Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 02:03 PM

4 posts, read 92,518 times

Advertisements

My family and I came home from vacation today to find the town moved our fire Hydrant from across the street to which was in no ones yard to our front yard. Now, I know that the town owns a part of the front yard but the way my house sits it is now taking center stage right in front of my home. To no fault of our's, now the curb appeal of my home has been affected. I did not purchase the house with this eye sore and now I have live with it. Also, if I was to sell my home now I feel like it is going to be potential problem.... I feel villated they didn't even tell us they were doing this...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 02:09 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,985,682 times
It's likely there is an easment and the city has no need to inform you of it.

For starters contact your insurance company and ask for a discount! Since the hydrant is so close to your home it's likely they will offer a discount.

Contact the FD and ask about landscaping. You may want to install plantings and redesign the landscaping of your front yard to change for focal point from the hydrant -- basically to distract the eye. You will want to check with the FD for regulations. Usually they need clearance of 3' around the hydrant. While you are chatting with them ask if the hydrant can be moved to one side or the other - it never hurts to ask .... very nicely!

Best wishes.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:43 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,713,615 times
I wonder why the hydrant was moved. I mean, there has to be a reason , right? When you find out, let us know.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:05 PM

Default Fire Hydrant

My understanding is that the fire hydrant was supposed to be put back into the same place but when they put the valve on they put it on the wrong side. In order to fix the mistake cheaply they decided to put it on the other side of the road in front of my house. Also, where it was was on a medium next to the sidewalk where it was not affecting any part of someones property.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:07 PM

Thank you for your response and your help. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:29 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
They probably moved the hydrant in conjunction with a larger water main and/or paving project.

Unless you have some really weird elevation (which would be another problem all by itself) I really doubt that any future buyer will notice the hydrant anywhere near as much as you do right now...

Old 08-24-2009, 06:06 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,303,611 times
I'd buy 200' of cotton jacket 1 1/2 hose, an adapter to fit the hydrant, a hydrant wrench, and a fog nozzle. learn how to make it work, then call your insurance agent.

Then again, I've been a rural volunteer firefighter for years, and a hydrant is a thing of beauty to me.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:05 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,190,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Hayden View Post
My family and I came home from vacation today to find the town moved our fire Hydrant from across the street to which was in no ones yard to our front yard. Now, I know that the town owns a part of the front yard but the way my house sits it is now taking center stage right in front of my home. To no fault of our's, now the curb appeal of my home has been affected. I did not purchase the house with this eye sore and now I have live with it. Also, if I was to sell my home now I feel like it is going to be potential problem.... I feel villated they didn't even tell us they were doing this...

Lawyer time. Spend $250 on a consult with a local RE guy...then you sic em on the town or landscape around the hydrant.

To literally move a fire hydrant across the street and into the "center stage" of the front of a house is likely condemnation of the property.

but you need a lawyer.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:18 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,901,183 times
Heck, move it to the front of my house!! A fire hydrant that close is an asset, not a liability.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:21 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
Default Come on now, awfully quick to jump on this.

If the OP produces a picture that shows the hydrant not in the parkway but smack in the middle of his lawn even then you'd have a heckuva time finding an attorney that would take on a municipality!

You gonna bring suit against the phone company for upgrading their service boxes from analog tech in olive drab to digital in beige?

The cable company for getting rid of the old skinny coax for the the fatter stuff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Lawyer time. Spend $250 on a consult with a local RE guy...then you sic em on the town or landscape around the hydrant.

To literally move a fire hydrant across the street and into the "center stage" of the front of a house is likely condemnation of the property.

but you need a lawyer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals