Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 10:19 PM

17,860 posts, read 9,297,914 times

Advertisements

I don't know if it is ok to post this in the Relationships forum. I think the people that visit this forum will find this interesting (as opposed to the TV forum people who likely wouldn't have any idea what I'm talking about).

Anyway, tonight's episode of Law & Order: Special Victims Unit was about incels. This was the first time I've ever seen this subject on TV. They had all the lingo -- Chads, Staceys, etc. -- and it focused on an online community of 6,000 incels.

The title of the episode is "Revenge" and here is the description:

"As a string of break-in assaults grows more violent, the cops investigate an online incel group to identify a suspect."

NBC usually puts the full episode on their website the day after it aired.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:46 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,375,666 times
Interesting.

Old 10-12-2018, 07:46 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,278,702 times
A friend who works in IT (thus knows a lot of geeky types) told me about Involuntary Celibates and I looked them up. They are an angry, scary bunch. I swear they want to go back to the days when they could club a woman over the head and drag her into the nearest cave.

Last edited by athena53; 10-12-2018 at 08:04 AM..

Old 10-12-2018, 07:49 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,537,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
A friend who works in IT (this knows a lot of geeky types) told me about Involuntary Celibates and I looked them up. They are an angry, scary bunch. I swear they want to go back to the days when they could club a woman over the head and drag her into the nearest cave.
Doubt they’d know what to do with her even then.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:56 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,801,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
A friend who works in IT (thus knows a lot of geeky types) told me about Involuntary Celibates and I looked them up. They are an angry, scary bunch. I swear they want to go back to the days when they could club a woman over the head and drag her into the nearest cave.
I admit I’m an involuntary celibate. But I reject the label of incel, mainly because I don’t consider myself a woman hater. When it comes to groups like MGTOW and incels, my attitude is “I can do bad all by myself.” Why I’ll never associate myself with those groups.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:03 AM

29,762 posts, read 34,469,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I admit I’m an involuntary celibate. But I reject the label of incel, mainly because I don’t consider myself a woman hater. When it comes to groups like MGTOW and incels, my attitude is “I can do bad all by myself.” Why I’ll never associate myself with those groups.
That's the thing--I get being frustrated or upset that certain things that seem easy for other people are difficult for you (general you, not specifically you, Diss.) The issue I see with the online groups like MGOTW and the incel sites is that they're so steeped in toxic negativity. These guys aren't coming up with constructive, supportive ways to advocate for themselves or to make positive choices to be content with their lives. They're wallowing in hatred and misery and wondering why that's not paying off for them.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:17 AM

17,860 posts, read 9,297,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Having read many of your posts, it seems like you simply practice abstinence. And that's a choice.

Unless I'm mistaken, referring to yourself as being involuntary celibate is not accurate.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Having read many of your posts, it seems like you simply practice abstinence. And that's a choice.

Unless I'm mistaken, referring to yourself as being involuntary celibate is not accurate.

This is news to me. I don’t purposely practice abstinence. I just really suck at dating. If I had my choice I’d be in a relationship where I’d get regular sex.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:34 AM

19,718 posts, read 12,289,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
That's the thing--I get being frustrated or upset that certain things that seem easy for other people are difficult for you (general you, not specifically you, Diss.) The issue I see with the online groups like MGOTW and the incel sites is that they're so steeped in toxic negativity. These guys aren't coming up with constructive, supportive ways to advocate for themselves or to make positive choices to be content with their lives. They're wallowing in hatred and misery and wondering why that's not paying off for them.
They worry a lot about a small percentage of the population - "Chads" who get a lot of girls. Nothing new there, they used to be called Romeos or different names. Other men would admire them. But the incels are just really angry that some men do well with women. They are an entitled bunch.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Well I think there is a real reason why our legislative branch shares the same name with a bunch of baboons. (Yes I know that ain’t true but it has a point) Them groups are like crabs in a bucket, holding each other back and just in the bucket not smelling or getting any better. Even when I was more apt to follow their beliefs, I still was turned off by their negativity, as someone who was extremely negative himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.