Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2021, 06:52 AM

6,030 posts, read 3,749,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
And, we again may get into seller subagency, where the agent's function is to extract from the buyer price and terms which will most benefit the sellers, along with no expectation of any level of confidentiality for the buyers' personal or business information. The agent owes allegiance only to the seller.
That may look great on paper, but in reality we all know who the sales person is working for... HIMSELF! The salesman wants a commission. To hell with holding out for the best deal for the seller if that means possibly jeopardizing a commission.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2021, 07:05 AM

14,485 posts, read 20,671,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
That may look great on paper, but in reality we all know who the sales person is working for... HIMSELF! The salesman wants a commission. To hell with holding out for the best deal for the seller if that means possibly jeopardizing a commission.
What about the buyer's agent?
Buyers want the lowest price and sellers want the highest price. Buyer agent commission hangs in the balance based on sale price.

Last edited by howard555; 11-18-2021 at 07:38 AM..

Old 11-18-2021, 07:18 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,995,719 times
Quote:
I know it will surprise you, because you don't think this way, but I want a happy customer more than anything. If someone pays an extra 10k or whatever, that's generally peanuts at 2.5 or 3%. If that person refers a future client, it's gold. Yes, I do want a commission, but I get a commission when my buyer purchases a home whether it's home A, B, C, or D.

That being said, sometimes we have to protect people from themselves and their emotions, and remind them about the big picture. An example of that is someone willing to walk away from a 300,000 house over a $100 repair.

Listing side, we are reactive by nature. We have to wait on an offer and all we can do is try and get the best deal we can from the buyer. But ultimately, regardless of how we advise, the decision always remains with the consumer.

Anyway, just because you'd shaft your client for an extra $300 doesn't mean all agents would.

Old 11-18-2021, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
What about the buyer's agent?
Buyers want the lowest price and sellers want the highest price. Buyer agent commission hangs in the balance based on sale price.
BOTH agents' commission hangs on the making of a deal. It doesn't matter which side they represent, they're both looking for that commission check. The actual price is largely irrelevant to both agents. They just want a DEAL!

Old 11-18-2021, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
I know it will surprise you, because you don't think this way, but I want a happy customer more than anything. If someone pays an extra 10k or whatever, that's generally peanuts at 2.5 or 3%. If that person refers a future client, it's gold. Yes, I do want a commission, but I get a commission when my buyer purchases a home whether it's home A, B, C, or D.

That being said, sometimes we have to protect people from themselves and their emotions, and remind them about the big picture. An example of that is someone willing to walk away from a 300,000 house over a $100 repair.

Listing side, we are reactive by nature. We have to wait on an offer and all we can do is try and get the best deal we can from the buyer. But ultimately, regardless of how we advise, the decision always remains with the consumer.

Anyway, just because you'd shaft your client for an extra $300 doesn't mean all agents would.
Are you under the impression that I'm a real estate agent???? LOL! That's the funniest one I've heard in a long time.

I actually agree with most of what you said in your post. In fact, you're making my point for me. An extra $10k or $20k in selling price means nothing to the agent. Getting both sides to agree to a deal (which means a commission check) is what each agent is concerned with regardless which party they represent.

Old 11-18-2021, 08:18 AM

Quote:
BOTH agents' commission hangs on the making of a deal. It doesn't matter which side they represent, they're both looking for that commission check. The actual price is largely irrelevant to both agents. They just want a DEAL!
A few months ago a listing reaches my mail box so I ride by just to take a visual look. There were people there. When the couple left (obvious buyer) no one there but me and the agent who showed them. I was told it's ok for me to do a walk through. I did. We talked and though the asking was $95K this agent told me with no hesitation that it will go for $110-$115. I had to use their opinion on price to think about an offer I might make. It sold for $102.

Old 11-18-2021, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
A few months ago a listing reaches my mail box so I ride by just to take a visual look. There were people there. When the couple left (obvious buyer) no one there but me and the agent who showed them. I was told it's ok for me to do a walk through. I did. We talked and though the asking was $95K this agent told me with no hesitation that it will go for $110-$115. I had to use their opinion on price to think about an offer I might make. It sold for $102.
I'm not sure what your point is. For the past 12 to 15 months, it doesn't take a genius to predict the selling price of a house is going to be a little higher than the asking price. In some markets, it may be considerably higher than the asking price, but again, that doesn't take an expert to predict.

But it's also worth noting that today's residential real estate market bears little resemblance to the market that has existed for the past 50 years as far as selling price and buying frenzy are concerned. The late 70's were the closest time that even remotely resembled today's market, and we all know (or should know) what happened after that. Interest rates went through the roof in 1980 and 1981. History may not always repeat itself, but it often rhymes.

Old 11-18-2021, 08:53 AM

If I had believed their opinion on price I'd likely offered near the 110-115. On these low priced houses the difference in price may not mean anything to the agents but it can to the buyers. $275K house yes $10K doesn't mean much to buyer or seller or agents.

Old 11-18-2021, 10:30 AM

43,315 posts, read 77,165,481 times
Quote:
Eh.
Posts like this typically reflect the posters' values as much as agency dynamics.

Old 11-18-2021, 12:08 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,995,719 times
Quote:
Are you under the impression that I'm a real estate agent???? LOL! That's the funniest one I've heard in a long time.

I actually agree with most of what you said in your post. In fact, you're making my point for me. An extra $10k or $20k in selling price means nothing to the agent. Getting both sides to agree to a deal (which means a commission check) is what each agent is concerned with regardless which party they represent.
LOL...you're funny. I know know know you aren't an agent. You don't like agents but you do like to troll agents.

You aren't wrong that we want a closing but you conveniently ignore that we want a happy client, and the client makes decisions, not the agent. Also convenient that you ignore the important part of my post and cherry pick something slightly out of context based on the entirety of the post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals