Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 12:28 PM

8,803 posts, read 10,236,737 times

Advertisements

Anyone thinking this could be the year they finally squeak into playoff territory?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 01:17 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times
They'll be in the playoffs this year. They probably just won't win this first game....

Old 09-13-2009, 09:34 PM

52,684 posts, read 47,932,189 times
These guys had a chance to make a big impression to 80 percent of the country. So, they proceeded to come out to Reliant in front of their home fans and simply lay an egg. Offense didn't click, and their defense did play well for the first two quarters.

Gary Kubiak seems to have a problem inspiring his players when games like this are about to get played. You've got to have your guys ready to play, complete with a game plan. He is reportedly on the hot seat this season and, going in, much is expected. I'm predicting now that they'll go 0-2 in their first two (they will lose in Tennessee next week), and then, let's see how it goes. My regular season prediction for them was to go 9-7 and I still believe that now.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:45 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
As a longtime Bronco fan, I want Kubiak to succeed. But case44 confirms what I have heard, they have to have a winning season for him to be retained. This is his third year, I believe, and management wants results. Sometimes assistants can have great minds with the x's and o's of the game, but as motivators, some just can't get the message through to their players.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:47 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Anyone thinking this could be the year they finally squeak into playoff territory?

Lets just say a cocktail waitress approached me at the pub near the end of the 4th quarter of the game. She said "You know, your the only one in here who is smiling." I responded, "Because I'm rooting for the Vikings, and watch this replay of Purple Jesus". She dejectedly said "I was so looking forward to football starting, but we really suck today."

Old 09-20-2009, 09:07 PM

Well, what a difference a week makes. A much better outing by the offense today. Matt Schaub and Andre Johnson did precisely what they were supposed to do on Sunday. Schaub tied a franchise record for touchdown passes in one game with four touchdown passes. Steve Slaton was a little better this week, but could not get many openings. My concern is still with the defense and the poor play of the overall line.

Still, I'm hoping people around the league take notice with this very important victory for Houston on the road. The Texans are 1-1, and the Titans are now 0-2.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:17 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,783,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
These guys had a chance to make a big impression to 80 percent of the country. So, they proceeded to come out to Reliant in front of their home fans and simply lay an egg. Offense didn't click, and their defense did play well for the first two quarters.

Gary Kubiak seems to have a problem inspiring his players when games like this are about to get played. You've got to have your guys ready to play, complete with a game plan. He is reportedly on the hot seat this season and, going in, much is expected. I'm predicting now that they'll go 0-2 in their first two (they will lose in Tennessee next week), and then, let's see how it goes. My regular season prediction for them was to go 9-7 and I still believe that now.
They didn't lay an egg, they were beat by a better team, possibly the best team in the AFC this year. The Jets are powerful this year, and losing to them is not laying an egg.

The Texans are still one of the best teams in the AFC. They have a great shot at going to and through the playoffs. If they should face the Jets again, they can beat them - it would be another tough game for both teams.

And FWIW, I'm not even a Jets fan, I'm a Giants fan, so I'm being objective i this - I don't care for either team over the other, really.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
They didn't lay an egg, they were beat by a better team, possibly the best team in the AFC this year. The Jets are powerful this year, and losing to them is not laying an egg.

The Texans are still one of the best teams in the AFC. They have a great shot at going to and through the playoffs. If they should face the Jets again, they can beat them - it would be another tough game for both teams.

And FWIW, I'm not even a Jets fan, I'm a Giants fan, so I'm being objective i this - I don't care for either team over the other, really.
What the Texans have to do is be ready to play. The coaches have to have a set game plan every week, and Kubiak sometimes hasn't gotten his guys ready in some weeks, like last week, for example.

The key is to make plays when it matters. The Texans showed that today offensively. They did the things they were capable of doing, but the defense must improve. A win over Tennessee on the road can only be a motivating factor when we get back home for the Jags and Raiders in the next few weeks.

Old 09-20-2009, 10:36 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,783,632 times
Quote:
What the Texans have to do is be ready to play. The coaches have to have a set game plan every week, and Kubiak sometimes hasn't gotten his guys ready in some weeks, like last week, for example.

The key is to make plays when it matters. The Texans showed that today offensively. They did the things they were capable of doing, but the defense must improve. A win over Tennessee on the road can only be a motivating factor when we get back home for the Jags and Raiders in the next few weeks.
All of that is true for every team that has the talent to excel...

The point is that your Texans are as talented a team as any other in the NFL. You have all the right components.

What will be settled on the field is based on those things you mentioned, which are the "x-factors". But that is only the case when your team has talent. For a lot of teams, they just don't have the talent, so even if they're ready for a game and if they maintain the better focus, they can still be beaten.

The Texans-Jets game was not Texas "laying an egg". It was two talented teams who showed up to play, and maybe the Jets were more focused. Maybe the Jets are more talented. Or maybe not. Maybe the Texans could have been more focused; but it wasn't like they were completely out of it, they played very well and very hard but still got beat. It's not laying an egg, it's just getting beat.

Laying an egg would be if they were routed by the Jets, and they weren't.

Good luck to your team. You have a product of my town on that team, Cushing. I think you Texans fans will have a lot to be happy about this season.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:42 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Quote:
Well, what a difference a week makes. A much better outing by the offense today. Matt Schaub and Andre Johnson did precisely what they were supposed to do on Sunday. Schaub tied a franchise record for touchdown passes in one game with four touchdown passes. Steve Slaton was a little better this week, but could not get many openings. My concern is still with the defense and the poor play of the overall line.

Still, I'm hoping people around the league take notice with this very important victory for Houston on the road. The Texans are 1-1, and the Titans are now 0-2.
I disagree. Aside from Chris Johnson's big plays (there were three), the Texans did pretty good on defense (for the most part). Brian Cushing is going to be a beast. He was all over the field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football