Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2024, 12:06 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times

Advertisements

It's hard to predict the season just a day after the Super Bowl -- who knows who's even on what team next year! But let's get it going.

I'd say KC will be in the running again assuming they keep Jones and Kelce, particularly if they continue to shore up the receiver group.

Seattle (my team) will contend in the NFC West, but that's a leap. Will they keep Geno, elevate Luck, draft Penix (just hired his OC!). Otherwise there's a lot of good young talent to build upon, and a moderate cap situation.

San Francisco seems to be avoiding a sell-off due to transferring much of their 2023 cap space to add more capacity in 2024. They have one more year before the Purdy gets his monster contract. Even this year they'll have some trouble, so it might be hard to run it back. And that assumes they don't get a lot of injuries (ones before the actual Super Bowl).

Arizona is probably on the rise. The Rams avoided a complete rebuild by drafting well, particularly Puka. The Broncos have an interesting cap situation due to Russ. Can't wait to see what Chicago does. It'll be a fascinating spring.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2024, 12:10 PM

3,937 posts, read 2,338,527 times
I say Giants to the Super Bowl. It's called blind loyalty.

Old 02-12-2024, 12:59 PM

9,496 posts, read 9,804,183 times
KC and (insert NFC pansy here) will be in SB 59!

Old 02-12-2024, 01:07 PM

5,456 posts, read 3,908,860 times
Current SB champion odds have, in order, SF, KC, Buffalo, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Detroit, Dallas, Philadelphia as the top eight. Predictable enough. I'd take Philadelphia at their price because they're in the weaker conference and we know what they're capable of when full strength. Very enigmatic final six weeks or so for them. The NFC North will be the most interesting division to monitor this off-season IMO. Carolina and Tennessee seem like the only teams that can already be written off for 2024 (assuming Washington and NE take quarterbacks at picks 2 and 3). The Bills are in cap hell but are a bit likelier to get better than they are to get worse. Deep WR class in the draft and next year's AFC champ could be determined by who gets more value out of their likely WR drafted at the end of the 1st, Buffalo or KC. Jets with Rodgers are probably the best dark horse to bet, though there's certainly a decent chance that Rodgers never recovers anything close to his vintage form. The rest of that team is pretty talented, though

Old 02-12-2024, 01:16 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,079,020 times
I believe the NFC North is gonna be hot next year.

The basement dweller in the division will have 9 wins.

If the schedulers are smart, GB vs. DET & Vikings vs. Bears for week 18.

It'd be like an extended playoff season.

Old 02-12-2024, 01:25 PM

5,456 posts, read 3,908,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
I believe the NFC North is gonna be hot next year.

The basement dweller in the division will have 9 wins.

If the schedulers are smart, GB vs. DET & Vikings vs. Bears for week 18.

It'd be like an extended playoff season.
If Chicago and Minnesota both start rookie QBs, then I'll set the win total O/U for 4th place in the NFC North at 6.5, with the over being a slight favorite

Old 02-12-2024, 02:40 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
If Chicago and Minnesota both start rookie QBs, then I'll set the win total O/U for 4th place in the NFC North at 6.5, with the over being a slight favorite

Yeah. This is where you just don't know. Too many teams have massive holes or unknowns in the roster at the moment. Where does Cousins wind up? Pittsburgh has been mentioned lately, though.. I suspect he's back with the Vikings. But.. He could make a big difference there.

Teams like Washington that.. Have some good pieces in place. If they can make the right signings, or the new coach works out.. They could turn things around.

Chargers, I expect to be much better next year.

What are the Raiders going to do at QB?

Will Aaron Rodgers get the Jets a few more wins to get them into the playoffs? Will he last more than 4 snaps?

What happens with Russell Wilson?

Does the Dallas defense fall back without Dan Quinn? Most players have credited him with the success there. With Dak and the offense struggling at times.. If the defense falls off, does that kick Dallas out of being a playoff team (This one, I say yes)

The teams that missed out.. Cincy. If they get back in, who does that kick out of the playoffs? Cleveland? Pittsburgh?

Put this on ice until after the draft at least. At that point, some decent arguments could perhaps be made. I'd probably wait until just before or after the preseason.

Old 02-12-2024, 02:43 PM

1,977 posts, read 967,445 times
KC not going to win three in a row.

Their schedule is very difficult and they have several big players who are UFAs - Gay, Hardman, Chris Jones, Townsend, Snead, Nnadi, Wharton.

Old 02-12-2024, 03:11 PM

14,321 posts, read 14,611,366 times
Have to laugh at these early lists. Sports Illustrated had Eagles at 9 and Packers at 10. Their list included Miami which pushed Philly to 9. One that makes me smile is Dallas, they get the hype, regardless of the fact, what have they done lately in the playoffs???

Addition: Draft Kinds has Philly 8, Pack 9 and Dallas 10, that's more like it, sorry Cowboy fans. I think this year will be a tough one, unless Zimmer works some "D" magic.

Last edited by susancruzs; 02-12-2024 at 03:30 PM..

Old 02-12-2024, 03:31 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
Assuming a $245m cap, six teams have at least $60m in current cap space for 2024, so generally some room to keep their current players, sign extensions, maybe add a big piece or two. Rounding off:
--Washington $84m
--Tennessee $72m
--New England $67m
--Houston $62m
--Indianapolis $62m
--Cincinnati $61m

21 teams have between $42m and -$27m.

Five teams have -$31m to -$86m. Some will be able to mask a lot of that by turning salary into bonus and spreading that over several years, or cutting underperformers, but they're generally going to have to cut real value.
--Denver -$31m
--Chargers -44m
--Miami -$51m
--Buffalo -$57m
--New Orleans -$86m

That's all from https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2024/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football