Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2023, 10:35 AM

6,474 posts, read 10,341,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
Chances are your state has regulations your HOA must follow. Most have a complaint form you can file with the state regarding an HOA. Usually the complaints are for over-reaching, but not doing due diligence could be a complaint to report. I couldn't tell what state you are in, but I would start there.
I would think that this advice would apply if the Condo Association refuses to correct the vandalism. Condos have a COA, not an HOA designation. They are similar entities but not exactly the same.

Don't confuse the types of associations as the state probably has different statutes for each type of entity. I don't recall if the OP motioned what state this is in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2023, 06:26 AM

7,449 posts, read 4,678,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralvr View Post
My condo area was vandalized by a resident. It was reported in an email by our HOA President. 2 people have come forward. One actually saw them to it. The other said they’re friends with them and they bragged about it. Both want to stay anonymous. No one but the President knows who these anonymous people are nor do we know who did this.
What did they do?

Old 08-18-2023, 07:19 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,802,181 times
Quote:
I had a feeling nothing can be done. It’s so sad that we have to pay for the behavior of irresponsible people. Especially knowing they live in our (otherwise beautiful) community.
The HOA Board can’t do anything because they don’t have those sort of legal powers, but the police can. File a report. Get your witnesses to provide statements.

We had the son of a resident hit and knock down a decorative street lamp. There were witnesses. The resident refused to pay for the damage and the HOA CC&Rs had no language to compel them to do so. A police report was filed and lo and behold the parents stepped up to pay for the repairs. Just because you live in an HOA community it doesn’t mean that Local, State and Federal laws do not apply.

Old 08-18-2023, 08:23 AM

4,190 posts, read 2,506,426 times
Board members have a fiduciary duty to act in good faith for the good of the community - it includes duty of care, duty of loyalty - to the community. The president is violating his/her fiduciary duty, but the board is also by not calling the president to account. The master policy might have a caveat about reporting vandalism to them or the police. Filing a claim and saying the perpetrator was unknown could be insurance fraud which is criminal. Having a master policy canceled would be a big deal - it would most likely mean going to the secondary market where rates would go up.

The president is opening up the door to being personally sued by owners for the costs if the president violates the fiduciary duties. To take the onus off the president, if the association has an attorney, this could be asked of the attorney.

It begs the question, what else is being done not by the book? Ask for the repair records, costs, board minutes. In some states all board emails are open to owners which is why they might have separate emails for business.

Was this discussed in a board meeting? Were rules of notification/minutes and so forth followed according to statute?

Homeowner associations are governed by a number of complex rules: the governing documents, common ownership laws and non-profit statutes. I doubt the president is in compliance with all of these when asked by owners regarding the damages.

Last edited by webster; 08-18-2023 at 08:43 AM..

Old 08-18-2023, 05:15 PM

809 posts, read 1,181,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
The HOA Board can’t do anything because they don’t have those sort of legal powers, but the police can. File a report. Get your witnesses to provide statements.

We had the son of a resident hit and knock down a decorative street lamp. There were witnesses. The resident refused to pay for the damage and the HOA CC&Rs had no language to compel them to do so. A police report was filed and lo and behold the parents stepped up to pay for the repairs. Just because you live in an HOA community it doesn’t mean that Local, State and Federal laws do not apply.
Thank you for this information. I will pass it on to the HOA Board members.

Old 08-18-2023, 05:52 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,980,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
I would think that this advice would apply if the Condo Association refuses to correct the vandalism.
That is why I think some of the responses are laughable. We have no idea what is occurring especially with the crumbs of information the OP has provided. For all we know, the COA's President or Board may not yet be in a position to disclose some information openly, or they may be under some legal advice to not yet speak publicly about this.

Since this seems to only be based on the OP's "Feeling" on what is happening, I get the impression this is some fishing for sympathy type post or a validate that HOA's (COA as you pointed out) are evil an corrupt. Heck, for all we know, the OP may have been the vandal and trying to find out if their identity may be disclosed.

Old 08-20-2023, 06:39 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,216,608 times
I would follow up any written complaints to the HOA with a police report as well.

Old 08-20-2023, 10:59 AM

6,474 posts, read 10,341,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
I would follow up any written complaints to the HOA with a police report as well.
Excellent advice. Cover all your bases.

Old 08-20-2023, 01:42 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,373,473 times
I've been sitting in the wings to see what others would suggest. Having experienced such a situation as an HOA officer, I can tell you what we did:

Reported the damage to the police. In our case, we had witnesses. Notified our insurer, gave them the perp's insurance and other identification, and let the system deal with it. We had to use reserve funds to cover repairs, but we were reimbursed by the insurance company not long after they were expended. I'm quite sure they subrogated the claim and got a settlement from the driver's insurer.

In our case, it was a vehicle crashing through a very large metal gate to our private park. I seem to recall the repairs running around $11k.

RM

Old 08-24-2023, 06:16 AM

23,865 posts, read 33,540,585 times
Quote:
Thank you for this information. I will pass it on to the HOA Board members.

Hopefully they will take his advice to call the police.

You saw it was vandalized, heard the vandal was bragging but no one told you who that vandal was? I'm surprised because some people really like to spread around what they found out about whatever.

What kind of damage was done? Did it get fixed yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate