Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2024, 05:26 AM

4,143 posts, read 3,060,186 times

Advertisements

The first time I shopped at Aldi, I thought I had to pay a quarter in order to use a shopping cart. It wasn't until I returned the cart that I realized I got my quarter back. That made me feel much better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2024, 08:32 AM

24,595 posts, read 10,909,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I wasn’t sure where to put this, but I’m wondering if ALDIs is a kind of social experiment.

I just got back from ALDIs. If you shop there, you know that it takes a quarter to release a cart, and when you return it you get a quarter back.

Almost every time I go, someone who has just unloaded their cart, gives it to me instead of going to get their quarter back. I offer them a quarter, but they say no. I’m wondering if other ALDIs are like that, or if it’s a Georgia thing?

This led me to wonder if it’s ALDIs way of fostering a sense of community.
In Europe you can get little plastic coins which attach to a key fob.

Old 01-29-2024, 05:04 PM

994 posts, read 538,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Right, it's a European thing, but the fee is usually much more than a quarter, more like $1.50 in those stores I've been to. And you'll definitely make an effort to get your coin back, and not just hand the cart over to the next customer. Not so much community spirit there!

It does feel a bit like being back in Europe, walking into an Aldi. Nobody bags your groceries there, either!
Nobody bags your groceries in my Walmart. In fact, nobody does anything. They're really good at hiding, and can see a customer who wants to ask a question from 100 yards away. If you have to look down another isle while walking towards them they've disappeared.

Old 01-30-2024, 09:12 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
There is no ethos it simply means that thoughtful people, once they shop there will often do the trade with another customer for their empty cart, and hand the quarter to someone - who in many instances pays it forward. I'd say it is common practice at most stores simply because frequent Aldi shoppers realize it makes logistical sense: time / energy/ inputting in holding area.

However, one of the Aldi near me also has a nearby transit station, which tends to get vagrants to stand by the cart corral trying to accumulate quarters for their bus ride. I don't mind it per se, but it can be a hassle as they 'pretend' to be helping and get in the way as the entry's (corner) and cart storage corrals (flanking the entry corner) is constrained.

Also, another dilemma that inconsiderate customers have done a few times is, rather than walking another extra 50 feet decide to push their cart to the enclosed low wall corral area, they then leave it, outside on other side or end of designated cart storage area, which at times has caused others to do so, creating a whole chain of a dozen or more carts on the wrong side of the holding corral. A few times I have helped an employee fix the situation as the mini 'cart train' then becomes a traffic hazard based on its tendency to snake toward the parking.

The issue is Aldi has a small footprint for the real estate parcel (if free standing) as well as their store to optimize real estate, and at times in poor parcel access situations, it can be a real pain. Especially, when the delivery semi's need to get to the loading area. In good weather months I will often times park in the rarely used adjacent business' parking lot and walk over the small median grass to get to Aldi and avoid the parking lot sitation altogether.

It usually works fine as I will carry about 3 bags and avoid using the cart unless I have something very heavy or difficult to manage and need the cart. In general (NE Ohio), over half the people will try to optimize time during busiest hours by doing the cart trade. I like Aldi set up because it allows mothers with children to give their children a participatory role in shopping which the children look forward too! During weekend times I see so many young children wanting to get the cart (quarter release). Makes me smile
I have noticed that their parking slots do not allow me to push a cart between cars to get to the next row. I must go around. This is by design, I’m sure. No one can leave their cart next to their car if someone is parked next to them.

Old 01-30-2024, 05:19 PM

22,597 posts, read 47,698,122 times
Quote:
I have noticed that their parking slots do not allow me to push a cart between cars to get to the next row. I must go around. This is by design, I’m sure. No one can leave their cart next to their car if someone is parked next to them.

??
I have not seen that at all.
ALDI does not shrink the spaces in front of their store to prevent the carts being abandoned.
The strip center spaces are uniform outside of the handicapped ones.

Old 01-30-2024, 09:24 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,684,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Seems to me they are deterring laziness and theft for the homeless to use, or kids to play in.
Try not to read to much into it.
Some kids and the homeless will try to get the quarter by asking you if they can take your cart back when you're done shopping. I get annoyed by this, but I like to keep my quarter even if it means I have to get a little exercise to put it back proper, lol.

Old 01-30-2024, 09:26 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,684,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I've never seen a cart left on the lot. I guess lazy people don't shop there.
I've heard of a small number of people who don't like Aldi because they are very particular about the brand and types of food they have, but they are waaayy too picky imo.

Also, I like Aldi, but I like Lidl more. I'm also surprised that Lidl doesn't do the cart quarter thing too.

Old 01-31-2024, 05:15 AM

8,051 posts, read 10,642,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
Nobody bags your groceries in my Walmart. In fact, nobody does anything. They're really good at hiding, and can see a customer who wants to ask a question from 100 yards away. If you have to look down another isle while walking towards them they've disappeared.
You're looking for quality customer service at Walmart?

Old 02-01-2024, 08:35 AM

15,864 posts, read 6,333,872 times
Quote:
I wasn’t sure where to put this, but I’m wondering if ALDIs is a kind of social experiment.

I just got back from ALDIs. If you shop there, you know that it takes a quarter to release a cart, and when you return it you get a quarter back.

Almost every time I go, someone who has just unloaded their cart, gives it to me instead of going to get their quarter back. I offer them a quarter, but they say no. I’m wondering if other ALDIs are like that, or if it’s a Georgia thing?

This led me to wonder if it’s ALDIs way of fostering a sense of community.
The Aldi's I go to is the same way. I have seen people handing out extra quarters. If I do end up paying for a cart I leave it for someone else.

Old 02-01-2024, 09:06 AM

5,766 posts, read 11,381,748 times
Even people who don't like to shop at Aldi benefit from having an Aldi in their area. Aldi prices for many everyday grocery items are lower than most other big markets, so that keeps other markets from raising their prices too high. Competition is a good thing in the grocery store business. Places with limited grocery store competition are often where prices are much higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology