Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2022, 03:26 PM

12,980 posts, read 13,724,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Do you also wonder why Cajuns insist on talking the way they do, and people from Boston insist on talking the way they do?
Where I grew up there were hardly any white people. I don't think I had a real conversation with a white person until I was about 21. Other black kids told me I talked white. Same with my mother and grandfather. Some families just correct their kids when they don't enunciate. I did it to my kids and it has opened a lot of doors for them. My siblings and I actually made fun of kids who use what goes for acceptable English today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2022, 03:31 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,190,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAmericaGo View Post
I doubt that. I’m very conscious of my words and beyond say high school I’ve never tried to incorporate any slang or “cool” new words into my vocabulary. In fact I recently started making a list of words/phrases I hear that are rather annoying (not nessesarily words that have anything to do with “talking black”) due to overuse. For example:

- Living my/your best life
- bro
- keep it 100
- swag
- on God
- lit
- fire
- thirsty
- basic
- fam
- sus
- savage

They are especially annoying when 25+ yr old middle class white people use them thinking they are being hip or cute or “down” with black culture…or something. If they say them with an especially thick accent that sounds like they are someone like “Birdman” (a rapper) — that’s when things get in to the realm of unbelievable.
My late mother was an English teacher and it often amazed me how upset she would get at "new" words creeping into the lexicon, as if we should all still be speaking Old English.

Language evolves and changes over time. I was a teenager in the late 60s and early 70s and I certainly don't say "let's rap" or "groovy" anymore. Phrases come and go, and are often used by young people to identify with a group.

I would try not to let it make you "cringe" so much. It may sounds foreign and pretentious to your ears but if people are successfully communicating among each other with it, it's serving its purpose for *them."

Old 08-21-2022, 03:35 PM

1,655 posts, read 781,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
My good friend would spend the school year in MN with his mom. Then he’d spend the summer with his dad in Kentucky and would always come back with a very noticeable southern drawl. It would slowly go away during school year.
I think there’s a difference between picking up a bit of an accent and picking up a heavy accent combined with an almost totally different vocabulary/way of spelling words. When the new accent and vocabulary is combined with a new style of dressing it just seems like a person trying to find identity and acceptance. At some point in adulthood changing myself on such a personal level to find acceptance just became something I couldn’t allow myself to do.

Old 08-21-2022, 03:50 PM

6,601 posts, read 7,216,745 times
Quote:
I think there’s a difference between picking up a bit of an accent and picking up a heavy accent combined with an almost totally different vocabulary/way of spelling words. When the new accent and vocabulary is combined with a new style of dressing it just seems like a person trying to find identity and acceptance. At some point in adulthood changing myself on such a personal level to find acceptance just became something I couldn’t allow myself to do.
It wasn’t a full on accent, but it was easy for me to pick up. After high school he went to college in KY and lives in Asheville, so doesn’t jump between anymore.

Old 08-21-2022, 04:51 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,595,636 times
Quote:
Absolutely there’s not. However there is a pretty predominate way of talking in many if not most areas with a high concentration of working class/poor blacks. Anyone that lives in a major metro that’s 30-40%+ black will know what I’m talking about.
Yes. I think this applies more to the south and low income mid-west cities.

In L.A. San Diego, NYC, San Fran, Phx, Denver etc. you cannot always tell what race you're speaking with and I'm on the phone a lot. I only know once I see their id's or if the conversation gets pretty long. I can tell a white Chicago or NY accent pretty easy. Comedians pick up on that stuff too.

In Cali, even in certain low income areas there is not a predominate way to talk because you can have a college degree and be underpaid and have to live among the working class who have 3-5 roommates.

Hip-hop/rap is as big as ever (not sure why) and is influencing younger people of all races to speak a certain way. Rap music was better back in the late 90s/early 2000s but that's a whole other topic.

Old 08-21-2022, 04:54 PM

6,314 posts, read 4,227,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancuriosity View Post
In terms of white people speaking "black," there's the great example of Hillary Clinton, perhaps to gain supporters or votes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FlpbRFXC9E
Dignitaries often use local phrases and colloquial terms in recognition of who they are addressing. Since I was in the uk at the time carter visited here is how people responded to an American President.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news...jimmy-12990951

Old 08-21-2022, 04:57 PM

6,246 posts, read 3,630,781 times
Quote:
I doubt that. I’m very conscious of my words and beyond say high school I’ve never tried to incorporate any slang or “cool” new words into my vocabulary. In fact I recently started making a list of words/phrases I hear that are rather annoying (not nessesarily words that have anything to do with “talking black”) due to overuse. For example:

- Living my/your best life
- bro
- keep it 100
- swag
- on God
- lit
- fire
- thirsty
- basic
- fam
- sus
- savage

They are especially annoying when 25+ yr old middle class white people use them thinking they are being hip or cute or “down” with black culture…or something. If they say them with an especially thick accent that sounds like they are someone like “Birdman” (a rapper) — that’s when things get in to the realm of unbelievable.
I'm pretty sure Oprah coined the phrase living your best life. She's black but this term is in no way cool/urban/hip/poor slang.

Old 08-21-2022, 05:08 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,219,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
I'm pretty sure "bro" was actually a stereotypical white thing that eventually became common among black people too.
Yeah, and alternative sounding "bruh" is probably even more common now.

Old 08-21-2022, 06:02 PM

1,655 posts, read 781,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Yeah, and alternative sounding "bruh" is probably even more common now.
Bro/brah/bruh likely started on the “misc” (bodybuilding website) — that’s where I first saw it being heavily used online.

Old 08-21-2022, 06:08 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,446,603 times
Trenton NJ area...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology