Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2021, 02:03 PM

173 posts, read 111,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
I am bringing this up ---.
You better either learn to ignore the upstairs neighbor (which I don't anticipate happening) or look for moving out. Contemplate of renting a room for short time if that may come as better option, while storing your extra belongings in public storage or so. Maybe live in caregiver option my pop up for you.
There may be your standards are slightly different towards acceptable behavior, since there was a case of coworker I had that everyone that didn't fit her criteria was definitely a person whos name was brought up in her complains to manager.
As it's said, you only can change yourself and not others, and while working on it you may re-elaborate what's important for you: having stressful moments caused by people you can not do anything about or move in with someone who can help you pay for other place and leave annoying somebody behind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2021, 09:47 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,680,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 51squirrel33 View Post
You better either learn to ignore the upstairs neighbor (which I don't anticipate happening) or look for moving out. Contemplate of renting a room for short time if that may come as better option, while storing your extra belongings in public storage or so. Maybe live in caregiver option my pop up for you.
There may be your standards are slightly different towards acceptable behavior, since there was a case of coworker I had that everyone that didn't fit her criteria was definitely a person whos name was brought up in her complains to manager.
As it's said, you only can change yourself and not others, and while working on it you may re-elaborate what's important for you: having stressful moments caused by people you can not do anything about or move in with someone who can help you pay for other place and leave annoying somebody behind.
??

Old 12-20-2021, 11:16 PM

To mention, there was a recent incident regarding the upstairs neighbor I originally addressed here. After hearing loud audio Bass sounds (again) a while before and after midnight, I called the police to visit him. It took a awhile (and is why I don't like doing that, not knowing when they will arrive and if it might stop in the meantime). They showed up and spoke to him, then I spoke to police at my door afterwards, which the neighbor was aware of.

Then he began aggressively stomping, hitting walls, rattling windows (which they heard the beginning of while at my door as the officer said to "document everything"). This behavior continued between 1:30 and 2:00 a.m., it was insane. It became louder, his raising music volume, as I thought to try recording it all onto the iPad. I had wished the cops had remained (but they do not come indoors, which having it witnessed is all I have wanted).

I called the manager who had heard him slam his door...our units being 7 apartments away from the manager and it must have been heard by others, being severe in my unit. (She said she would call him, but he never answers).

I later played recordings for the manager who had spoken to the supervisor regarding, who wants the manager to hear the audio noise herself, then will act upon. It was suggested to email my recordings to the Supervisor, which I've done, but not heard anything about yet. I hope something will come of it.. this has been going on for far too long.

Old 12-21-2021, 05:11 PM

20,049 posts, read 13,516,887 times
Quote:
I later played recordings for the manager who had spoken to the supervisor regarding, who wants the manager to hear the audio noise herself, then will act upon. It was suggested to email my recordings to the Supervisor, which I've done, but not heard anything about yet. I hope something will come of it.. this has been going on for far too long.
Most people are conflict-averse and a landlord has every incentive to not get in the middle of the problem. In an apartment complex there's always going to be an asshat who is a bad neighbor, and specific cases of tenant turnover don't usually come with a big label on it that says "driven out by the idiot in 4C that you wouldn't evict". So ... they do what most people do, they look the other way until the problem solves itself or fades away.

Also, the rent checks are all just as good from happy and unhappy tenants.

So IDK. Last time I lived in an apartment (27 years ago now) I had a lead-footed person just above us who probably didn't realize how noisy they were, clod-hopping around after work, right when I wanted to get to sleep. The building was concrete construction which has an odd, amplifying resonance for that sort of thing, too. I didn't even bother to deal with it. Partly because it seemed futile -- it wasn't like they were having wild parties or selling drugs -- and partly because it was finite; I knew I was only going to be there a year.

Old 12-23-2021, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Most people are conflict-averse and a landlord has every incentive to not get in the middle of the problem. In an apartment complex there's always going to be an asshat who is a bad neighbor, and specific cases of tenant turnover don't usually come with a big label on it that says "driven out by the idiot in 4C that you wouldn't evict". So ... they do what most people do, they look the other way until the problem solves itself or fades away.

Also, the rent checks are all just as good from happy and unhappy tenants.

So IDK. Last time I lived in an apartment (27 years ago now) I had a lead-footed person just above us who probably didn't realize how noisy they were, clod-hopping around after work, right when I wanted to get to sleep. The building was concrete construction which has an odd, amplifying resonance for that sort of thing, too. I didn't even bother to deal with it. Partly because it seemed futile -- it wasn't like they were having wild parties or selling drugs -- and partly because it was finite; I knew I was only going to be there a year.
Thanks. I wish it were that simple. Partly the problem is that, he knows that he is creating disruption and doesn't care, unlike another who may alter their behavior. He is a childish brat, though in his sixties.

Partly the agony is having to cope with this problematic personality with little separating us (having had others up there prior whom could barely be heard). If one would hear my recent recordings of, it would be known how violent he is capable of being. This is why I brought this up in regards to psychology, being a real problem.

Yes, it seems that money is all that matters to property owners. One really has no choice but to move in this case. If I were able to rent just anywhere, I would have. It's very pricey here and there is too much unavailability for lower-rent housing. I have said, if I did move, it would not be long before the following tenant would find out how bad it is also, the guy likely being kicked out.

Last edited by In2itive_1; 12-23-2021 at 12:29 AM..

Old 12-23-2021, 07:44 AM

20,049 posts, read 13,516,887 times
Quote:
Thanks. I wish it were that simple. Partly the problem is that, he knows that he is creating disruption and doesn't care, unlike another who may alter their behavior. He is a childish brat, though in his sixties.

Partly the agony is having to cope with this problematic personality with little separating us (having had others up there prior whom could barely be heard). If one would hear my recent recordings of, it would be known how violent he is capable of being. This is why I brought this up in regards to psychology, being a real problem.

Yes, it seems that money is all that matters to property owners. One really has no choice but to move in this case. If I were able to rent just anywhere, I would have. It's very pricey here and there is too much unavailability for lower-rent housing. I have said, if I did move, it would not be long before the following tenant would find out how bad it is also, the guy likely being kicked out.
I hear you. People don't always have the choice or flexibility or finances (or energy!) to Just Move. And if you have children there is the school district as a limiting or problematic factor as well.

I wish you the best in working this out. I wish I had a silver bullet to suggest.

Old 12-25-2021, 12:39 AM

1,014 posts, read 480,921 times
CRT. Is this a psychological issue? Sure it damages the frontal lobe of the brain. And it affects your motor senses. It also affects your speech. But can they say that this is a psychological problem instead. And not physical if someone overcomes CRT. Athletes goes through this. Football players. High school to NFL. Can they say this of CRT. Overcoming it in the psychological sense. And not physical. I know this sounds odd. But it's true of some or many athletes. They are not rich as they say or the media says they are. It's a show and they are limited and have no pay. I hardly think that Terry Bradshaw former QB for the stealers makes any money.

Old 12-25-2021, 09:58 AM

9,902 posts, read 4,666,395 times
Quote:

Did your recordings capture both stomping and bass. I had to download some free studio apps and buy a professional microphone just to capture bass sounds. The thuds are tough being low frequency although I can get them on sound detector apps. Also found that a wireless speaker with bass boost helps reproduce recorded noise better. I have been documenting as well. I keep paper and pen handy at all times just for them.

They acted up this morning early after another all night gaming session( when they attempt to control it a grinding rumble sound is always in background) mingled with periods of thuds and thumps. When the stompers realize I'm in a certain area they purposely stomp the floor near me(3 stomps in a row isn't heavy stepping or game play). They did that for over an hour this am.

Calling the police took bravery but you sound like you know what you are getting into. I'd keep an extra eye on your car and make sure you know when delivered packages are coming. Hopefully it's a just a behavior problem and no one with criminal tendancies. There are some cheap security cameras out there as well if it gets too bad.

STAY SAFE, GOOD LUCK!

Old 12-25-2021, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
Did your recordings capture both stomping and bass. I had to download some free studio apps and buy a professional microphone just to capture bass sounds. The thuds are tough being low frequency although I can get them on sound detector apps. Also found that a wireless speaker with bass boost helps reproduce recorded noise better. I have been documenting as well. I keep paper and pen handy at all times just for them.

They acted up this morning early after another all night gaming session( when they attempt to control it a grinding rumble sound is always in background) mingled with periods of thuds and thumps. When the stompers realize I'm in a certain area they purposely stomp the floor near me(3 stomps in a row isn't heavy stepping or game play). They did that for over an hour this am.

Calling the police took bravery but you sound like you know what you are getting into. I'd keep an extra eye on your car and make sure you know when delivered packages are coming. Hopefully it's a just a behavior problem and no one with criminal tendancies. There are some cheap security cameras out there as well if it gets too bad.

STAY SAFE, GOOD LUCK!
Thanks for your response and information. Yes, it can be miserable and sounds like you are experiencing your own HELL due to those inconsiderate idiots. This is why I began this subject in psychology rather than elsewhere, since it involves those with mental issues. Emotionally-balanced, considerate individuals will not do such things.

Yes, I will wonder about my car, which is parked in an open, tenant parking lot, with others able to view, however, if late at night, who knows. I feel he has caused some spots with liquid, drying on my car, since it is unusual. I've also had unusual spots made on my doormat a few times, which never occurred prior to his being here, so I think he did so - again, after hours. I recently bought a new doormat after some odd occurrence, that looked like Comet cleanser or powdered bleach was sprinkled all over it, remaining after trying to wash it off.

As for recording, yes it is difficult, since I do not have expensive equipment and so much won't record, being said to have, as you have described. I will hear repeated thuds, thundering, rumbling as you say. I believe he has a Subwoofer which the apartment manager doesn't comprehend about, once saying that he "had a little box on his floor".

I was lucky that I was able to record his belligerent activity after the cops left, including music that he'd turned up. Luckily, when they stood at my door afterwards, they had heard the beginning of his rampage. (He is apparently an alcoholic, besides). The police will not enter an apartment. It's lousy to not have this stuff witnessed, as appropriate, respectful tenants try to live their lives. I will hopefully know soon what the management co. supervisor will determine after hearing my sound clips.

Thank you - stay safe and good luck, yourself.

Old 05-28-2022, 03:56 AM

I just returned to see this again, and sad to say, it has been 5 months since last posting. That last incident I described really had no impact, yet should have. I’m not sure if the Supervisor even bothered listening to the videos sent, feeling that it would have been impactful and revealing.

The Management Co. Supervisor stated days later, that the manager needs to “catch him in the act”, yet this is very difficult, normally being after midnight. I don’t want to bother her then, and she likely does not want to be bothered. I have tried calling her and she will attempt calling him, which goes nowhere. Of course, his behavior has been ongoing, yet having witnessed when intermittent, is difficult.

If the manager happens to see him outdoors on his day off, he will lie, feign concern, but it all continues, as it had just yesterday. I don’t even know what he is doing, having a rumbling, thundering vibration upon my ceiling whenever he is home, playing video games…? The manager is not here at the right moments and things are handled weakly or improperly. I feel trapped.

I’m tired and it feels hopeless.. if I could simply just move It’s so stupid, since there is so much more to life, and others having more serious issues… yet, one cannot get on with their life if not sleeping, functioning.

* I tried posting a sample recording here from my device, but won’t allow. ((sigh)).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology