Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2024, 12:27 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times

Advertisements

I wasn’t sure where to put this, but I’m wondering if ALDIs is a kind of social experiment.

I just got back from ALDIs. If you shop there, you know that it takes a quarter to release a cart, and when you return it you get a quarter back.

Almost every time I go, someone who has just unloaded their cart, gives it to me instead of going to get their quarter back. I offer them a quarter, but they say no. I’m wondering if other ALDIs are like that, or if it’s a Georgia thing?

This led me to wonder if it’s ALDIs way of fostering a sense of community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2024, 12:34 PM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times
It has been that way since ALDI has been around... no biggie and definitely NOT a GA thing.

The person offering you the buggy probably did not pay in the quarter either.

Old 01-26-2024, 01:50 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
That's what we do here, too. It's an inexpensive way to feel good about yourself, I suppose. And it does feel like a community thing.

I have noticed that people are more pleasant in public around here than before the pandemic.

Old 01-26-2024, 02:20 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
ALDI, my home store!!!

Born and raised in Germany, I always shopped at Aldi. Everywhere in Germany you have to put in money to get a cart. Therefore, they don't need to hire people to collect them all over the parking lot and no one steals them, even though $0.25 is not much!

When they had the first Aldi store in Oxnard, Southern Cali, people thought it costs a Quarter to borrow the cart. Lol. I probably got about $15 out of the returned ones in the first few months until people got smarter.

Old 01-26-2024, 02:38 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I wasn’t sure where to put this, but I’m wondering if ALDIs is a kind of social experiment.

I just got back from ALDIs. If you shop there, you know that it takes a quarter to release a cart, and when you return it you get a quarter back.

Almost every time I go, someone who has just unloaded their cart, gives it to me instead of going to get their quarter back. I offer them a quarter, but they say no. I’m wondering if other ALDIs are like that, or if it’s a Georgia thing?

This led me to wonder if it’s ALDIs way of fostering a sense of community.
That's not the only place that does the quarter thing. The No Frills chain in Canada does the same thing.

Old 01-26-2024, 03:21 PM

4,600 posts, read 6,359,230 times
It's a way to get lazy people to put carts where they belong, and it's also a cost savings passed on to shoppers....no employee chasing down and returning carts.
I never reclaim my quarter...

Old 01-26-2024, 04:05 PM

44,353 posts, read 20,056,503 times
It happens to me sometimes at both ALDIs in my town. I suspect it's unintentional on the part of ALDI, but a nice reassurance that there are still some kind people out there.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 01-26-2024, 04:54 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
It's a way to get lazy people to put carts where they belong, and it's also a cost savings passed on to shoppers....no employee chasing down and returning carts.
I never reclaim my quarter...
Yes, I get that, but that isn’t my point.

Old 01-26-2024, 05:20 PM

1,824 posts, read 800,633 times
First, I have to say that I WISH there was an Aldi near me, I would be so happy!

Second, I remember the shopping carts in the UK & continental Europe requiring a coin, & I think oh-eve & gemstone1 are correct.

Old 01-26-2024, 06:44 PM

9,121 posts, read 6,174,802 times
No Aldi or other European stores for me.

I never carry change.

I usually carry paper money.

But I always carry plastic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology