Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2007, 07:13 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,786,726 times

Advertisements

Hello......I'm going into my second week of class to get my real estate license and it's so hard. It's like learning a new language in two weeks. I'm starting to panic about it because all of this is new to me. I've worked in sales & management, so once I pass the test I'll be fine but all the terminology needed to pass the test is freaking me out. Any tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2007, 09:18 AM

11,834 posts, read 34,470,294 times
There are books in the bookstore to help you pass the test. Put the new words on index cards with the definition on the back. Read them, test yourself during down time. Just like grade school.

Old 02-24-2007, 03:27 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,270,684 times
hi rapture, you are paying for the course, so get the most out of your instructor, ask ALOT of questions, and even ask, which, and what material, you will be tested on.
my licensee teacher had the personality of a cabbage, but he did tell us specifically, what to underline and study.

rapture, there is a huge amount of info being thrown at you, just try to absorb and make sense of what you can.
and dont get discouraged, the associate broker test is ten times more difficult

here's a quick tip, most of learning (memory) is word or picture association, so have clear, associations.

good luck rapture and keep asking questions!!

Old 02-24-2007, 04:32 PM

19 posts, read 79,257 times
I find that learning terminology is easier when I commit to using them in my conversations. Once they are committed to memory and internalized, they will become your language, so to speak.

I would do my best to engage in conversations with class mates about various topics to help you understand the terminology a bit better.

Try not to put too much pressure on yourself; remember that the education on how to build a real estate business is provided by your broker and through self education (reading books like the "Millionaire Real Estate Agent", not in real estate school. That's been my experience at least.

Old 02-24-2007, 05:43 PM

Thanks to all of you for the advice. I've been reading already for four hours today and I'm making flash cards as 2bindenver suggested. I thought if I write it as I read it maybe it will sink in a little better. I bought a cd tutorial to listen while I drive so I maybe that will help also. I'm really in shock of how much legal stuff is involved. There's a woman in my class that's husband is a real estate attorney and even he was surprised at how much we have to know.

I'm going to study with someone tomorrow and I will take the advice of RESteve and try to use words in the conversation.

mainebrokerman: my instructor is a character and really good but sometimes likes to wander off topic. I did tell him on Thursday that I have a lot of questions and he was helpful. I think when you said word/pic associations it was on line with the flash card idea, so hopefully that will work.

Back to reading.........

Old 02-24-2007, 06:39 PM

Obviously you had a bad experience. Not all agents are the same and I know a lot of people that have successful, honest careers as agents. I'm not a day dreamer or a ditzy housewife with a husband paying for anything.

Thanks for your input but I would appreciate more positive advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals