Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 08:23 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times

Advertisements

I just checked my Aunt Jemima package and it's just enriched cornmeal without any other added ingredients. The recipe on the package calls for sugar, 1/4 cup, I think, but I usually put in about 2 teaspoons. My father never liked it sweet, but my mother does and I'm usually making it to share with her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 08:01 PM

410 posts, read 1,107,859 times
Two easy and delicious ways I like to make cornbread:

1. Make one package of Betty White WHITE cornbread mix according to directions and add 1/4 cup sugar.

2. Make two packages of Jiffy cornbread mix according to directions, add a can of creamed corn and a small can of chopped green chiles.

Old 11-01-2008, 12:29 AM

424 posts, read 1,675,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post

Southern Cornbread

2 cups self rising corn meal
¼ cup bacon drippings (may substitute liquid veg shortening)
1 ½ cups buttermilk

Heat oven to 450°, put shortening in cast iron skillet (or pan) and place in oven. Heat until very hot (needs to be smoking). Mix corn meal and buttermilk in bowl. When shortening is hot, pour it into cornmeal mix and stir. Pour batter into hot pan. Bake until crisp and done. (@ 20 minutes)

I agree with southernlady5464...her recipe is the basic one I use although I WILL substitute lard if I have some that is fresh and sometimes add egg. In no event would I add sugar, well, not for MY taste.

The one favorite variation I enjoy is to add some cracklings/cracklin's to the batter prior to pouring the batter into the hot skillet. When I make cracklin' cornbread I will sometimes cut back on the amount of hot grease added to the batter since the cracklin's will render their fat as the bread cooks. Make sure your cracklin's are not stale or rancid...some of the best ones can be found at small markets, some Hispanic grocers, etc., that have high turnover in product and specialize in carrying local offerings.

Old 11-01-2008, 05:30 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,323,429 times
Mine is more often the northern 'sweet' one, because that's what my husband preferred, though it wasn't very sweet with just a bit of sugar.

1 cup flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/4-1/2 cup sugar
1 T baking powder
I cup milk
1 or 2 eggs, depending on size
1/2 cup oil [or bacon grease]

Stir up all the dry ingredients, add the egg[s], milk, and oil and mix it all in. I baked it in a cake pan with a removable bottom. Split the hot slices and slather with real butter.

But the best I've ever made was with cornmeal I'd ground myself with a hand grinder. I'd pour 1 cup of boiling water over it, then mix the same dry ingredients as above including half a cup or so of powdered milk in a separate bowl. Once the cornmeal was cool enough, stir everything in at once and bake in a pre-heated cast iron skillet. And once again, slather with real butter. Margarine is a waste of perfectly good cornbread.

Old 11-01-2008, 05:48 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,290,327 times
My husband says the main reason he married me was that I cooked cornbread like his grandmother!

Cornbread

Take a small cast iron skillet - about 8-9 inches in diameter. Place a large "glob" (about a heaping tablespoon) of Crisco into it. Put into oven and turn oven on to 500 degrees. While grease is getting hot, Take a glass bowl - with a fork, beat well one egg. Add 1 cup Martha White Buttermilk Cornmeal mix (no substitutions!). Add about 1 teaspoon of salt. Add 1 and 1/2 cup of buttermilk (whole or low fat). Mix well with fork. When Crisco is smoking hot, pour into cornmeal mixture and stir well. Pour immediately back into skillet and bake at 425 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes. When done, Immediately "shake" skillet and invert over a large dinner plate. If you leave the cornbread in the skillet the "crust" will get somewhat "tough" and not be crisp.

I use this recipe doubled for my homemade dressing!

Old 02-12-2009, 03:14 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,290,327 times
Making this one tonight!

Old 03-03-2009, 07:55 PM

106 posts, read 682,434 times
My grandmother used to make this recipe and it is absolutely delicious. She called it Spoon Cornbread and itnever fails.

2 (8 oz.) boxes of Jiffy Cornbread mix
2 eggs
8 oz. sour cream
2 Tbls. sugar
1 (15 oz.) can of creamed corn
1/2 c. (1 stick) butter

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Melt butter in a 13" x 9" pan.
2) Mix remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Pour over the melted butter and spread evenly.
3) Bake for 35-45 minutes or until top is light golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Enjoy!

Old 06-16-2013, 01:28 AM

878 posts, read 2,737,433 times
Default Cornbread recipe

Anyone have a really good recipe. I am obsessed with the one from Whole Foods but at 4.99 per pound I thought it much more economical to make it. I pulled the one below from a website but thought I would ask you guys also. Thanks in advance.

1 cup flour
1 cup cornmeal
2/3 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 egg
1 cup milk
1/3 cup veg oil

Mix all together. Bake in 9x9 pan at around 375 for 20-25 minutes.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:26 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,820,370 times
Do you like it savory or sweet? Dense, just moist or a bit crumbly? Fine crumb or a bit coarser. That will help with finding the right recipe, there are a lot of variations.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:19 AM

878 posts, read 2,737,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Do you like it savory or sweet? Dense, just moist or a bit crumbly? Fine crumb or a bit coarser. That will help with finding the right recipe, there are a lot of variations.
Thank you...did not realize it varied so much...I like slightly crumbly, not overly sweet, fine crumb. Or just like Whole Foods for those that are familiar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes