Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 08:02 PM

353 posts, read 1,728,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobE View Post
If you're going to paint it, I would call either the city or the local fire department for permission. Some cities and even states have regulations about the color or hydrants. And get that permission in WRITING!

Very true. We are not allowed to touch fire hydrants in my neck of the woods. BTW, I have one on the corner of my property - right next to the cable box.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 08:17 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,946,021 times
you could make it pretty or cute or such .. few ideas for ya .. LOL and yup I would do something like this have a look

PAINTED PLUGS (http://www.flickr.com/photos/wiless/2475592919/in/set-72157604949215502/ - broken link)

Old 01-03-2010, 01:14 PM

1 posts, read 6,048 times
Sorry for raising this thread from the dead (I happened across it in a Google search). I just wanted to comment on the suggestions to paint the hydrant.

I would definitely recommend checking with the local authorities (or at least calling your local fire department) before painting a hydrant. Hydrant colors can mean more than "I'm a fire hydrant!" In my area, we're on the border of two different water systems. Hydrants are color coded depending which system they're connected to. This is important, as the different systems use different threads on the hookups (so a different adapter needs to be used for each hydrant).

Additionally, some areas use color codes to convey other important information (hydrant pressure, flow rate, grid location, etc).

So, please, please, _please_ check with someone before painting a hydrant.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:34 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,304,764 times
The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) has a standard for the color coding of fire hydrants based on tested water flow. Red is for 250 GPM or less, Yellow 251-500 GPM, Green 501-750 GPM and Blue 750 GPM+

One should definitely check with the local fire authority before painting a hydrant.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:56 AM

1 posts, read 3,234 times
I am currently in the same position and working on getting mine moved. the fire hydrant is in the middle of my front lawn. Does anyone know what the rules are. the fire hydrant is installed in my frnt yard approx 24 inches from the walkway so almost in the middle of my front lawn. Can the city do that? It can depreciate the value of my house.

Old 09-18-2015, 12:37 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,414,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Hayden View Post
My family and I came home from vacation today to find the town moved our fire Hydrant from across the street to which was in no ones yard to our front yard. Now, I know that the town owns a part of the front yard but the way my house sits it is now taking center stage right in front of my home. To no fault of our's, now the curb appeal of my home has been affected. I did not purchase the house with this eye sore and now I have live with it. Also, if I was to sell my home now I feel like it is going to be potential problem.... I feel villated they didn't even tell us they were doing this...

Michele,

No worries, paint it exactly the same colors the FDNY had in New York City long ago, they are so beautiful.

The township should have been decent enough to let you in on what they had planned.

Make it part of the family, why not? good luck

Old 09-18-2015, 12:59 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,914,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine576 View Post
I am currently in the same position and working on getting mine moved. the fire hydrant is in the middle of my front lawn. Does anyone know what the rules are. the fire hydrant is installed in my frnt yard approx 24 inches from the walkway so almost in the middle of my front lawn. Can the city do that? It can depreciate the value of my house.
The fire hydrant, as I'm sure you know, is connected to underground pipes. It's not like they just stick them in the ground randomly.

Moving one costs thousands of dollars, and most municipalities/utilities are not likely to spend that much just because one resident "doesn't like it."

Depreciation is relative, really, since it's definitely not the most obtrusive thing you could have in the front yard. But I would call the water dept and see what they say about moving it. It would require heavy equipment digging up your yard, so IF they agreed, things would get MUCH worse before they got better.

Old 09-19-2015, 07:36 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,391,753 times
One thing people in this thread don't seem to get: The area from the sidewalk to the street (usually called a "terrace") is not property of the homeowner...it is property of the municipality. I'm guessing almost all the fire hydrants discussed in this thread are actually on the terrace, and not actually on the "lawn" of someone's property.

Old 09-19-2015, 10:17 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,988,922 times
My fire hydrant is green with a yellow top.

And it's right in front of my house......in the sidewalk pavement.

I LOVE MY FIRE HYDRANT!

And so does my insurer.!!!

Old 09-19-2015, 11:04 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,662,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Hayden View Post
My family and I came home from vacation today to find the town moved our fire Hydrant from across the street to which was in no ones yard to our front yard. Now, I know that the town owns a part of the front yard but the way my house sits it is now taking center stage right in front of my home. To no fault of our's, now the curb appeal of my home has been affected. I did not purchase the house with this eye sore and now I have live with it. Also, if I was to sell my home now I feel like it is going to be potential problem.... I feel villated they didn't even tell us they were doing this...
Honestly, it's not going to be a problem. I have a fire hydrant in front of our house -- we're talking between $500K-$1 mil in Atlanta -- and I barely know it's there, I don't even see it any more. I have a few plantings around it (nothing that would interfere with access to it it), and that's that. And I have a discount for my homeowners insurance for being that close to a hydrant. :-)

Right now, you're just surprised and not used to it. You'll quickly get used to it. It's not going to affect the "curb appeal" of your yard. Plant some flowers around it and stop worrying about it. You don't really have any recourse. The city has an easement. And if you had a fire, you'd be SOOO grateful for that little ol' hydrant right there in front of your house. . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals