Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 06:21 PM

43,367 posts, read 77,271,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotix View Post
Anyone here know how to read??!! OP asked for gift suggestions for their agent, NOT for opinions if they should or should not give them a gift.

I am not an agent, but I don't see where anyone is advocating for gifts, get real.
Meh...

It's just some kids having fun on Saturday night...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 10:44 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,678,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
I have been following this thread with some interest as I am in the process of buying a new home. I have to say that I am shocked that some realtors on this forum are advocating for gifts! I had thought of writing a nice comment card for my realtor to their boss. In my transaction, my agents will make about 10K-- I didn't think that it was necessary to offer any gifts or tips above that as it seems more than fair compensation for the amount of effort expended, but a lot of realtors on here seem to want more..??? Is this what is being done now? I have to say that though my buyer's agent did a great job and I would happily recommend them, I had thought an additional gift sort of gauche and unessecary.

They took me to a property I already found on Redfin...is that worth a gift? This is all new to me...
NO! The realtors on this forum are NOT "advocating for gifts". They are saying that it is very nice of the OP to want to express her thanks, and are answering her question as to what kind of gifts most agents appreciate.

If you will notice, many of the respondents said that simply writing a sincere thank you and leaving good public reviews, as well as referrals, is thanks enough. And that is the truth. They've done their job, they've been compensated -- it's all good. Small gifts, such as flowers, candy, a modest dinner or Starbucks card, etc. are NEVER expected by agents, but they are pleasantly surprised when they do come their way -- I mean, who isn't delighted to receive a small "attaboy!" gift? But in no way are they expected.

When my father was in the hospital for an extended period, we got ten $5 Starbuck cards one week and left them at the ward desk as a thank you to the nurses and techs. Another week, we left a pizza delivery gift card for them to order in lunch or dinner. Did we "owe" them anything? No. But we wanted to express our appreciation. We also wrote the hospital to thank two nurses in particular for their care and for going the extra mile on several issues. The point is -- there's nothing wrong with expressing your appreciation, but part of the charm is that it is a small, unexpected pleasure.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:46 PM

15,594 posts, read 40,497,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
I have been following this thread with some interest as I am in the process of buying a new home. I have to say that I am shocked that some realtors on this forum are advocating for gifts! I had thought of writing a nice comment card for my realtor to their boss. In my transaction, my agents will make about 10K-- I didn't think that it was necessary to offer any gifts or tips above that as it seems more than fair compensation for the amount of effort expended, but a lot of realtors on here seem to want more..??? Is this what is being done now? I have to say that though my buyer's agent did a great job and I would happily recommend them, I had thought an additional gift sort of gauche and unessecary.

They took me to a property I already found on Redfin...is that worth a gift? This is all new to me...
Not at all. You don't feel the need to give a gift because you feel that agent was more than adequately compensated for the service you received. That is totally fine and normal. The OP WANTS to give a gift and asked for suggestions. That is totally fine and normal. Why is that hard for people to understand that this thread is driven by the OP's desire to express gratitude? This has nothing to do with agents expecting a gift.

No agent is begging for gifts on here. You can reread the OP's question and see if they are requesting opinions on whether it is appropriate or not. We were just respectful enough to the OP to answer the question without judgements.

I know several people like the OP and it gives them joy to do nice things for other people, even when it isn't customary or expected. You aren't the OP and the OP isn't you. You do your thing. Let the OP do their thing.

Old 12-22-2013, 01:02 PM

799 posts, read 1,551,428 times
Sorry to all the realtors on here BUT...

I think you are more than fairly compensated for the amount of work you typically do. I know the OP asked what she should get, not IF she should get anything, but I am stunned that the response from the realtor community is so vehement. Do you just not feel appreciated with those large commissions and bonuses? Do you really need the extra recognition that your efforts have been worthwhile?

Seriously this profession, as evidenced by the respondents here, seems to suffer from a serious complex.

Old 12-22-2013, 01:09 PM

799 posts, read 1,551,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
When my father was in the hospital for an extended period, we got ten $5 Starbuck cards one week and left them at the ward desk as a thank you to the nurses and techs. Another week, we left a pizza delivery gift card for them to order in lunch or dinner. Did we "owe" them anything? No. But we wanted to express our appreciation. We also wrote the hospital to thank two nurses in particular for their care and for going the extra mile on several issues. The point is -- there's nothing wrong with expressing your appreciation, but part of the charm is that it is a small, unexpected pleasure.
These professions deserve gifts and tokens of appreciation. They work hard long hours in difficult conditions. They care for the ill, scared and hopeless. They are calm in emergencies and they comfort the dying. They burn out easily and there is a shortage of individuals who are able to do this job. Some are well compensated, others are not.

Realtors take clients to houses or work with people who have properties for sale. They sit in a car or in an office. They explain paperwork, contracts and make phone calls. And at the end of it, they often get a big check, though their commission can depend on how well they deal with people. Many buyers choose not to use realtors because these days, you can find all the listings on your own online.

Have we really become a culture that values these two skill sets equally???

Old 12-22-2013, 01:20 PM

8,577 posts, read 12,448,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisthedealwith View Post
I am done here.
Promises, promises. That was post #33. You long ago made your point...and yet you persist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisthedealwith View Post
I know the OP asked what she should get, not IF she should get anything, but I am stunned that the response from the realtor community is so vehement. Do you just not feel appreciated with those large commissions and bonuses?
Perhaps your reading comprehension is different than others, but I didn't see any reply which was vehement. Heck, everyone acknowledged that a gift wasn't even necessary. As for me, if my buyers walk away happy with their deal that's gift enough for me.

Please quit highjacking threads.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:00 PM

Q: Have we become a culture that values trolling on the internet or hijacking forum threads to disrupt as highly as we value dazed and confused drooling?

A: Nope.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Promises, promises. That was post #33. You long ago made your point...and yet you persist.

Perhaps your reading comprehension is different than others, but I didn't see any reply which was vehement. Heck, everyone acknowledged that a gift wasn't even necessary. As for me, if my buyers walk away happy with their deal that's gift enough for me.

Please quit highjacking threads.
Jack,

I don't see any issue with "reading comprehension" so far.
To do so, one would have to establish or assume that the poster bothered to read anything in the thread with any attempt to comprehend.

So far, in light of the body of work offered, there is no evidence whatsoever to support such an assumption.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:50 PM

8,577 posts, read 12,448,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I don't see any issue with "reading comprehension" so far.
To do so, one would have to establish or assume that the poster bothered to read anything in the thread with any attempt to comprehend.
Well, of course, that's true. In the spirit of the holiday season I was just trying to be nice. Maybe the troll could ask for a heart for Christmas.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Well, of course, that's true. In the spirit of the holiday season I was just trying to be nice. Maybe the troll could ask for a heart for Christmas.
Maybe a customer would gift him one?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals