Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2024, 10:49 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I knew I was going to get that response,
It’s just an example
And I don’t see any reason for an adult to tell another adult how to eat

You sound a little defensive. In fact, you sound A LOT defensive. You're hyersensitive to being "bullied" or coerced and so probably overreact to fairly benign suggestions.

Old 02-04-2024, 10:51 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
For example, a few years ago I was eating at a restaurant with a relative and this relative tells me that I should put the napkin on my lap and that I should use one fork for salad and the other fork for the main meal.
I told my relative that I wasn’t going to do it and that I eat the way I want to it.
So you don't care to learn proper dining etiquette... that is not control, that is him trying to teach you some decorum.
Sad that you are not open to learning.

Old 02-04-2024, 11:07 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
So you don't care to learn proper dining etiquette... that is not control, that is him trying to teach you some decorum.
Sad that you are not open to learning.
OP sounds like a petulant two-year-old rebelling against authority.

Old 02-04-2024, 11:15 AM

2,035 posts, read 988,010 times
Quote:
Another example,
When I’m at a party and I tell people that I don’t want to drink
And they keep on trying to get me to drink when I made it clear that I don’t want to drink

I said no and I’m not going to do it.
That's a clearer example, thanks. Those sorts of people are immature and wrong to pressure you. Standing your ground, politely but firmly, is a good thing.

Old 02-04-2024, 11:47 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
For example, a few years ago I was eating at a restaurant with a relative and this relative tells me that I should put the napkin on my lap and that I should use one fork for salad and the other fork for the main meal.
I told my relative that I wasn’t going to do it and that I eat the way I want to it.
That's not got anything to do with resisting bullying, though. That's you just trying to prove you're "special" by making a big deal out of not comforming to societal norms.

What do you get out of making a to-do over showing that accepted table manners don't apply to you? Is that really a hill to choose to die on?

Old 02-04-2024, 12:04 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
That's a clearer example, thanks. Those sorts of people are immature and wrong to pressure you. Standing your ground, politely but firmly, is a good thing.
At least one person tried to see the point that I’m making
Instead of instantly trying to say that it is my fault

Old 02-04-2024, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
What do you get out of making a to-do over showing that accepted table manners don't apply to you? Is that really a hill to choose to die on?
Funny that you say that because 90% of the time I’m the only person eating “German style” (fork left hand, knife right hand)
But I never tell other people that they are supposed to eat “German style”

I also eat Asian food with chopsticks since I learned how to use them when I lived in Asia
I never tell anybody that they should use chopsticks or how to use them

Last edited by Dopo; 02-04-2024 at 12:34 PM..

Old 02-04-2024, 12:42 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,151,407 times
Quote:
I knew I was going to get that response,
It’s just an example
And I don’t see any reason for an adult to tell another adult how to eat
It would've been to your benefit to rakhi advice. He wasn't wrong and was trying to teach you proper etiquette.

Maybe you're too defensive. I get it...I think I get where you're coming from... but that attitude will hold you back.

Old 02-04-2024, 12:50 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Funny that you say that because 90% of the time I’m the only person eating “German style” (fork left hand, knife right hand)
But I never tell other people that they are supposed to eat “German style”

I also eat Asian food with chopsticks since I learned how to use them when I lived in Asia
I never tell anybody that they should use chopsticks or how to use them
Well, that's good. I agree that it's rude of your relative to point out your refusal to follow norms at the table, too. But my question was what do you gain by deliberately refusing to put the napkin in your lap or use a salad fork. It just seems childish and a bid for negative attention. Which I guess is exactly what you got.

Old 02-04-2024, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well, that's good. I agree that it's rude of your relative to point out your refusal to follow norms at the table, too. But my question was what do you gain by deliberately refusing to put the napkin in your lap or use a salad fork. It just seems childish and a bid for negative attention. Which I guess is exactly what you got.
So you are ok with somebody telling you how to hold your silverware when you are eating?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.