Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 06:12 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,230,359 times

Advertisements

Anybody know the secret to incredible homemade mac & cheese? If you do are you willing to share??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 05:49 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,847,106 times
I don't know if mine would be called incredible but it's creamy and good.

I make a white sauce (butter/flour/milk) salt, white pepper, little worstershire and tabasco. Then I add cheese-could be velveeta, cheddar, a mix of whatever I have on hand. When melted into sauce mix with either elbows or small shells, put in buttered casserole (I make sure macaroni's are well covered in the sauce). Top with buttered breadcrumbs and bake for about 20 min.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:06 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,304,113 times
2 cups (8 oz.) elbow macaroni, uncooked
3/4 lb. (12 oz.) VELVEETA Pasteurized Prepared Cheese Product, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1/3 cup milk
1/8 tsp. pepper

COOK macaroni as directed on package; drain well. Return to pan.
ADD remaining ingredients; mix well. Cook on low heat until VELVEETA is completely melted and mixture is well blended, stirring frequently.

This is a good recipe, and I have been trying to make homemade (not out of the box) mac & cheese for a while using cheddar cheese. This never turns out well. Cheddar cheese separates and doesn't stick to the macaroni. One thing -- this recipe calls for WAY too much velveeta (no wonder, this is Kraft's site). It ends up at the bottom of the pot and all over the plate. Do less than half of the velveeta & milk and it should be fine. I use 2 oz of velveeta and 1 tbsp of milk per cup of mac. I also like to add salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper.

My husband is a Valveeta lover..this is a simple and good recipe. It took me a little time to get it the way we like it.

LaceyEx...yours sounds great!

Old 01-26-2008, 06:56 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,230,359 times
They both sound good! I have had the same trouble with cheddar, glad to know it isn't just me doing something stupid.......

Old 01-26-2008, 07:09 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,847,106 times
To me cheddar is "greasy" when cooked and I don't care for the taste. Most time I use velveeta.

Old 01-26-2008, 07:22 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,112,974 times
I asked my dad for his delicious mac n cheese recipe - he laughed and said look on the back of the elbow noodle box.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:14 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,755,083 times
Couple things that make mac and cheese really good...the white sauce mentioned is one of them. Another thing is baking it after it's made, with more cheese added on top of course. If you intend to bake it though, don't quite fully cook the elbows because they're going to soften up just a bit during baking and you don't want a solid mess of pasta.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:36 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,447,646 times
Default GMA Contest

Check out the website for Good Morning America -- I think you access it from ABC's site. GMA and Emeril are sponsoring a macaroni and cheese recipe contest.

I make mine with a white sauce, add whatever cheese(s) I want at the time, put it in a casserole, and top it with lightly toasted bread crumbs or cracker topping, and bake at about 350 until it's hot and bubbly. I suppose I am a mac-and-cheese purist as I never put other stuff in it -- but I admit things like bacon or broccoli sound enticing.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:17 AM
miu

17,767 posts, read 40,161,054 times
Default Lobster Macaroni and Cheese!!!

This recipe I got off a Michael Smith cooking show on the Discovery Channel. The mac and cheese recipe is an old family recipe of his, but for the show, it kicked it up a notch by adding in Maine lobster. I guess take out the lobster if you want a more traditional approach to your mac and cheese.

Lobster Macaroni and Cheese

There are few things as good as a warm bowl of homemade macaroni and cheese especially when it doesn't come out of a box! I don't normally put lobster in mine - and this version is great without my favorite crustacean - but it's a great way to make the ordinary extraordinary!

Lobster Macaroni and Cheese

1 box of penne pasta
1 stick of butter
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 cup of flour
1/2 cup of white wine
1 can of evaporated milk
4 cups of milk
1 tablespoon of paprika
2 tablespoons of Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
8 ounces of cheddar cheese, grated
8 ounces of Monterrey jack cheese, grated
Salt and pepper
2 one-pound lobsters, cooked and shelled
2 cups of breadcrumbs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Drop the pasta into boiling, salted water and cook until almost tender, about 12 minutes. Make sure the water tastes like a day at the beach, as the pasta will absorb it and become properly seasoned. The pasta should not be fully cooked; it should have just a touch of firmness when tasted. Drain well.
Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat, add garlic and cook for several minutes until it softens. Add the flour and stir with a wooden spoon until a smooth paste forms. Continue cooking for a few more minutes, in effect toasting the mixture and adding flavour to it. Slowly stir in the wine and continue mixing until smooth and then add both milks, mixing well again. Continue whisking until the mixture coats the back of a spoon. Add paprika, Dijon, cayenne, salt, pepper and cheeses and stir until melted.
Roughly chop lobster meat and add to the cheese mixture along with the pasta. Stir well to combine and season with salt and pepper. Pour into a 9-inch by 13-inch ovenproof casserole or similar dish. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and bake until the mixture is heated through and the breadcrumbs are golden brown, about 30 minutes.
Yield: 6 servings

Old 01-28-2008, 04:05 PM

3 posts, read 14,225 times
Default Here You Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
Anybody know the secret to incredible homemade mac & cheese? If you do are you willing to share??

Creamy Macaroni and Cheese

[CENTER][CENTER]
file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/user/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtml1/01/clip_image002.jpg (broken link)[/CENTER][/CENTER]
2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni (an 8-ounce box isn't quite 2 cups)
4 tablespoons (1/2 stuck) butter, cut into pieces
2 1/2 cups (about 10 ounces) grated sharp Cheddar cheese
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup sour cream
1 (10 3/4-ounce) can condensed Cheddar cheese soup
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup whole milk
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Boil the macaroni in a 2 quart saucepan in plenty of water until tender, about 7 minutes. Drain. In a medium saucepan, mix butter and cheese. Stir until the cheese melts. In a slow cooker, combine cheese/butter mixture and add the eggs, sour cream, soup, salt, milk, mustard and pepper and stir well. Then add drained macaroni and stir again. Set the slow cooker on low setting and cook for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes