Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 09:17 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
... Unfortunately, RE/MAX agents consistantly outsell KW agents in nearly every market ... but because you are with RE/MAX you gain 10% (about the difference in RE/MAX and KW productivity)...
Tom, with all due respect, you seem intent on disparaging other brands, and I'm beginning to wonder what you really hope to accomplish here.

Do you think your comments, such as those above, would survive an Ethics Hearing for violation of Articles 12 and 15 of the Realtor Code of Ethics?

Quote:
Article 12
REALTORS® shall be honest and truthful in their real estate communications and shall present a true picture in their advertising, marketing, and other representations.
You're skating on really thin ice when you take your subjective interpretation of sales and market data and claim it as a blanket fact. It's like trying to assert what the weather is nationwide. You'll only be correct in places where the local conditions happen to be in sync with whatever national statistic you are claiming to be "fact".

That means you are absolutely wrong in many, many instances. You seem unwilling to acknowledge this and instead stick to your blanket assertions as if they are fact for every reader. That fails to present a true picture to the public, in my opinion.

Quote:
Article 15
REALTORS® shall not knowingly or recklessly make false or misleading statements about competitors, their businesses, or their business practices.
I think you ought to reconsider what you're trying to accomplish here. Many of us have debated you in a cordial and open manner and explained why you can't make blanket statements across the board about your competitors. Yet you continue to have your last word.

Your continued statements about ReMax superiority are false in many local real estate markets in the country. Since this is a national forum, read by people from anywhere in the country, I think you might want to pick your words more carefully, add better clarity and context, and make sure you frame your assertions with specificity that is 100% valid and defensible. Otherwise you are in violation of Article 15, in my opinion.

For example, nothing you say is true in Austin TX, at all. Yes, we have some great ReMax agents in Austin. But KW started here, is based here, and KW represents almost 1/5th of all transaction sides in Austin (about 18% according to the last stats I saw).

Your blanket statements about ReMax superiority are therefore false and misleading to an Austin TX reader/consumer. Non-ReMax brands hold dominant positions in various other markets around the country as well, so your blanket assertions are in fact knowingly making false and misleading statements about your competitors.

These forums, like our websites, are considered "advertising" for Realtor Code of Ethics purposes. You have a duty and responsibility to be just as careful and accurate here online as you would in an ad you place in a national publication. I think you're falling short of the adherence required of all Realtors.

Maybe you should clarify what you mean to say, or what you want the consumer/public to take away from this thread, and why you think it was important to start the thread.

Furthermore, you might want to clarify whether or not your opening post is accurate and correct across the board, since there is no way you can know the commission split arrangement for every agent at every independently owned ReMax office everywhere, nor that of every competitor.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 05:09 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,312,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Tom, with all due respect, you seem intent on disparaging other brands, and I'm beginning to wonder what you really hope to accomplish here.

Do you think your comments, such as those above, would survive an Ethics Hearing for violation of Articles 12 and 15 of the Realtor Code of Ethics?

Steve
Yes, Steve, I have no need or desire to disparage any other firm. The facts are the other firms are disparaging RE/MAX and I am only presenting the facts which are "overlooked" or blantantly abused by members of the other firms. How many times have you heard the term "excessive fees" when discussing RE/MAX? It was the purpose of this thread to show how RE/MAX fees allow professionals to have a better return on their career investment than the disparaging off the cuff comments falsly label.

I have made every effort to be truly "in the ball park" with my statements. I have used data from "Real Trends", the National Association of Realtors, and "Real Data Strategies". I have not scientically put the numbers into a spreadsheet, but have made every effort to understate rather than overstate.

The NAR Code of Ethics is a very important commitment of mine, but it is secondary to my personal integrity. When we go back into the OP of this thread, you'll see the context of this thread and when everything in put back into that context, I'll stand strong that when all the facts are put together, and with reasonable exceptions due to the fact there are 7000 "Independent Owned & Operated" RE/MAX offices the franchise is the best of the best.

If you or any other readers are personally insulted, please accept my genuine apologies for not being a perfect writer. My intentions were and remain honorable, which is what can not be said for some of the actions of individuals recruiting for their firms.

I don't have the Austin data, never have had the Austin data, and while KW may have a gross 5 to 1 sales advantage in Austin, I would hypothesize that RE/MAX agents hold their own even in Austin, especially when average production per agent is considered.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:34 AM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Yes, Steve, I have no need or desire to disparage any other firm. The facts are the other firms are disparaging RE/MAX and I am only presenting the facts which are "overlooked" or blantantly abused by members of the other firms. How many times have you heard the term "excessive fees" when discussing RE/MAX? It was the purpose of this thread to show how RE/MAX fees allow professionals to have a better return on their career investment than the disparaging off the cuff comments falsly label.

I have made every effort to be truly "in the ball park" with my statements. I have used data from "Real Trends", the National Association of Realtors, and "Real Data Strategies". I have not scientically put the numbers into a spreadsheet, but have made every effort to understate rather than overstate.

The NAR Code of Ethics is a very important commitment of mine, but it is secondary to my personal integrity. When we go back into the OP of this thread, you'll see the context of this thread and when everything in put back into that context, I'll stand strong that when all the facts are put together, and with reasonable exceptions due to the fact there are 7000 "Independent Owned & Operated" RE/MAX offices the franchise is the best of the best.

If you or any other readers are personally insulted, please accept my genuine apologies for not being a perfect writer. My intentions were and remain honorable, which is what can not be said for some of the actions of individuals recruiting for their firms.

I don't have the Austin data, never have had the Austin data, and while KW may have a gross 5 to 1 sales advantage in Austin, I would hypothesize that RE/MAX agents hold their own even in Austin, especially when average production per agent is considered.
Tom,
The error is the mere discussion of other firms' compensation models.
For a variety of reasons, we are generally advised to avoid such discussion.

FWIW, you are inaccurate and incomplete in your description of the KELLER WILLIAMS® model.

Inaccurately describing other business models in an apparent attempt to portray one as superior to others may well be considered disparaging the competition, whether intentionally or inadvertently.

And, I am not going to participate in further compensation model discussion.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Tom,
The error is the mere discussion of other firms' compensation models.
For a variety of reasons, we are generally advised to avoid such discussion.

FWIW, you are inaccurate and incomplete in your description of the KELLER WILLIAMS® model.

Inaccurately describing other business models in an apparent attempt to portray one as superior to others may well be considered disparaging the competition, whether intentionally or inadvertently.

And, I am not going to participate in further compensation model discussion.
Mike, I appreciate your comments. Yet, it's obvious, few people understand the different models. My original intent was not to zero in on anyone's model as good or bad, but rather to show for educational purposes only the various approaches to agent compensation.

I have spoken from experience, from interviews, and from information provided by sources such as Harvard University School of Business. I have not attempted to maline any model or firm, but rather to simply compare.

It has been my experience, which caused me to write the OP, that individuals associated with other firms have incorrectly described the RE/MAX model in a competitively incorrect even occasionally dishonest manner. As I have repeated over and over in this thread, it is not my intent to damage another firm, but to simply explain using comparative generalizations the differences between models. I agree to be too specific, which I certainly could have been, would be inappropriate, possibly even unethical.

If I have incorrectly described any particular firm's model, I am certainly open to correction.

Like you, I agree that this horse is ready to be put out to pasture and let's move on.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:14 PM

2 posts, read 9,651 times
I am a newly licensed broker and am currently looking at different companies in the Portland, OR area (SW Portland suburbs). I've talked with KW and CB, and will be meeting with Exit, Windermere, and Remax. Does anyone have any productive things to say about each of these companies? It would be great to hear experiences and suggestions.
From my understanding, training and support is the biggest factor for newbies.
It would also be great if I can get some info from locals.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:24 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Scott - You should find some local agents to consult but in the meantime:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/real-...lliams-vs.html

Old 08-21-2012, 11:54 PM

2 posts, read 9,651 times
Hey thanks Rakin, I appreciate it. I did check out that blog and a couple others.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:53 AM

718 posts, read 2,079,455 times
RAPP gets you sucked in like credit card debt. I was a top producing Re/Max agent for over 13 years. My office fees averaged about $3,000 a month, which is the check I wrote for the privilege of going to work. However, my commission rate then was 100%...none of that transaction fee stuff which was started by greedy brokers. There was the quarterly taxes we paid, all the MLS fees, all the advertising, signs, business cards, paper, equipment to run your business. A business within a business, but it taught you to invest in yourself and then be productive. If half the world was paid on productivity as are realtors, things would be better. There is no unemployment if you haven't had a closing in awhile, there is no one paying taxes for you. You are the employer and the employee, so the 2x FICA is yours to pay. Re/Max then, forced you to actually WORK and to be productive and to help those buyers and sellers 24/7. I did this for over 25 years and made wonderful friends from my customers and clients. This "business" is no different than the person that decides to open the sheet metal business. Guts, determination and a lot of cash.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Scott - You should find some local agents to consult but in the meantime:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/real-...lliams-vs.html
PROMINENT PITTSBURGH REAL ESTATE TEAM OPENS RE/MAX OFFICE

Old 08-22-2012, 07:06 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Tom... for the record, if I ever left our company I would probably go with the local RM. They (Mark Wolfe) are very good in this area and have some great agents. Hope you didn't think I was knocking RM, just trying to give him a subject that was recently discussed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals