Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 06:38 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,207,654 times

Advertisements

Great post, thanks so much!REPS FOR YA!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
This recipe is very similar to what my wife makes, dressing and giblet gravy.

KathrynAragon KathrynAragon started this thread KathrynAragon won $500 in our forum's Most Informative Poster contest - Fourth Edition (Sep-Oct 2012). Over $99,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
befriend
Status: "Never unnecessarily limit your options." (set 7 days ago)

25,529 posts, read 16,397,964 times

OK, I decided to share this cornbread dressing recipe because I am afraid it will be lost if I don't. It hasn't been written down till I did so a couple of years ago, but it's a very old Southern recipe from Louisiana. It's at least 100 years old. Both my family and my husband's family is from the same area of Louisiana and both families had very similar cornbread recipes but my mother in law's was absolutely THE BEST so I finally sat with her and wrote down every step.

It's an ordeal but WELL WORTH IT. If you're looking for an authentic, down home southern dressing recipe for cornbread dressing, you can't get much more authentic than this! Notice that there aren't really any spices in this recipe (don't worry - it's very flavorful) - I guess this is because back in the day, spices were a luxury that people didn't always have available.

Neva's Deluxe Cornbread Dressing

Whole chicken, boiled and cut up (boil in water, with skin on, plenty of salt and pepper) - don't dice too small.

Two skillets of cornbread (you can make more and make a LOT of this dressing because it freezes well so you can save the extra for Christmas)

6-8 eggs boiled and mashed fine with a fork

Small head of celery, diced finely, boiled in water with a pad of butter till tender, then strained off

Two large yellow onions, diced finely, boiled in water with a pad of butter till tender, then strained off

Crumble the cornbread very finely. Mix all ingredients except chicken together in a very large bowl or pan. You can pour some of the vegetable water in to moisten as well as the 7-8 or so ladles of chicken broth. The mixture should be loose but not soupy.

Salt to taste. A sprinkling of fresh ground pepper over the top is good too. You can try to add other spices but I promise you that this is delicious without any other seasonings. Hard to believe but true.

Spoon into baking pans and don't pack down, just smooth the top down. Top with large chunks of chicken. Don't make dressing too deep in pan - about two inches max.

Save some chicken, a couple of finely diced/mashed boiled eggs, and some of the cornbread/vegetable mixture aside to mix into gravy. I also save the giblets. I dice the chicken and the giblets up VERY finely to mix into the gravy. The gravy really is only 1-2 cups of the dressing, the small chicken pieces, two mashed boiled eggs, a couple of spoonfuls of the veggies and chicken broth as needed. You can add a thickener if you like, but if you add enough of the dressing mixture (mostly cornbread) you won't need much thickener. Add a little at a time.

This takes all day to make but it makes a LOT and like I said, it freezes well, so I just make up enough for Thanksgiving and Christmas and freeze it.

Enjoy!

Is this your recipe or Kathryn Aragon's recipe? Either way, many thanks! Looks yummy!

Last edited by countrylv22; 12-12-2016 at 07:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2016, 07:08 PM

7,493 posts, read 6,281,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylv22 View Post
Great post, thanks so much!REPS FOR YA!!

Is this your recipe or Kathryn Aragon's recipe? Either way, many thanks! Looks yummy!
It is definitely KathrynAragon's recipe. The one my my wife uses is very similar and was passed down to her by her Mother. It is good. We are going to cook it for Christmas.

Old 11-09-2021, 06:16 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,306,880 times
Seems like an appropriate time to bring this thread back?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes