Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2023, 03:02 PM

2,571 posts, read 2,688,164 times

Advertisements

Is the dynamic of minority racial relationships taking a turn for the worse overall?

Do there tend to be invisiblish barriers of being marginalized based on race since the pandemic even moreso?

Being a nerd I've heard has become more of a fad for being sexy.
Is that the entire real truth, or does (more of) the real truth tend to be that the majority race of nerds tend to be attractive rather than all races?

Is the same true for being a "bear" in the lgbt community?

I think after the pandemic, more people have found ways to be emotionally more manipulative. As I get older, I seem to deal with these situations better but it makes me sad. I am forced to distance myself and observe people more for what they do or don't do and if they initiate certain things or not that would be natural for people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2023, 05:08 PM

7,077 posts, read 12,356,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
Is the dynamic of minority racial relationships taking a turn for the worse overall?

Do there tend to be invisiblish barriers of being marginalized based on race since the pandemic even moreso?
I'll preface my response by saying first that I am a 43 year old black male (you can click onto my username to see my "mugshot" LOL). With that said, it has been noted that in North America the hierarchy in online dating (when it comes to the highest percentages of Swipe approvals) goes to white males. Asian females are at the top for women with white females following. Some studies have found that white females are number 1, so it's a bit debatable when considering the source. Monitoring online dating tendencies is a good way to measure how people truly think and how people truly feel. People are not very politically correct when they're choosing a partner.

I am not sure if these tendencies have grown or lessened since the pandemic. What I am sure of is that for a guy, certain things matter far more than your ethnicity if you're able to get your story out there. I'm an African American male with strong Western African roots. I'm also a fan of music ranging from JayZ, to Whitney Houston, to U2, Led Zeppelin, and Black Sabbath. I'm agnostic with a Catholic school background. I've traveled the entire Nation many times over as a trucker. I also own a small trucking fleet to which I've been able to create a few home-daily jobs for younger truckers that pays them over $100k annually if they work hard enough. I'm a Star Trek nerd and an urban planning geek. I tend to believe that extraterrestrials visiting Earth is a real thing; and I will never be a drinker or a smoker.

Just off of that short bio alone, some will be interested in contacting me and many will run like hell. I doubt that in 2023 my ethnicity will be the only reason why some chose to run (the extraterrestrials and being agnostic is where I lose most people which is totally fine).

As a minority, it is very easy to assume that my minority status makes me less desirable to other ethnicities other than my own. Whether that perception is real or imagined, it has no place in the dating world because many women are simply looking for a decent guy whom they can share a life with. That's it!!! Be nice, be strange, and most importantly; BE YOU and someone will absolutely love you for it!!!

Old 02-12-2023, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I'll preface my response by saying first that I am a 43 year old black male (you can click onto my username to see my "mugshot" LOL). With that said, it has been noted that in North America the hierarchy in online dating (when it comes to the highest percentages of Swipe approvals) goes to white males. Asian females are at the top for women with white females following. Some studies have found that white females are number 1, so it's a bit debatable when considering the source. Monitoring online dating tendencies is a good way to measure how people truly think and how people truly feel. People are not very politically correct when they're choosing a partner.

I am not sure if these tendencies have grown or lessened since the pandemic. What I am sure of is that for a guy, certain things matter far more than your ethnicity if you're able to get your story out there. I'm an African American male with strong Western African roots. I'm also a fan of music ranging from JayZ, to Whitney Houston, to U2, Led Zeppelin, and Black Sabbath. I'm agnostic with a Catholic school background. I've traveled the entire Nation many times over as a trucker. I also own a small trucking fleet to which I've been able to create a few home-daily jobs for younger truckers that pays them over $100k annually if they work hard enough. I'm a Star Trek nerd and an urban planning geek. I tend to believe that extraterrestrials visiting Earth is a real thing; and I will never be a drinker or a smoker.

Just off of that short bio alone, some will be interested in contacting me and many will run like hell. I doubt that in 2023 my ethnicity will be the only reason why some chose to run (the extraterrestrials and being agnostic is where I lose most people which is totally fine).

As a minority, it is very easy to assume that my minority status makes me less desirable to other ethnicities other than my own. Whether that perception is real or imagined, it has no place in the dating world because many women are simply looking for a decent guy whom they can share a life with. That's it!!! Be nice, be strange, and most importantly; BE YOU and someone will absolutely love you for it!!!
If I was a straight woman, I'd personally be interested.
Thank you for sharing!

Old 02-12-2023, 05:47 PM

7,077 posts, read 12,356,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
If I was a straight woman, I'd personally be interested.
Thank you for sharing!
Lol, if I were unmarried, I'd be interested too LOL. Thanks!

Old 02-12-2023, 10:27 PM

6,884 posts, read 4,888,158 times
Quote:

You sound delightful. Maybe you could get a side gig writing profiles for others.

Old 02-13-2023, 09:48 AM

20,770 posts, read 19,995,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
You sound delightful. Maybe you could get a side gig writing profiles for others.
Right?? I would swipe right if I was single.

Old 02-15-2023, 09:16 AM

12,054 posts, read 8,443,775 times
Quote:
I'm glad you said this last part because I think it brings up a hidden complication to mixed relationships. And that is the apparent amount of second-guessing about what other people can be feeling/thinking about us. That exists in any new relationship, perhaps, but must be especially difficult in mixed relationships.

Recognizing the habit and freeing oneself from that focus seems like a mighty and healthy step toward clarity and open communication.

Old 02-16-2023, 07:26 AM

5,660 posts, read 3,167,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I'm glad you said this last part because I think it brings up a hidden complication to mixed relationships. And that is the apparent amount of second-guessing about what other people can be feeling/thinking about us. That exists in any new relationship, perhaps, but must be especially difficult in mixed relationships.

Recognizing the habit and freeing oneself from that focus seems like a mighty and healthy step toward clarity and open communication.
I think it's a LOT easier to be in a mixed race relationship these days. It started changing in the 70's (IMO) and by the 90's...mixed race relationships was fairly common. Well...maybe 'common' is overstating...but people don't stare or look twice at mixed race couples anymore.

IMO, prior to the 70's...those folks were the trail blazers. Brave folks.

IMO, the more pretty little brown babies, the better. People tend to want a better world for their kids and grandkids.

Old 02-16-2023, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
I think it's a LOT easier to be in a mixed race relationship these days. It started changing in the 70's (IMO) and by the 90's...mixed race relationships was fairly common. Well...maybe 'common' is overstating...but people don't stare or look twice at mixed race couples anymore.

IMO, the more pretty little brown babies, the better. People tend to want a better world for their kids and grandkids.
I think this is true overall. You have people that do not want to date within their own race, which I think is really, really weird.

Yeah, I get people have their preferences, but people consciously or unconsciously also take it to the point of if one is not attracted to the person, they are second class at best no matter how well they are all-around.

Old 02-17-2023, 09:18 AM

12,054 posts, read 8,443,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post

Yes, we are seeing that change and I hope it is a change that benefits us all.

But I believe in every relationship, usually early, people question, "Why exactly does this person want to be close to me?" And I don't believe that mixed relationships are any different.

I have heard people of color complain about being the token friend or token employee, so I know that they have had to tackle that question, "Do they like me for me or am I a symbol of their open-mindedness?"

Having lived through college in the 70's I believe that is being voiced more now than it was then, although I am sure that it existed and just went unspoken then. Because it's just such a painful thing to ask oneself.

Just as other people might ask, "Am I being dated for my celebrity, money, car, whatever," I think we are more race conscious today than we were then. And it's more positive race consciousness.

In fact we have been asked to be. There was a time when people who said, "I don't see race" were applauded for their impartiality. Now it is considered un-woke.

Snazzy, I'm not saying that mixed relationships don't work. I see them work and I see that people want them. I'm talking about the inner and outer questions that must be resolved first.

I can't believe that many POC don't question whether something happens to them because of the color of their skin and that that might make their lives more difficult.

It's not a criticism but an effort at understanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology