Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2023, 09:08 PM

6,471 posts, read 10,335,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Does your city or state have any laws about " not owner occupied" AirBnB type housing ?

Some have had to enact such laws to stop these "corporate" owned houses.
We cannot assume anything here. For example, in my HOA, we have a corporate-owned SFH that is not rented or used as a AirB&B. The company lets its employees who relocate to our area to temporarily live in the home for a short time while they search for a home to purchase locally. I am on the HOA board for the community and we never have had to deal with the home being used as such. I don't know if our county/city has any restrictions on the books either. Our HOA doesn't currently restrict rentals in our neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2023, 02:54 AM

4,537 posts, read 12,398,619 times
I agree with Rabrrita. There is no argument to be made about it being corporate-owned. However, the "no businesses" clause might prevent short-term vacation rentals. A 30 days lease/stay is often the cutoff between a temporary lodging business and taking up residence.

Old 07-31-2023, 06:21 AM

5,977 posts, read 7,367,852 times
Many HOAs in my area (Tampa) have covenants that require the home to be owner-occupied for the first 1-2 years. This effectively shuts out corporate or private owners who want to rent.

It’s effective at doing just that, as the properties that have such a requirement in their CC&Rs don’t have issues with rental properties for the most part. It doesn’t prevent an owner from renting, it prevents buyers from purchasing a home as an investment property.

RM

Old 07-31-2023, 08:48 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
In our area there are corporate-owned homes, but they are used to house new executive employees at companies like Microsoft and Amazon, while they get settled in and find a place to buy. It's not at all problematic like the AirBnB type of short term rentals. This may be the situation you have there, if you have major employers nearby and are in a desirable neighborhood.

Old 07-31-2023, 09:00 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,079,726 times
From the rounds of replies by OP, 3 options: long term rental, a BRB, and a flipped house. If it’s in good condition already, flipping is not likely,

Sounds easier to discuss future owner’s intent with the seller since OP discusses how close knit community is with everyone.

Old 07-31-2023, 09:19 AM

5,969 posts, read 3,711,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Just got word that our neighbor is selling to a corporation. All the other 100 homes in our neighborhood are owned by individuals, couples and family trusts.

Did some digging and the person behind the corporation is a real estate agent who specializes in flipping and setting up air bnb's.

Should we be concerned about anything here? What could go wrong? We aren't an HOA but we do have covenants.
You need to get a copy of the Covenants and Restrictions that apply to your development. They should spell out what can and can't be done. You may very well belong to a HOA which consists of all the property owners in the development. Just because you don't have meetings or don't know about it, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

Old 07-31-2023, 09:38 AM

9,850 posts, read 7,716,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
You need to get a copy of the Covenants and Restrictions that apply to your development. They should spell out what can and can't be done. You may very well belong to a HOA which consists of all the property owners in the development. Just because you don't have meetings or don't know about it, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.
I'm president of the neighborhood club, there's no HOA. I'm the one who is the contact for realtors and mortgage companies and the city. I know that this is the first corporation to buy a home because I see the list of legal owners every time we do a mailing. It's a volunteer "club" with voluntary dues to pay our small landscaping costs, that's it.

The paralegal just confirmed that they do have a copy of the covenants. He said he would ask the title company what they were going to do with the property but I doubt we'll find out.

From the listing photos, it looks like there is some remodeling going on so if it's a flip, we'd all be happy with that.

Just wondering if we could get them to sign a document at closing confirming they agree to the covenants and would not use home for business purposes.

Old 07-31-2023, 10:08 AM

844 posts, read 418,929 times
I would be interested to find out what are the issues with a corporate landlord assuming it's a long term rental.

Unless your city pass ordinance on "anti-corporate rental", I'm afraid there's nothing you can do. From what I read, this will be limited to corporations that has X unit in your city. X being greater than 100.

One danger is the company will not keep up with the maintenance & repairs, but that's no different than say an individual landlord or homeowner.

The media is hyperventilating about a corporation owns the entire neighborhood, thereby can dictate rent as they own the market, but that apparently is not your situation.

Old 07-31-2023, 11:32 AM

5,969 posts, read 3,711,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I'm president of the neighborhood club, there's no HOA. I'm the one who is the contact for realtors and mortgage companies and the city. I know that this is the first corporation to buy a home because I see the list of legal owners every time we do a mailing. It's a volunteer "club" with voluntary dues to pay our small landscaping costs, that's it.

The paralegal just confirmed that they do have a copy of the covenants. He said he would ask the title company what they were going to do with the property but I doubt we'll find out.

From the listing photos, it looks like there is some remodeling going on so if it's a flip, we'd all be happy with that.

Just wondering if we could get them to sign a document at closing confirming they agree to the covenants and would not use home for business purposes.
If the covenants run with the property, then the owners have no say in whether they "agree" with the covenants or not. The covenants apply whether an individual owner likes it or not.

Old 07-31-2023, 12:28 PM

6,471 posts, read 10,335,572 times
OP, are your community covenants registered at either your county or city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate