Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2014, 07:59 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,217,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
NO child should be hit in any way, never mind with a belt.. for gods sake what kind of parents does cruel things like this... its only to get out their own anger and frustration.. and should never be allowed...if you hit an adult you can be jailed so why not the same ... and isnt it just bullying when a child is defenceless and cant hit back... its horrible and Im in shock that some said it done them good.. all it does is show pain gets results, ..... fear...
"He who spares the rod hates his child." The Holy Bible
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 08:14 AM

128 posts, read 147,452 times
Doesn't bother me now when looking back at it.

Though I see little ethically wrong with spanking, as I see no conclusive evidence that it's harmful and if so in what sense. It's moot IMO.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:26 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,713,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
"He who spares the rod hates his child." The Holy Bible
An often misused quote. In the language of the time, the rod was used to guide the sheep...not beat them. Why would you beat the very animals your family and community were depending on for meat, fabric and milk...not to mention trade and barter with others?

Parents should guide, teach, and disipline their kids...that is not the problem. (Hint: Disipline doesn't mean hit them either.)

Old 02-18-2014, 03:10 PM

807 posts, read 1,354,984 times
Spanked and deserved them. It didn't "emotionally" scar me one bit and taught me to listen. I will do the same if I need to with my children.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:16 PM

20,770 posts, read 20,001,589 times
Spanked when deserved and sometimes spanked when not deserved. Not brutally spanked though.

No resentment towards my dad for spanking.
But I still have resentment towards my mom for cruel words when I grew up. I will never forget them.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:19 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,717,716 times
Me and my siblings got spanked on occasion, but they were "fake" spankings, in other words, they didnt really hurt, they werent of the vicious nature, so we kind of laughed them off. I do appreciate the discipline i received growing up, i didnt have really strict parents, but they sort of didnt let me run wild either and that's why i turned into the greatest guy in the world lol.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:40 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,491,159 times
I was spanked and I believe in it. That's not to say that parents to prefer not to spank ought to do so, as long as they are doing something that does work.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:26 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,687,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Yep, I was spanked as a kid and even paddled in school and it didn't screw me up in any way like the fear mongers would have us believe. A little paddling on the backside is totally different from beating a child.

I also paddled my two Sons when they were young, and now that they are grown they have thanked me for being a strict Dad who loved them enough to want them to learn right from wrong. Some people feel that isn't possible, but it worked for us, and that is all I care about.

Don
It was the same in my family. I might have been spanked 3 or 4 times, and it was not a beating and it was not because my parents were angry. It was because I did something I knew better than to do and did it anyway. I deserved it. I survived.

Discipline is important. But these days it doesn't seem to be politically correct, so the kids rule the roost and the parents are afraid the kids won't like them if they discipline them. Sad.

Benjamin Spock was one of the worst things to happen to America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Got em, needed em, better off for em.
Yep.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:44 PM

n/a posts
I probably got more butt whoopins than most people. I got them at school, and at home.

When I went to school things like not doing your homework, making noise in class, failing a test, speaking in the wrong language, talking back to a teacher etc, would be 'solved' with the help of a tool. We called it a 'stick'.

I remember there were times I'd go a month being beaten on the daily. Monday through Friday, Saturday too! We had Saturday school.

Then we'd come home and have to answer for all those misdeeds that were done as children. Usually a broomstick.

Where I've been..

Old 02-19-2014, 06:13 AM

17,637 posts, read 17,730,526 times
I rarely got spanked and when I did, it was before the age of 10. Depending on the maturity of the child, by the age of 10, spanking isn't going to work. The way my parents used it was the spanking or slap came the instant I did something wrong. Because it happened so quickly after doing something wrong, it was like slap to bring me to my senses to realize what I did was wrong. It wasn't about the pain. As I matured, they didn't need to slap or spank to punish. They now knew me and my sister enough to know what we enjoyed that they could take away from us as punishment. The state and federal government needs to stay out of our family business and focus on fixing their own houses of corruption. Perhaps those elected politicians and government officials need a serious butt kicking to knock some sense back into their thick skulls. They need to focus on performing their jobs according to the US and State Constitution's limitations put upon them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology