Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2022, 01:50 PM

6,312 posts, read 4,215,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Do you also wonder why Cajuns insist on talking the way they do, and people from Boston insist on talking the way they do?
Or heavens to Betsy one might quake hearing Hawaiian Pidgin
https://www.babbel.com/en/magazine/t...aiian-english/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2022, 02:32 PM

467 posts, read 779,174 times
I had a buddy that went to Australia for a year and came back with the accent and using their slang. It didn't make any of us cringe though, probably because none of us disliked Australians.

Old 08-21-2022, 02:33 PM

1,899 posts, read 859,898 times
why dont black folks start speaking white, maybe not white white, but business speech,

even snoop dog speak business speech at time, like blankly and shad

Old 08-21-2022, 02:42 PM

6,312 posts, read 4,215,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b29510 View Post
why dont black folks start speaking white, maybe not white white, but business speech,

even snoop dog speak business speech at time, like blankly and shad
which version of white are you referring to?

Old 08-21-2022, 02:59 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,614,357 times
Black culture is extremely influential on the youth. So it doesn't surprise me to hear if there are white people like that. I know tons of Hispanics like that.

Old 08-21-2022, 03:01 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,614,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAmericaGo View Post
I doubt that. I’m very conscious of my words and beyond say high school I’ve never tried to incorporate any slang or “cool” new words into my vocabulary. In fact I recently started making a list of words/phrases I hear that are rather annoying (not nessesarily words that have anything to do with “talking black”) due to overuse. For example:

- Living my/your best life
- bro
- keep it 100
- swag
- on God
- lit
- fire
- thirsty
- basic
- fam
- sus
- savage

They are especially annoying when 25+ yr old middle class white people use them thinking they are being hip or cute or “down” with black culture…or something. If they say them with an especially thick accent that sounds like they are someone like “Birdman” (a rapper) — that’s when things get in to the realm of unbelievable.
I'm pretty sure "bro" was actually a stereotypical white thing that eventually became common among black people too.

Old 08-21-2022, 03:03 PM

613 posts, read 1,020,194 times
My favorite American accents are the Southern ones, from Texas to Charleston. But my favorite of all is Madea's Atlanta.

This has nothing to do with Black or White speakers, but I think it's fascinating:

I read a little in wikipedia - and there are tons of articles - about American accents. Apparently, Southerners are pronouncing the words correctly - so many words and vowels from so many origins/languages. Meanwhile, Yanks like me who think they have NO accent have, over time, flattened (for lack of a better term) all the wonderful, various vowel sounds to where there are only one or two ways to pronounce a vowel or vowel combination. It's like digitized English; it took all the flavor out of it. Sorry about that.

Old 08-21-2022, 03:15 PM

6,576 posts, read 7,176,793 times
Quote:
Is it that easy to adjust an accent? Seems like it would take a lot of brain energy to monitor who you are around and make sure every word comes out with the proper accent. We had a few kids come down from up north and we thought their accent was hilarious…those kids didn’t try to adopt a lazy southern twang though.
My good friend would spend the school year in MN with his mom. Then he’d spend the summer with his dad in Kentucky and would always come back with a very noticeable southern drawl. It would slowly go away during school year.

Old 08-21-2022, 03:25 PM

8,735 posts, read 3,904,407 times
Quote:
White people that “talk black”
Quote:
I’m from a pretty mixed race city in the south — many poor blacks, Hispanics and whites.
An impoverished area will be less educated, as a whole, regardless of race; speech patterns are relative to a person’s circumstance or surroundings i.e. the need to fit in or adapt to one’s environment, particularly when necessary. Consider two extremes - a professional standard vs. prison.

Old 08-21-2022, 03:25 PM

1,655 posts, read 778,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
What are your thoughts about black people who "talk white"? Is that equally cringey for you? Or do see black dialect and slang as somehow inferior or undesirable? Why's that?
What is “talking white”? Pronouncing and spelling words the way they are meant to be said/spelled isn’t exclusive to any one race. Most of us do at least 12-13 years of schooling where that is in part a goal of teachers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology