Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 01:06 PM

15,253 posts, read 13,007,670 times

Advertisements

People get angry when they feel helpless. You will see this a lot in older folks, like the man who was upset because he had to produce his ID to buy cough syrup.

Many of these laws make no sense. I have to produce my ID to buy the only antihistamine that works for me. Some dim bulb in government decided that since that medication can be broken down to extract a substance used in manufacturing meth, everyone who buys it should have to identify themselves AND there's a strict limit on how much you can buy. Has this stopped the meth trade? Nope. Hasn't even slowed it down. Will this law ever be repealed because it is hopelessly ineffective? You know the answer to that.

So, yeah, I get his frustration and rage. I think it's justified. First antihistamines, then cough syrup, what's it going to be next? Will I have to be fingerprinted to buy Advil?

You know the cough syrup restriction is not going to stop kids from getting their hands on it. They'll just steal it out of granny's medicine cabinet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 01:12 PM

1,257 posts, read 891,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
You know the cough syrup restriction is not going to stop kids from getting their hands on it. They'll just steal it out of granny's medicine cabinet.
Only if granny shows her ID.

Old 10-04-2017, 01:17 PM

731 posts, read 937,612 times
Unfortunately, I feel like our country is on a "*********, when do I get mine!?!" path. Some of that is being taught by 24 hours news and the internet, but maybe some of it is the dissolution of the middle class and people feeling like no one cares about them. I think the election of someone who talks like Trump speaks volumes about how so many feel.

We are also constantly barraged with messages about all of this nice "stuff" we should have and then chastised that we don't work hard enough at two jobs to get it. It would be nice if we could all get off of this wild merry-go-round, slow down, and care about spending time together instead of all our stuff (I, of course, am guilty of this too).

As a parent, I've actually been shamed for spending too much energy teaching my kids to be nice and not enough teaching them to stand up for themselves. And I felt guilty about it, until I worked in a school cafeteria and witnessed the daily barrage of very smart kids who have been taught to be aggressive instead of polite. It was very disconcerting and I no longer feel bad about not teaching my shy kids to be aggressive. I like the people my kids are becoming and I enjoy spending time with them. I'm just sad that they are supposed to learn to "fight back" all the time, because so many kids are being taught to fight to get ahead. I'm sure I could teach a nuanced version of standing up for yourself (still hard when kids are so shy), but others could also teach a more nuanced version of their aggressiveness. Try adding please and thank you to a sentence once in awhile. It means a lot when I hear it.

I know it's hard, especially due to social media, but it would be nice if restaurants and stores would stop rewarding the screamers by giving them what they want. If they scream at you, give them their money back and ask them to leave. I don't want to be at an establishment where people are constantly yelling because it gets them free stuff. No shirt, no shoes, no screaming, no service! Sigh.

Old 10-04-2017, 01:25 PM

3,402 posts, read 3,584,867 times
I think is because lack of self discipline. Base on my own experience with my own emotional management, I found that emotions can be control, and you just need to be aware of the state yourself in. Understand why you get mad is crucial because without knowing it you just can't control it. For example, people honk while a car in front of them doesn't move, that's because the driver is expected to move and continue to the destination. When the expectation is not met, we get frustrated, then follow by anger, and you just keep letting emotion riding on top of you.

Old 10-04-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustinginSeattle View Post
Unfortunately, I feel like our country is on a "*********, when do I get mine!?!" path. Some of that is being taught by 24 hours news and the internet, but maybe some of it is the dissolution of the middle class and people feeling like no one cares about them. I think the election of someone who talks like Trump speaks volumes about how so many feel.

We are also constantly barraged with messages about all of this nice "stuff" we should have and then chastised that we don't work hard enough at two jobs to get it. It would be nice if we could all get off of this wild merry-go-round, slow down, and care about spending time together instead of all our stuff (I, of course, am guilty of this too).

As a parent, I've actually been shamed for spending too much energy teaching my kids to be nice and not enough teaching them to stand up for themselves. And I felt guilty about it, until I worked in a school cafeteria and witnessed the daily barrage of very smart kids who have been taught to be aggressive instead of polite. It was very disconcerting and I no longer feel bad about not teaching my shy kids to be aggressive. I like the people my kids are becoming and I enjoy spending time with them. I'm just sad that they are supposed to learn to "fight back" all the time, because so many kids are being taught to fight to get ahead. I'm sure I could teach a nuanced version of standing up for yourself (still hard when kids are so shy), but others could also teach a more nuanced version of their aggressiveness. Try adding please and thank you to a sentence once in awhile. It means a lot when I hear it.

I know it's hard, especially due to social media, but it would be nice if restaurants and stores would stop rewarding the screamers by giving them what they want. If they scream at you, give them their money back and ask them to leave. I don't want to be at an establishment where people are constantly yelling because it gets them free stuff. No shirt, no shoes, no screaming, no service! Sigh.
It's like Lord of the Flies!

Old 10-04-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
I think is because lack of self discipline. Base on my own experience with my own emotional management, I found that emotions can be control, and you just need to be aware of the state yourself in. Understand why you get mad is crucial because without knowing it you just can't control it. For example, people honk while a car in front of them doesn't move, that's because the driver is expected to move and continue to the destination. When the expectation is not met, we get frustrated, then follow by anger, and you just keep letting emotion riding on top of you.
I've honked a few times ... when cars sit on green because they aren't paying attention ... or they stop on green (Who stops on green? People down here.)

Honking the very millisecond it turns green is aggressive. Nobody should go instantly upon green, you have to make sure cross traffic has fully stopped (it doesn't always).

Old 10-04-2017, 01:52 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,457,559 times
Quote:
People get angry when they feel helpless. You will see this a lot in older folks, like the man who was upset because he had to produce his ID to buy cough syrup.

Many of these laws make no sense. I have to produce my ID to buy the only antihistamine that works for me. Some dim bulb in government decided that since that medication can be broken down to extract a substance used in manufacturing meth, everyone who buys it should have to identify themselves AND there's a strict limit on how much you can buy. Has this stopped the meth trade? Nope. Hasn't even slowed it down. Will this law ever be repealed because it is hopelessly ineffective? You know the answer to that.

So, yeah, I get his frustration and rage. I think it's justified. First antihistamines, then cough syrup, what's it going to be next? Will I have to be fingerprinted to buy Advil?

You know what? At my job I have to put up with unbelievable amounts of b*******. That doesn't mean I act like an ahole everyone else.

Just because there's a reason to be angry doesn't mean you need to treat everyone else like a piece of dirt. Especially since they're not the ones who made the rule.

Old 10-04-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You know what? At my job I have to put up with unbelievable amounts of b*******. That doesn't mean I act like an ahole everyone else.

Just because there's a reason to be angry doesn't mean you need to treat everyone else like a piece of dirt. Especially since they're not the ones who made the rule.
Exactly. No one is our punching bag.

Old 10-04-2017, 01:59 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,032,635 times
Quote:

But who is your rage directed at? Most people are flipping out on the clerk. The clerk has nothing to do with it.

Old 10-04-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
But who is your rage directed at? Most people are flipping out on the clerk. The clerk has nothing to do with it.
It's directed at anyone and anything in the vicinity. An overgrown toddler tantrum is an absurd thing to behold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology