Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 06:55 PM

97 posts, read 172,807 times

Advertisements

I am confused about something...after considering other nearby areas, I am strongly considering a move to Rapid city area..one of a few areas I am considering (my budget does not allow me to live in most states with mountains and water so SD seems much more reasonable)...however, I have an acquaintance who lives nearby...hot springs...she says that the winters are not too bad...though, I am reading information that is conflicting..some I read say the winters are mild, other places and forums people say the winters, even in Rapid Hills, are like 6 months long and freezing. I would only consider the rapid city area of the black hills as the other cities way too small for me...is this true about the weather?? Not sure I can tolerate never ending winters...I thought the banana belt meant that the winters are more mild..or is it much different an hour away?? I also think Spearfish looks beautiful but I believe is even colder?

Also...I was reading that there is alot to do there and the music scene is also being revitilized and there are things to do in the way of nightlife, culture, festivals, etc etc....I needed clarity on this..i dont want to move somewhere where the only things to do are outdoors. especially if the winter is 6 months long.

Thanks.

Last edited by fromnewmexicotounknown; 11-28-2016 at 07:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 09:26 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,768,238 times
Winters range from mild to harsh. Hard to guess what Mother Nature will do. So far it has been very mild here and dry this year. Three years ago it was a six moth ordeal. From first part of October to the end of April there was snow. J

Spearfish receives more snow than Rapid City, again on average.

Old 11-29-2016, 12:46 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,281,411 times
The eastern part of the state tends to have a more unrelenting cold winter due to the fact it's not far enough east to benefit from low pressure systems that bring in warm air from the Gulf of Mexico, like they get in say Wisconsin or Michigan, but not far enough west to get chinook winds from the hills.. if you look at the topography (coteau des prairies) you'll see that the predominant wind direction in eastern South Dakota in the winter is from the NNW and this area has seen repeated glaciation... Brookings, Watertown, Aberdeen, are some of the coldest parts of the country besides in North Dakota.

Rapid City is variable... it will get cold spells from arctic clippers and warm spells when the wind comes from higher elevations to the west.. one day it could be 20 degrees and it might get into the 50's the next. It's not going to be super mild, easy street all winter long, but at least you get relief in spurts. In my opinion it's one of the best kept secret underrated climate types besides say living in Denver or anywhere in eastern Colorado.. aside from having legal marijuana the fact they are further south and have even larger mountains enhances this chinook effect and eastern Colorado can have some mild, dry winter days. Any snow that falls there will quickly evaporate away.

Another benefit to western South Dakota is the relative lack of mosquitoes and other bugs in the summer due to the less humid climate. Rapid has a great summer climate, though if you start going east say the badlands to Pierre it can get really hot.

I can't speak to the music scene because I don't live there... compared to where I grew up nowhere in South Dakota has a really good music scene, nightlife, culture, etc. but I don't need that stuff, and everything is relative in life anyways. Good luck in your search.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:59 AM

thank you...i grew up in NYC so yes, nowhere compares for culture and music

sounds like rapid city is not as bad as I thought...glad to know the snow melts quickly...i don't like the cold however I do like looking a "snow capped mountains" lol..in other words..if the area i was living in didnt get as much but a bit further north got tons of snow and you can see it on the mountains...that is how it is where i live now and i kinda like it

Old 11-29-2016, 09:01 AM

I'd also imagine because of the sun being so strong there, it does not feel as cold???? that is also the case where i live...i love sunshine...and the stronger the better

Old 11-29-2016, 09:33 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,281,411 times
The sun is not particularly strong in the winter here. The chinook winds have more an effect on the temps... the autumn, winter, and spring in Rapid are much more pleasant than in Sioux Falls, there's no comparison. It will still get cold. The forecast I'm looking at show's no 50's at all the next 7+ days. The jetstream has capped off the chinook warming effect for now though 40's still isn't terrible for this time of year.

Last edited by sholomar; 11-29-2016 at 09:41 AM..

Old 12-02-2016, 01:36 PM

thank you...i appreciate it...ig uess its hard to know how cold it gets till u get there..

Old 12-04-2016, 07:30 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,554,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromnewmexicotounknown View Post
thank you...i appreciate it...ig uess its hard to know how cold it gets till u get there..
It can be a crapshoot. I moved to Rapid in the middle of February, on a 70 degree day. Good luck! LOL

Old 12-05-2016, 11:47 AM

thank u...i can't seem to get enough information to determine if this a good match..

i understand the winters may be a bit variable but in a usual year..may i ask..how long DO the winters last???? are we talking about 4-6 months of snow and blizzards????

Old 12-05-2016, 12:55 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,301,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromnewmexicotounknown View Post
thank u...i can't seem to get enough information to determine if this a good match..

i understand the winters may be a bit variable but in a usual year..may i ask..how long DO the winters last???? are we talking about 4-6 months of snow and blizzards????
I would suggest trying it our for a year or so to see if you like it. You won't know from "reading" about it. It doesn't have a big city feel at all. It's more of a west feel..and the scenery is nice, but I think there's more to life than scenery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City