Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2023, 11:20 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,086,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
How do you avoid the knuckleheads in a large firm if you allow dual and designated agency without imitations on brokers who can write an offer or who have listings your buyers desire?
If an agent doesn't even know many other agents in the firm, how do they avoid knuckleheads?
How do you ever avoid knuckleheads on any transaction? Call and talk to the agent after showings, get their feedback, get a feel for both the agent, and the buyer. Look at the quality of the offer and how well it is constructed. Perhaps talk to your client about what you do know about the agent if you've worked with him before and had a good/bad experience, it might help in making one offer sound better than another. My working relationship with other brokers both inside and outside our agency has helped get through some tough transactions.

Every agent is going to have a broker, at least I know mine isn't a knucklehead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2023, 11:55 AM

Mike.... we actually did have one transaction that came apart entirely because the other agent and Designated Boker were knuckleheads.

I felt bad for the poor buyer who lost out on a home they really wanted over something stupid. It could have been saved if either the agent or their broker had some sense. My broker would have advised better.

So... Working with other people is always a challenge, but there's certainly nothing intrinsically better about limiting yourself to only unknowns.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 12-27-2023 at 11:56 AM.. Reason: follow up on previous post.

Old 12-27-2023, 11:58 AM

43,269 posts, read 77,073,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
How do you ever avoid knuckleheads on any transaction? Call and talk to the agent after showings, get their feedback, get a feel for both the agent, and the buyer. Look at the quality of the offer and how well it is constructed. Perhaps talk to your client about what you do know about the agent if you've worked with him before and had a good/bad experience, it might help in making one offer sound better than another. My working relationship with other brokers both inside and outside our agency has helped get through some tough transactions.

Every agent is going to have a broker, at least I know mine isn't a knucklehead.
There is "avoiding" and there is "minimizing," which are two very different concepts.

Would your firm broker support you if you prompted a client to accept an offer from a broker outside your firm, because you had a poor experience with the associate broker in your firm?

Old 12-27-2023, 12:44 PM

Quote:
There is "avoiding" and there is "minimizing," which are two very different concepts.

Would your firm broker support you if you prompted a client to accept an offer from a broker outside your firm, because you had a poor experience with the associate broker in your firm?
I think he would give advice based on the situation. If an issue was raised, he'd probably want to know I am giving the best advice for the client and the situation, not just based on who I like or don't like. Would he "support" me? If I'm not doing anything unethical, I would certainly expect so.

In the end, which offer gets accepted is not my decision, and I would hope anyone advising me would remind me of that fact, and that I should be careful to keep the client's interests in front of my own opinions.

Like I said above, he's not a knucklehead. He always gives fair and thoughtful advice, and then lets us do our job. That's what I would expect.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 12-27-2023 at 01:14 PM..

Old 12-27-2023, 01:41 PM

5,970 posts, read 3,711,573 times
Quote:

Why "prompt" the client to accept either of the offers? Why not just present the offers factually and as impartially as possible and let the client decide which, if either, he wants to accept?

Old 12-27-2023, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Why "prompt" the client to accept either of the offers? Why not just present the offers factually and as impartially as possible and let the client decide which, if either, he wants to accept?
Chas....
Diana introduced the concept which you question.
To wit:
"Look at the quality of the offer and how well it is constructed. Perhaps talk to your client about what you do know about the agent if you've worked with him before and had a good/bad experience, it might help in making one offer sound better than another."

As a REALTOR member, a licensee is bound by the Code Of Ethics to present offers objectively. Diana is not a REALTOR, so not bound by that formal COE.
I will let her describe how she would handle offers.

However, if working as a fiduciary, whether or not in designated dual agency, should a licensee not be willing and able to offer a recommendation along with factual information that the client would want to consider? That could mean looking at a huge variety of intertwined terms in offers, and the clients wanted that input. They generally hire agents for the benefits of their experiences and their knowledge.
Along with a net sheet, a good broker also might list plusses and minuses of offers in multiple offer situations.
Some offers generate long lists of +/-. Some not so much. Either might lead to recommendations.
And, the client always chooses.

Old 12-27-2023, 02:22 PM

5,970 posts, read 3,711,573 times
Quote:
Chas....
Diana introduced the concept which you question.
To wit:
"Look at the quality of the offer and how well it is constructed. Perhaps talk to your client about what you do know about the agent if you've worked with him before and had a good/bad experience, it might help in making one offer sound better than another."

As a REALTOR member, a licensee is bound by the Code Of Ethics to present offers objectively. Diana is not a REALTOR, so not bound by that formal COE.
I will let her describe how she would handle offers.

However, if working as a fiduciary, whether or not in designated dual agency, should a licensee not be willing and able to offer a recommendation along with factual information that the client would want to consider? That could mean looking at a huge variety of intertwined terms in offers, and the clients wanted that input. They generally hire agents for the benefits of their experiences and their knowledge.
Along with a net sheet, a good broker also might list plusses and minuses of offers in multiple offer situations.
Some offers generate long lists of +/-. Some not so much. Either might lead to recommendations.
And, the client always chooses.
I was referring to YOUR post about prompting a client to accept an offer from a broker outside your firm versus an offer from an associate broker in your firm. My question is "Why PROMPT the client at all?" Why not just present the facts and let the seller decide which, if either offer, he wants to accept? That way, if something goes wrong on the one the seller decides on, he can't blame you for steering him wrong.

Old 12-27-2023, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
I was referring to YOUR post about prompting a client to accept an offer from a broker outside your firm versus an offer from an associate broker in your firm. My question is "Why PROMPT the client at all?" Why not just present the facts and let the seller decide which, if either offer, he wants to accept? That way, if something goes wrong on the one the seller decides on, he can't blame you for steering him wrong.

Obviously, my post was a direct response to Diana's post.
I even quoted her in my response to her. And I even quoted her again just for you.

You follow neither threads nor agency topics well. That leads to your confusion.

Old 12-27-2023, 03:32 PM

Everybody here is splitting hairs… And that’s good to do once in a while so we stay on our toes!

Old 12-27-2023, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Everybody here is splitting hairs… And that’s good to do once in a while so we stay on our toes!
Splitting hairs when discussing agency? I think many agents need those conversations routinely, but there is so little oversight in the business.

The exceptional levels of misunderstanding of agency roles among consumers, and even among some agents, make good discussion necessary and valuable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals