Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2024, 07:57 PM

13,796 posts, read 8,032,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Not sure where to put this and this post is not about the news. It is the effect the news, the images, that are having on us.

How are you coping with this?
To be honest I don't think a lot about it. But how do I cope with grief in general?

When my uncle told me he had cancer and would be dead within six months I cried. But I was able to see him several times before he passed away.

When my mother fell ill on a Friday and died the following Monday I cried. I was very sad esp. when my mother suddenly passed away. Not much you can do.

I was never close to my father. In fact, I hated him growing up. When he died over 30 years ago, I immediately got drunk (was drinking then) but I never cried.

Last edited by john3232; 02-03-2024 at 08:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2024, 09:30 PM

8,703 posts, read 3,886,834 times
Quote:
Donating to causes and volunteering for community service is also a feel good move for our own self, which we do nevertheless, knowing my donations to the food bank and shelters is a pittance compared the great need.
Point being, no one can solve the world’s problems on their own; by comparison, what good does being overwhelmed by it or crying in your car do? Action relative to compassion is for the benefit of others; that we may feel good about doing so does not negate such; in fact, it encourages us to do more - not less.

Quote:
It weighs heavily on me, I was moaning and crying and had to stop my car.
Quote:
My religion tells me the world is unreal, and what is real is within, the only reality, the only truth.
Moaning and crying in your car is real; the reality is you need to think in terms of your psychological health, per the forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology