Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2024, 05:27 PM

15,593 posts, read 40,493,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Post didn’t indicate if the buyer was aware or not. Yea. Onto the next house for both
The post said there were four counter offers and the agent kept asking for the commission with each counter offer. The only way to ask for more compensation outside of the MLS is within the contract itself. Do other parts of the country do it differently?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2024, 05:38 PM

43,365 posts, read 77,261,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
The post said there were four counter offers and the agent kept asking for the commission with each counter offer. The only way to ask for more compensation outside of the MLS is within the contract itself. Do other parts of the country do it differently?
Commission was always outside the contract in NC.
Contract is between the principals, and that would exclude agents.
Of course, that may change with the NAR settlement.

Old 04-28-2024, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Commission was always outside the contract in NC.
Contract is between the principals, and that would exclude agents.
Of course, that may change with the NAR settlement.
So here when there is a buyer agency agreement, even before the settlement, any additional buyer agent fees owed by the buyer were negotiated in the contract like closing costs because the agent was not paying the additional fees. So how does that work when a listing agent offers to share something and the buyer agent demands more?? How would that get negotiated outside of the contract?

Old 04-28-2024, 09:36 PM

12,883 posts, read 9,623,495 times
Quote:
Ok. So the sellers agent wasn’t pulling a fast one or anything, assuming this post was real. Buyers agent or buyer knew the commission structure and was hoping the seller and SA compromise. I’m not really mad at the seller tbh. Seemed pretty transparent

Old 04-29-2024, 12:15 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,498,454 times
Sorry, post got deleted.

Old 05-01-2024, 08:35 AM

544 posts, read 267,339 times
My curiosity is:
1. Buyer went back on his word
2. BA was too scared to ask
3. BA told the buyer beforehand "don't worry about it, we can get the seller to pay the difference. They won't want us to walk for a piddly sum.

If I'm the BA, I'd probably close the deal and eat 2750, but I'm also not an agent.

Old 05-01-2024, 09:20 AM

Quote:
So here when there is a buyer agency agreement, even before the settlement, any additional buyer agent fees owed by the buyer were negotiated in the contract like closing costs because the agent was not paying the additional fees. So how does that work when a listing agent offers to share something and the buyer agent demands more?? How would that get negotiated outside of the contract?
There is only one bucket of bucks, brought by the buyer.
"Closing Costs" can be anything supported by the lender, without specific line item labeling.

So, if the buyer will be on the hook for a few percent CC, usually mostly because of lender fees, Buyer and Seller can negotiate a CC concession in an agreeable amount.
It should NOT have to be identified as "Buyers Agent Commission" because it is merely deducted from the total CC.
I did a LOT of transactions with CC concessions, without the contract, addenda, or other documents identifying the earmarks for those costs.
Lenders just limited the percentage of allowable CC Concessions based on the amount of down payment.
I think 8% was usually the limit for conventional 80% LTV funding.

If a buyer owes their agent an additional 2.4% that is not a proffered cobroke, buyer may be able to negotiate 2.4% CC to gain the funds to get the agent paid.
Yes, that may require increasing the contract price, but that may be the price of the game after mid-July.

I don't see why the current mess revises that dynamic significantly without citing specific parameters.
And, I would ask any CD member lenders to weigh in.

Old 05-01-2024, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
There is only one bucket of bucks, brought by the buyer.
"Closing Costs" can be anything supported by the lender, without specific line item labeling.

So, if the buyer will be on the hook for a few percent CC, usually mostly because of lender fees, Buyer and Seller can negotiate a CC concession in an agreeable amount.
It should NOT have to be identified as "Buyers Agent Commission" because it is merely deducted from the total CC.
I did a LOT of transactions with CC concessions, without the contract, addenda, or other documents identifying the earmarks for those costs.
Lenders just limited the percentage of allowable CC Concessions based on the amount of down payment.
I think 8% was usually the limit for conventional 80% LTV funding.

If a buyer owes their agent an additional 2.4% that is not a proffered cobroke, buyer may be able to negotiate 2.4% CC to gain the funds to get the agent paid.
Yes, that may require increasing the contract price, but that may be the price of the game after mid-July.

I don't see why the current mess revises that dynamic significantly without citing specific parameters.
And, I would ask any CD member lenders to weigh in.
Yes, we wrote it up as a closing cost concession before too. Now we just write it up as buyer-agent compensation paid on behalf of the buyer to distinguish it from lender-allowed closing costs since Fannie said it wouldn't count toward the cap, if we are doing both BAC and closing costs and are approaching/going over the cap.

I just didn't understand how a buyer could not know about it. Since it was in each counteroffer. I didn't know if other parts of the country did something differently.

Old 05-01-2024, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Yes, we wrote it up as a closing cost concession before too. Now we just write it up as buyer-agent compensation paid on behalf of the buyer to distinguish it from lender-allowed closing costs since Fannie said it wouldn't count toward the cap, if we are doing both BAC and closing costs and are approaching/going over the cap.

I just didn't understand how a buyer could not know about it. Since it was in each counteroffer. I didn't know if other parts of the country did something differently.
I wonder about the OP's use of the term "counteroffer."
I know in NC, and possibly in other states/regions, true "counteroffers" are rare to nonexistent.

After the initial written offer, general practice is we almost never do written, signed counteroffers that become bnding contracts when signed.
I think I never did one.
Negotiations are by email, text, phone call taking positions which are expressed in a final revised contract when it is signed.

Texts:
"Buyer will go $450,000 if the seller pays $4,000 in CC."
"Seller says $455,000 and $4,000 in CC."
"Buyer says $452,500 and $3,000 in CC."
"Great. Seller says, 'Write it up!"

Less documentation, with one final document that rules the transaction, but even here, some agents will call the back and forth "counteroffers," when of course they are not.

Old 05-01-2024, 01:14 PM

Here's a bit of a tangent from a local NC real estate attorney whose firm does a lot of closings in multiple locations:

Chris Mann

This is your mid-week real estate class with Chris.
You know I love you, right? I LOVE YOU SO MUCH. But, much like grandparents, there's a limit. At some point they say "Nope" and hand you back your feral child. The limit of my love for you is when I can get in trouble with the bar. Because, while I love you, I'm not going to live under a bridge, eating peas out of a can.

If a seller refuses to pay the agreed upon commission because of some dispute or for no reason at all.. We are required to still close the transaction without paying you.
The contract between buyer and seller is, in no way, contingent on the seller honoring the compensation agreement they have with the listing agent. If this happens in your transaction and I refuse your pleas to hold up the closing until it's resolved, it's because I'm not allowed to do that.

You cannot make the contract between buyer and seller contingent on your compensation. It’s just not currently allowed.
This is what your buyer agency agreement is for. In theory, you could choose to then collect your commission from the buyer. Or…. You could chase the listing agent who would then be forced to sue his own client. Those are really the options. Me holding up the deal is not in the list of options.

This all also applies to FSBOs who sign a compensation agreement directly with you as a buyer’s agent. If they refuse to honor that, the deal carries on and you can sue that seller directly.
Good luck and god speed. This doesn't happen much, but when it does. Hoo Boy. Everybody is mad at everybody. And I JUST CAN'T HANDLE THAT KIND OF AGRESSION.

https://www.facebook.com/FarquarQuoc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals