday Night games on the NFL Network.. And now on Amazon..

Other than the fact this is a playoff game.

Now.. I'll get to see the game. Youtube TV with a Fake GPS app still works. So, if that game is.. Baltimore vs Indianapolis.. Well, with a few clicks on my phone, i'm "in" Baltimore and get their local stations.

But.. This has a big chance of blowing up in their faces. If people can't see the playoff games, they may stop caring about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football