Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2023, 10:46 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,499,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
But....
There are a great many licensees who are members of NAR, NCREALTORS, etc, with no intention of working in brokerage or sales.
That number is unknown, but certainly exists among those 55,000.

I'm a FL Lic Real Estate Broker and a Realtor member, but my primary, nearly-sole focus is residential property management. The only time I'll do a sales listing is if it's a current landlord client's property and I actually want to spend the extra time on it VS referring it out. The one listing I have right now is tenant-occupied until July 2024, so the sale is subject to the lease. I have the balance of protecting the tenant's right to quiet use and enjoyment of the property and the seller's legal right to have the property shown to prospective buyers. I can't trust another real estate licensee to do that, since their motivation would be quite different. LOL

Last edited by EricBoyd; 12-18-2023 at 11:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2023, 12:09 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,894,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
All three of those professions rank high on my list of the most soulless, greedy money-grubbing whores that walk amongst us (whatever the gender).
That's why I added used car dealers and lawyers to the mix. LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Are saying every agent/ broker is a Realtor? Not everyone is a Realtor.
The word Realtor (often pronounced realitor) has become generic like brand names such as:

Kleenex
Q-Tips
Scotch Tape
Velcro
Bandaids
Dumpster
Xerox
Postits
Formica
Stetson
Google

Old 12-18-2023, 08:48 PM

17,708 posts, read 29,804,344 times
Too many

Old 12-19-2023, 05:13 AM

43,269 posts, read 77,073,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBoyd View Post
I'm a FL Lic Real Estate Broker and a Realtor member, but my primary, nearly-sole focus is residential property management. The only time I'll do a sales listing is if it's a current landlord client's property and I actually want to spend the extra time on it VS referring it out. The one listing I have right now is tenant-occupied until July 2024, so the sale is subject to the lease. I have the balance of protecting the tenant's right to quiet use and enjoyment of the property and the seller's legal right to have the property shown to prospective buyers. I can't trust another real estate licensee to do that, since their motivation would be quite different. LOL

Right. My oversight.
In most states, a real estate license is required to manage rentals for a client.
Plenty of property managers don't do sales.

Many are REALTORS, while some are not. Often depending whether they want MLS access.

Old 12-19-2023, 05:54 AM

10,300 posts, read 6,818,131 times
There's millions of 'em. You can't hardly sneeze, without knocking one down.

Old 12-19-2023, 07:05 AM

4,511 posts, read 2,656,277 times
Well, we seem to be getting caught on the horns of whether one is a ”Realtor” with capitalized first letter, implying a member of the industry organization, or a ”realtor” without capitalized first letter, simply implying someone who has a current real estate sales license.

I do believe that the term ”realtor” (not TM) pre-existed the term ”Realtor (TM)”, since I've been hearing people mispronounce ”realator” at least since the 1960s and this new capitalized ”Realtor (TM)” designation seems to be something of the last 10 years. But I could be wrong about that.

Old 12-19-2023, 08:05 AM

43,269 posts, read 77,073,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Well, we seem to be getting caught on the horns of whether one is a ”Realtor” with capitalized first letter, implying a member of the industry organization, or a ”realtor” without capitalized first letter, simply implying someone who has a current real estate sales license.

I do believe that the term ”realtor” (not TM) pre-existed the term ”Realtor (TM)”, since I've been hearing people mispronounce ”realator” at least since the 1960s and this new capitalized ”Realtor (TM)” designation seems to be something of the last 10 years. But I could be wrong about that.

Well, not exactly. See below.
With the contention of current lawsuits, it is wise to separate real estate licensees from members of the trade group National Association of REALTORS.
All NAR members are licensed, but all licensees are NOT NAR members. One should not assume the latter.

We have a few contributors here who are licensees, and proudly NOT members of NAR, i.e., not REALTORS or realtors, or realators or realitors.
I am licensed but no longer a REALTOR. I'm not one of the Proud Non-Members. I just decided to quit paying dues when I went into retirement. "Burnt the ships," and all that rot...
Legally, I can broker transactions as a dual agent, a buyers agent, a listing agent, can work as a property manager, can collect referral fees, etc.
What I cannot do is access a REALTOR-Owned MLS, use NCREALTORS standard forms or updates thereto, or access NCREALTORS additional services such as newsletters, input from the NCREALTORS legal team, and various other significant benefits offered by NAR, NCREALTORS, or my local Board of REALTORS.
Eh. Just hanging out waiting for my license to expire.

"In 1916, the National Association of Real Estate Exchange's name was changed to The National Association of Real Estate Boards (NAREB). That same year, the term “REALTOR,” identifying real estate professionals who are members of the National Association and subscribers to its strict Code of Ethics, was devised by Charles N. Chadbourn, a past president of the Minneapolis Real Estate Board."

"The collective marks REALTORS® and REALTOR® were registered with the United States Patent and Trademark Office on Sept. 13, 1949..."

https://www.nar.realtor/about-nar/history

Old 12-20-2023, 02:24 PM

15,574 posts, read 40,417,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post

All REALTORS are members of NAR, capitalized or not. Otherwise, they are real estate agents or real estate brokers.

Old 12-21-2023, 11:47 AM

4,613 posts, read 7,531,187 times
Many people think that a real estate agent turns the key, opens the door and collects a big, fat commission check at closing — nothing could be further from the truth. A real estate agent is an educator, a problem solver and logistics coordinator. We provide emotional support and ensure that the process runs smoothly. We help all the parties play nicely with each other in order to get the transaction to closing.

I've been a full time real estate agent for almost 25 years now and I can think of only a handful of transactions that went smoothly from contract to closing.

Most of the time there are issues, both large and small. Everything from buyer/seller/other agent melt downs to unexpected repair issues to low appraisals to title problems that had to be cleared before closing. Fights over chandeliers or other light fixtures that the listing agent was supposed to flag as going with the seller but were not, fights over sellers changing out brand name ceiling fans for inexpensive big box store ones, failure to disclose termite damage that was never repaired or previous roof leaks that left water damage in the attic, sellers refusing to close on the contracted date because they failed to find suitable replacement housing, buyers who can't close on time because of some last minute glitch with their financing or can't find affordable insurance coverage for their new home.

I've had to diplomatically convince sellers that having a top to bottom professional cleaning of their current home would be a good way to encourage buyers, to convince them that dog pads and cat litter boxes need to disappear for showings, that they need to leave the house for showings, that inspection reports must be dealt with & not buried in the back yard, that how they live normally and how they have to live while their homes are on the market are two totally different things. I've had sellers attempt to remove appliances that are listed in the contract from the home the day of closing.

I've had buyers that have attempted to hide certain debts from the lender (which always come out in the end), that have been laid off their jobs just before closing, that think contract deadlines are suggestions and not actual deadlines. I've had to explain many times to buyers the difference between cosmetic and warranted items when it comes to an inspection report and why the seller is not obligated to repaint a wall or replace a worn carpet.

I've had a couple of transactions where one of the sellers / buyers died unexpectedly just before closing, which does not relieve the other person from their obligation to sell or buy in most contracts. I've had sellers to missing right before closing on an international trip they failed to notify me or the closing agent about.

For those of you who sold your home without the assistance of a real estate agent and had an easy transaction, good for you. But for many home sales, I'm reminded of that quote by Mark Twain about making sausages and laws. You can add real estate transactions as a 3rd item to his quote.

Old 01-21-2024, 07:55 PM

2,050 posts, read 993,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
Many people think that a real estate agent turns the key, opens the door and collects a big, fat commission check at closing ...
Because they do.

Real estate agents are a soon-to-be obsolete career. You can thank the internet for that. I think that's one of the things I would thank the internet for...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals