Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2024, 07:56 PM

548 posts, read 269,053 times

Advertisements

Sounds like original agent was opportunistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:46 AM

2,043 posts, read 880,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamThomas View Post
Sounds like original agent was opportunistic.
Let's face it, they aren't in the business not to make money. Used car salesman and real-estate agents are cut from the same cloth

Old Yesterday, 11:23 AM

11,839 posts, read 34,478,047 times
Cut from the same cloth? You mean as human beings who are trying to provide for themselves and their families?

Old Yesterday, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Cut from the same cloth? You mean as human beings who are trying to provide for themselves and their families?
Let's just say there are honest human beings and dishonest human beings who are trying to provide for themselves and their families.

My problem is that a real-estate agent takes a month long course to get in the game, but are handling the largest financial transaction in a person or a family's life. It just boggles the mind...

Old Yesterday, 12:25 PM

11,839 posts, read 34,478,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenvalleyfan View Post
Let's just say there are honest human beings and dishonest human beings who are trying to provide for themselves and their families.

My problem is that a real-estate agent takes a month long course to get in the game, but are handling the largest financial transaction in a person or a family's life. It just boggles the mind...
Well I understand what you don’t in this situation. Colorado where I am licensed, is 168 hours of prelicense school, pass the school test, pass the state and national test, have your fingerprints checked by CBI and FBI and agree to be highly supervised by the employing broker.

If there is a complaint the real estate commission investigates. You may have the complaint dismissed, you could get education, a public censure, a license downgrade or suspension.

Some states have attorneys involved writing contracts.

What do you do? Are there bad actors in your chosen profession?

Old Yesterday, 12:29 PM

6,496 posts, read 10,393,142 times
Quote:
Don't forget that realtors are under extreme scrutiny by their brokers and local MLS. Must attend xx hours/month for new education. Make $0 if a sale doesn't close, no matter how many hours they spend with a client. The overwhelming majority rarely make it a long-term career for whatever reason. Don't assume that all realtors live in million-dollar homes and drive cars valued at $50K and above.

Old Yesterday, 12:46 PM

43,371 posts, read 77,271,918 times
Quote:

Sorry YOU are suffering from Boggled Mind. Are you certain you didn't catch it somewhere else?

Have you sought help for the condition?

It is easy to find agents with business, finance, or accounting degrees. MBAs even. I know agents, former lawyers, who moved from legal careers to brokerage.
You get what you settle for.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; Yesterday at 01:10 PM..

Old Yesterday, 01:02 PM

15,597 posts, read 40,497,229 times
Quote:

The qualifications vary based on state. Some states are insanely lax and others are more stringent. I would like to see a real estate class more like a paralegal one, but I don't see that happening.

Texas, Colorado, and Oregon have some of the most stringent requirements to become a real estate agent. While we have some real estate drama here, some of the crazy things I hear about in other states don't seem to happen here as only about half of people pass the real estate class and exam so we tend to weed out most of the really bad people.

Most agents can do the job adequately. Excellent agents are still a small group of people, but they can at least get the paperwork and process completed.

Old Yesterday, 02:21 PM

10,984 posts, read 22,016,997 times
Quote:

My non-boggled mind isn't grasping the correlation between personal ethics and the time investment required to obtain a license. Can you explain it to me as if I were a 5th grader, so I can understand?

Old Today, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Well I understand what you don’t in this situation. Colorado where I am licensed, is 168 hours of prelicense school, pass the school test, pass the state and national test, have your fingerprints checked by CBI and FBI and agree to be highly supervised by the employing broker.

If there is a complaint the real estate commission investigates. You may have the complaint dismissed, you could get education, a public censure, a license downgrade or suspension.

Some states have attorneys involved writing contracts.

What do you do? Are there bad actors in your chosen profession?
Good for Colorado, but not the case in Maryland. No, I don't need to act in my line of work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals